Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Outdoors thread

Landscape looks familiar!

Seen any Javelinas? We ran across 10 of them the other evenings and cut across some desert to avoid.
None yet! Can’t wait to find some of those little critters w/ my pop gun 😂. Ya I heard you wanna keep the dogs away. Brew is legit 120 lbs but they will go after anything I heard

None yet! Can’t wait to find some of those little critters w/ my pop gun 😂. Ya I heard you wanna keep the dogs away. Brew is legit 120 lbs but they will go after anything I heard

Especially if they have babies with them

Coyotes eat the babies so the moms dont like regular dogs

Got a friend who lives in Orange County who claims they can never see the stars. Comes to the real western Nebraska for a visit and all he talks about are the stars and the 24/7 train whistles.

They're looking in the wrong places. You have to go to Beverly Hills and Santa Monica. Sorry, couldn't resist. It was just too perfect of a hanging curve to not take a swing.

The main problem in seeing the sky here is the fog and low clouds which roll in around sunset. Keeps us cool in the summer though so I can live with it.

View attachment 2905
north of rock springs, wyoming
My Dad was a Wyoming cowboy from Casper in his youth. When we were kids we'd go back every summer to visit his brother near Torrington. As soon as we crossed the Wyoming-Nebraska border he'd stop the car and grab a bunch of sagebrush and stuff it under the front seat. Now I feel like I'm home he would say. Marvelous picture.

They're looking in the wrong places. You have to go to Beverly Hills and Santa Monica. Sorry, couldn't resist. It was just too perfect of a hanging curve to not take a swing.

The main problem in seeing the sky here is the fog and low clouds which roll in around sunset. Keeps us cool in the summer though so I can live with it.
Is Joy Behar a star?? Think I’ll stick with total darkness.......😘

Last edited:

Regarding low hanging fruit I would taken a swing too......😉

My sister is back in Omaha this week. So far - since they've been gone - their camera systems have spotted Javelina, Bobcat and Coyote in their front yard in Scottsdale. It's all the NAOS area - the critters use them like hiking trails.

Stagnant thread is stagnant. OK - two pics to get it rolling again:

1) My back yard, after a fresh haircut in advance of the next five days of rain. I'll probably need goats to get it down to mowing height after the rains are done next week, but for now ... looking good, Lewis!

IMG_1547.jpeg

2) One week from TODAY, I pick this coach up from Leach Camper Sales in Lincoln. Can't wait to get it loaded up and hit the road to parts unknown. My daughter says camping is a "White Trash Bash". I'm cutting off her Wal-Mart credit card and Tattoo Studio funds if she continues to denigrate my love for the great outdoors.

Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 9.46.51 AM.png

Sat on the back deck this morning enjoying a cup of coffee and saw tons of birds flying around, so I thought I’d make a list. Here’s what I saw in a little over an hour:

Robin
Barn Swallow
Sparrow
Blackbird
Oriole
Turtle Dove
Cardinal
Goose
Red Tailed Hawk
Blue Jay
Yellow Finch
Wren
Purple Finch
Turkey Vulture
Magpie

In the area, but not (yet) seen today:
Red Headed Woodpecker (heard several)
Bald Eagle
Sea Gull (they fly over twice per day moving back and forth from Lake Bennington to Standing Bear Lake)

Stagnant thread is stagnant. OK - two pics to get it rolling again:

1) My back yard, after a fresh haircut in advance of the next five days of rain. I'll probably need goats to get it down to mowing height after the rains are done next week, but for now ... looking good, Lewis!

2) One week from TODAY, I pick this coach up from Leach Camper Sales in Lincoln. Can't wait to get it loaded up and hit the road to parts unknown. My daughter says camping is a "White Trash Bash". I'm cutting off her Wal-Mart credit card and Tattoo Studio funds if she continues to denigrate my love for the great outdoors.

View attachment 3003
What's the maintenance like on a camper like this?

What's the maintenance like on a camper like this?
external-content.duckduckgo.gif

Like everything mechanical, I'm sure it will break at inopportune times. I'm "reasonably" handy with fixit stuff, so I'm not intimidated by something that needs routine maintenance. Batteries need tending (think you, Amazon, for those cool solar trickle chargers) and you've definitely got to "winterize" them when not in use in cold weather. Our Grand Design coach also has a "four season protection package" and has has a heated and enclosed underbelly with suspended tanks to make sure the pipes don't freeze if you're cold weather camping. The enclosed underbelly will also help defer - but not prevent - critters from finding their way into the coach.

And everything that moves going down the road tends to shift, including seals, so I'm anticipating the need to visually inspect and re-caulk/re-seal the coach on a regular basis. I'm lucky our unit has a rear ladder and a "walk on" roof. That way, I'll feel better about sending Mrs. LHR up there with a caulk gun in her hand whilst I provide vocal encouragement and instructions from my zero gravity recliner on the ground. 😎

You and another guy on this board live in Alaska, I’ve gathered. How did you end up there? Where were you from originally? No way my wife would ever go for it, but I’ve always DREAMED of living in the wild for the rest of my days. I’ll sadly only be able to visit a few times for hunts. She does enjoy the outdoors and scenery, so I’m trying to convince her to come on a hunt or 2 with me someday.

You and another guy on this board live in Alaska, I’ve gathered. How did you end up there? Where were you from originally? No way my wife would ever go for it, but I’ve always DREAMED of living in the wild for the rest of my days. I’ll sadly only be able to visit a few times for hunts. She does enjoy the outdoors and scenery, so I’m trying to convince her to come on a hunt or 2 with me someday.
@BushAK

I'm from Beatrice but went to UNL for undergrad. My current school district was at a career fair in Lincoln and I figured what the hell. My roommate, the year before, took a job in Alaska and really enjoyed it. A lot of people spend a couple of years teaching here and then they head back to wherever they came from. However, I started coaching basketball got a lot of opportunities to do some cool stuff like being a radio dj, etc.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back