Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Outdoors thread

Looked like a freaking alligator. My buddy missed him with the net the first go and I about lost it on him. I could likely go catch bigger musky, but I told my dad I don’t think he’ll ever beat that pike. It was amazing!
My dad lost a mid 50s Muskie because of a net mishap. They thought it was over 55”. My dad acted fine but was secretly fuming I guess. I know his friend felt awful.

Do any of you Westwrn Nebraska guys have advice on where a guy can have a legitimate crack at a big Nebraska bull, private or public? I’m an avid hunter but being from eastern Nebraska I don’t have any connections past Elsie. The one and only thing holding me back from applying for a tag or points is being scared that I’ll draw and not have the connection made. Pretty dumb though to have not been at least applying for points by now.

We had a few pike on years ago in Manitoba that we never saw that had to be giants
I've got a buddy, who lives on the Yukon River in Alaska, who pulls in a couple 50+ inch pike each year through the ice or just fishing backwater sloughs. Pike is shit where I live as most are around 20 inches and super skinny. A 30-inch pike is considered a monster. We've done well throwing mouse patterns around beavers on some backwater streams.
Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 11.40.17 AM.png

Last edited:
I've got a buddy, who lives on the Yukon River in Alaska, who pulls in a couple 50+ inch pike each year through the ice or just fishing backwater sloughs. Pike is shit where I live as most are around 20 inches and super skinny. A 30-inch pike is considered a monster. We've done well throwing mouse patterns around beavers on some backwater streams.
View attachment 2910
That's a slob. You ever throw bunnies?

Like a streamer made from a bunny strip.
Oh yeah, I think most of my streamer box is bunny streamers. I actually usually fish the bunny streamers that I've poorly tied. Seems like a good use of ones that I'd never fish for trout.

Like a streamer made from a bunny strip.
Here are some streamers that I’ve tied this spring. We can only have one hook in Alaska waters so I typically use a trailer hook. If I was tying flies specifically for pike then I would ditch the trailer hook and use a front hook. I probably have 50 streamers that I've tied up this spring.

Attachments

• 6AE5A1E9-76B6-49D7-9164-F7776708F53D.jpeg
    6AE5A1E9-76B6-49D7-9164-F7776708F53D.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Here are some streamers that I’ve tied this spring. We can only have one hook in Alaska writers so I typically use a trailer hook. If I was tying flies specifically for pike then I would ditch the trailer hook and use a front hook.
Look pretty damn good to me.

NhxkZWP.jpg
D53AD5ED-42EF-48E5-BD96-E318B662D08D.jpeg
We need to get dogs together for a walk, he was lookin for illegals that morning

Look pretty damn good to me.
I do not want to know how much I've spent on fly tying materials over the past year. It was my main coping skill since I didn't have kids in the classroom. I bet I have over a thousand dollars worth of streamers and nymphs that I've tied over the past year. I've sent a bunch back to my brother for bass fishing.

I do not want to know how much I've spent on fly tying materials over the past year. It was my main coping skill since I didn't have kids in the classroom. I bet I have over a thousand dollars worth of streamers and nymphs that I've tied over the past year. I've sent a bunch back to my brother for bass fishing.
That’s a good coping skill brother, beats whacking off 6x/day

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back