Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Outdoors thread (6 Viewers)

HuskerPAC

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
I'm from Beatrice but went to UNL for undergrad. My current school district was at a career fair in Lincoln and I figured what the hell. My roommate, the year before, took a job in Alaska and really enjoyed it. A lot of people spend a couple of years teaching here and then they head back to wherever they came from. However, I started coaching basketball got a lot of opportunities to do some cool stuff like being a radio dj, etc.
Pretty jealous man. I had an opportunity to guide hunts in Montana for a year but then got into grad school and here I am.

BushAK

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
tPB OG
Pretty jealous man. I had an opportunity to guide hunts in Montana for a year but then got into grad school and here I am.
Yeah, narrow window to do something like being a guide. My area is pretty wild but you need some expensive toys to actually enjoy it. I'm moving to Wasilla at the end of this month. It's way easier to get out to cool stuff but you are also doing it with a hundred of your closest friends. I'm going to be able to fish probably every day but my hunting trips will probably be few and far between. I have a springer spaniel puppy that I'm going to work on hunting grouse.

hothouse_corn

Wide Receiver
Yeah, narrow window to do something like being a guide. My area is pretty wild but you need some expensive toys to actually enjoy it. I'm moving to Wasilla at the end of this month. It's way easier to get out to cool stuff but you are also doing it with a hundred of your closest friends. I'm going to be able to fish probably every day but my hunting trips will probably be few and far between. I have a springer spaniel puppy that I'm going to work on hunting grouse.

Awesome about the Wasilla thing. You'll be able to see Russia from your patio or deck.

BushAK

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
tPB OG
Awesome about the Wasilla thing. You'll be able to see Russia from your patio or deck.
I was actually a lot closer to Russia where I was. Funny enough, one of my first job offers was for little Diamede Island. Big Diamede Island is Russian territory and I think it's 50 miles or something like that.

hothouse_corn

Wide Receiver
I was actually a lot closer to Russia where I was. Funny enough, one of my first job offers was for little Diamede Island. Big Diamede Island is Russian territory and I think it's 50 miles or something like that.

I'm sure you got what I was referencing, because you're a smart cookie.

Even at 50 miles between those two Diamede Islands, you wouldn't be able to see one island from the other unless you were hang-gliding, in a hot air balloon, or on another flying machine of some sort.

BushAK

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
tPB OG
I'm sure you got what I was referencing, because you're a smart cookie.

Even at 50 miles between those two Diamede Islands, you wouldn't be able to see one island from the other unless you were hang-gliding, in a hot air balloon, or on another flying machine of some sort.
I was wrong. Apparently, they are 2 miles apart. Speaking of the Palins, my buddy taught all their kids and really liked their family until 2008. He said it was amazing how much some fame and cameras could change people.

hothouse_corn

Wide Receiver
Darn, I was hoping you were still on little Diamede, and could easily take a picture from the highest vantage point there to show us Russia's Diamede.

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG

look at this Big City Boy

congrats man, I too have moved to the big city (McCook) its been an adjustment

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG
I was wrong. Apparently, they are 2 miles apart. Speaking of the Palins, my buddy taught all their kids and really liked their family until 2008. He said it was amazing how much some fame and cameras could change people.

I hate Sarah Palin's accent more than anything. I assume based on many TV shows set in Alaska thats just Palin and not how all Alaska people talk.

BBTown Bomber

In Memoriam 1952-2023
tPB OG
Stagnant thread is stagnant. OK - two pics to get it rolling again:

1) My back yard, after a fresh haircut in advance of the next five days of rain. I'll probably need goats to get it down to mowing height after the rains are done next week, but for now ... looking good, Lewis!

View attachment 3002

2) One week from TODAY, I pick this coach up from Leach Camper Sales in Lincoln. Can't wait to get it loaded up and hit the road to parts unknown. My daughter says camping is a "White Trash Bash". I'm cutting off her Wal-Mart credit card and Tattoo Studio funds if she continues to denigrate my love for the great outdoors.

View attachment 3003
If you happen to ever find yoreself approx 469 miles west of Bennington.......well, you know. 😎

bbenson67

Cornerback
Elite Member
tPB OG
No, if anything people have a Minnesota or Wisconsin accent.
I hate that accent. It's like they're intentionally trying to screw up vowels. Wisconsin becomes Wiscansin and Minnesota becomes Minniesoooota. They also eat weird shit like Lutefisk for Christmas (gratuitous cultural slur).

But the worst by a large margin if you don't count pidgin English in Hawaii, is Baltimore. It's a cross between a badly done British accent and a slurring of any word over 2 syllables. Baltimore becomes Ballimer. There's a reason we called them Baltimorons.

hothouse_corn

Wide Receiver
I hate that accent. It's like they're intentionally trying to screw up vowels. Wisconsin becomes Wiscansin and Minnesota becomes Minniesoooota. They also eat weird shit like Lutefisk for Christmas (gratuitous cultural slur).

But the worst by a large margin if you don't count pidgin English in Hawaii, is Baltimore. It's a cross between a badly done British accent and a slurring of any word over 2 syllables. Baltimore becomes Ballimer. There's a reason we called them Baltimorons.

I think Nebraskan's have the most malleable accents of all the regions. At least I hope so.

I thought when I left NE in 2003 that I spoke like Johnny Carson. Then I spent four years in Florida, and seven in Oklahoma. Right after my stint in OK, I started recording videos for students, and I sound like the biggest fucking hick.

Fast forward though six years in eastern SD, and I probably sound like a fricken Canadian. Wiscansin and Minnesoootah, or what evs.

bbenson67

Cornerback
Elite Member
tPB OG
I think Nebraskan's have the most malleable accents of all the regions. At least I hope so.

I thought when I left NE in 2003 that I spoke like Johnny Carson. Then I spent four years in Florida, and seven in Oklahoma. Right after my stint in OK, I started recording videos for students, and I sound like the biggest fucking hick.

Fast forward though six years in eastern SD, and I probably sound like a fricken Canadian. Wiscansin and Minnesoootah, or what evs.
I think compared to what one would call regional accents Nebraskans speak pretty unaccented English. Having said that I still say ruf for roof and crick for creek and an occasional Warshington escapes when my guard is down or I'm drinking. My wife a retired high school English teacher loses her mind when I insist that the plural of roof is roofs. The one midwestern coloquialism I've lost after living in L.A. for over 40 years is pop. Soda for me now.

hothouse_corn

Wide Receiver
I think compared to what one would call regional accents Nebraskans speak pretty unaccented English. Having said that I still say ruf for roof and crick for creek and an occasional Warshington escapes when my guard is down or I'm drinking. My wife a retired high school English teacher loses her mind when I insist that the plural of roof is roofs. The one midwestern coloquialism I've lost after living in L.A. for over 40 years is pop. Soda for me now.
I'm in a "pop" place now, but still say soda because I'm fine with gas station folks judging me as weird.

The cooler doors are labelled "Pop."

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds