Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Stock Market/Investing/Day Trading/Speculative Trading Thread (15 Viewers)

That SOB Van Owen

In Mombasa drinkin’ gin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Thought I’d start a thread for investing/trading. We can discuss ideas and where we think things are going.

for the last year and a half or so, I’ve dedicated a portion of my Roth space to a variant of the leveraged ETF strategy using UPRO, TQQ, and TMF. It’s worked out very well.

Ive also done well buying Futures on the S&P, Russel and Nasdaq lately. I don’t really day trade them, but I’m not leveraged incredibly highly either. May take a small short position soon, but will probably wait until after stimulus is passed.

Driveway Jordan

Wide Receiver
Insider
Nebrasketball
tPB OG
Is this the high-roller thread? I've always found it amusing the amount of people on RSS and other MB's that are just Buffet-level sages at investing and the stock market. It must be a ridiculously high proportion of people compared to the general public.

Last edited:

That SOB Van Owen

In Mombasa drinkin’ gin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Is this the high-roller thread? I've always found it amusing the amount of people on RSS and other MB's that are just Buffet-level sages at investing and the stock market. It must a ridiculously high proportion of people compared to the general public.

I mean I have my retirement accounts, which I have a buy and hold strategy, including the leveraged ETF strategy I discussed. I also have taxable “buy and hold” accounts.

I then have a smaller account that I use for speculation that I trade options and futures in. This is money I can afford to lose.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Is this the high-roller thread? I've always found it amusing the amount of people on RSS and other MB's that are just Buffet-level sages at investing and the stock market. It must a ridiculously high proportion of people compared to the general public.
I take most with a grain of salt. Its just like gambling. Nobody talks about their losers. I was hell bent on putting 50k on shorting the market in early December with a June contract. Moved 50k into the account and then a friend of mine talked me off the ledge. I'd more than likely have been 50k poorer at that point.

I still think it's the play but timing is everything. Maybe mid year I'll still make it. Doubt I'll have the balls though. I'm not going to go bankrupt losing 50k but it would definitely hurt and wife might cut off the balls I do have.

You also have to realize a lot of RSS in those conversations are older and making these moves with retirement accounts. Another possibility is they're financial advisors making the moves with other peoples money. Then you have the legitimate high rollers.

That SOB Van Owen

In Mombasa drinkin’ gin
Elite Member
tPB OG

just to add on, I did not mean for this to be a high roller thread at all. Like I said, most of my capital is in retirement accounts. I do have a spec account, but I can’t afford to risk the $50k that Jim can on a short. Mostly because my wife likes spending money way too much.

iruletheskool

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
Did fairly well day trading the crazy covid market. Settled now and mostly building for long-term.

I first started when I had all that free time and learned on a fly. Feels weird saying that with the amount of money I put in, but the timing was too good to not.

Huskersballz

Running Back
Elite Member
Index funds and real estate for me currently, all my trades have to be pre-cleared by my firms compliance department so that makes high frequency trading fairly difficult for me.

That SOB Van Owen

In Mombasa drinkin’ gin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Index funds and real estate for me currently, all my trades have to be pre-cleared by my firms compliance department so that makes high frequency trading fairly difficult for me.

Do you work for an audit firm?

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
I’m trying out swing trading.

Buying some SPACs. Just kind of fucking around atm. Making money though, which is a plus.

Red Finger

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
What do you guys think of Walmart and Disney? Not normally something i look into, but am a little curious about both.

I do regret not buying Disney 6 months ago. That....was dumb. Boeing too 😞. Otherwise i did pretty good during covid.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
What do you guys think of Walmart and Disney? Not normally something i look into, but am a little curious about both.

I do regret not buying Disney 6 months ago. That....was dumb. Boeing too 😞. Otherwise i did pretty good during covid.
You know you won’t lose money on Walmart. They are recession proof.

Red Finger

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
Thoughts on investing in 5G? That's pretty general I know. Doing a little research this morning, just kinda depends which direction a person wants to go.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds