Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Stock Market/Investing/Day Trading/Speculative Trading Thread

I've got a total of $200 invested in crypto. Coinbase has a lot of options now.

View attachment 2777

6 more pages if there's something in particular you're looking for.
There is a crypto called 1 inch???? @Elizabeth Reed is that yours?

Donald Trump Laugh GIF by Election 2020

I've got a total of $200 invested in crypto. Coinbase has a lot of options now.

View attachment 2777

6 more pages if there's something in particular you're looking for.
Won't be throwing huge money around. More of a speculative ride the wave investment approach with the crypto. Been looking into buying a little of Bitcoin, Ethereum and Cardano.

Looks like another day of laughing at the chicken littles who went all cash last year

How much are you trading? lol
Nothing these days, but did a lot when I was following the tMB crypto crew on Discord. And every trade is a taxable event. Plus, it's such a weird asset to assign $USD values to. You buy Bitcoin using $USD, then sell the Bitcoin to buy a shitcoin. Then you sell that shitcoin (essentially convert it to another coin, which you use to buy yet another shitcoin, less transaction fee). What's the value of that Bitcoin or the ratio of the shitcoin-to-Bitcoin at that precise moment in $USD when the crypto currency exchanges DNGAF about that unit of measure? It's nightmarish to track.

The tax software does all that in one of two ways:
  1. You export your transaction history and import it into the software, or
  2. You grant access to the software via secure API to your account or ledger on the crypto exchange (read only) so it can pull the entire transaction history and - if you're still trading on that exchange - keep up with your P&L for all of your transactions.
I tried doing that in a spreadsheet, and it was a nightmare. Using a 3rd party service also gives me "some" credibility in reporting those transactions to the IRS vs. "here's my spreadsheet - ain't it a beaut?" $ well spent in my mind.

Nothing these days, but did a lot when I was following the tMB crypto crew on Discord. And every trade is a taxable event. Plus, it's such a weird asset to assign $USD values to. You buy Bitcoin using $USD, then sell the Bitcoin to buy a shitcoin. Then you sell that shitcoin (essentially convert it to another coin, which you use to buy yet another shitcoin, less transaction fee). What's the value of that Bitcoin or the ratio of the shitcoin-to-Bitcoin at that precise moment in $USD when the crypto currency exchanges DNGAF about that unit of measure? It's nightmarish to track.

2. You grant access to the software via secure API to your account or ledger on the crypto exchange (read only) so it can pull the entire transaction history and - if you're still trading on that exchange - keep up with your P&L for all of your transactions.
I tried doing that in a spreadsheet, and it was a nightmare. Using a 3rd party service also gives me "some" credibility in reporting those transactions to the IRS vs. "here's my spreadsheet - ain't it a beaut?" $ well spent in my mind.
That would be annoying. How much cheaper are the fees going from bitcoin to shitcoin instead of just going to US $?

season 2 procrastination GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

I'm guessing there are maybe only 10% of crypto investors that know that each transaction is taxable, weird. Good to know though.

season 2 procrastination GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

I'm guessing there are maybe only 10% of crypto investors that know that each transaction is taxable, weird. Good to know though.
It's just like trading stock. Every time you sell a stock its a taxable event. Doesn't matter if you reinvest in something else or pull the cash out of the account.

The goofy thing is going crypto to crypto. I hadn't seen anyone do that.

That would be annoying. How much cheaper are the fees going from bitcoin to shitcoin instead of just going to US $?
The unit of exchange doesn't matter to the crypto exchanges with respect to fees. And - depending on the exchange itself - the transaction is rarely done from coin to $USD. It's coin-to-coin, which makes it fun to track for tax reporting porpoises.

The unit of exchange doesn't matter to the crypto exchanges with respect to fees. And - depending on the exchange itself - the transaction is rarely done from coin to $USD. It's coin-to-coin, which makes it fun to track for tax reporting porpoises.
I know you can do coin to coin but I've always sold one to go to USD and then bought another. Not sure I see the advantage (or purpose) of muddling the waters by going Coin to Coin.

It's just like trading stock. Every time you sell a stock its a taxable event. Doesn't matter if you reinvest in something else or pull the cash out of the account.

The goofy thing is going crypto to crypto. I hadn't seen anyone do that.
Jim - Shown below are some actual transactions of mine from 2018. Without tax reporting software doing the work, tell me how I convert that to $USD to report it on my taxes? Nightmare.

Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 9.57.58 AM.png

I know you can do coin to coin but I've always sold one to go to USD and then bought another. Not sure I see the advantage (or purpose) of muddling the waters by going Coin to Coin.
Back then, many of the exchanges didn't support $USD transactions. It wasn't a choice I made - it's how things worked on Binance, BleuTrade, etc. If you wanted to trade outside of Coinbase - which supported three (3) coins back then, you moved your coin to another exchange and traded coin-to-coin.

Back then, many of the exchanges didn't support $USD transactions. It wasn't a choice I made - it's how things worked on Binance, BleuTrade, etc. If you wanted to trade outside of Coinbase - which supported three (3) coins back then, you moved your coin to another exchange and traded coin-to-coin.
Ah I see, didn’t realize that. That was before I started trading.

What a pain in the ass

Twitter with the streak-busting drop (9% after hours ... so far). EABOD, Jack Dorsey.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back