Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

OT: True Detective: S4 Night Country (2 Viewers)

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
So many misogynists in this thread omg

Angry Tv Show GIF by The Bold Type

Fargo Husker

Quarterback
Elite Member
The series checked all the right boxes in Hollywood:
- Climate-change
- White men suck
- Save the Indiginous people

Beyond that, it was a big cluster. So many loose and open storylines that had nothing to do with the main plot. I had hope a few episodes in, but when it started getting into the paranormal, they lost me.

Thinking back about the 4 seasons of TD, season 2 had a storyline that had so much potential with the Hollywood sex trafficking ring, but it only kind of scratched the surface. Obviously it's not going to full out itself. I think the political environment surrounding the entertainment industry has changed so much since season 1, with Epstein and Harvey Weinstin, etc...there's just a lot of topics they just aren't going to touch anymore.
You’re overthinking this IMO

Garbage writing
It’s much more just this ^^^^

BushAK

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
tPB OG
The series checked all the right boxes in Hollywood:
- Climate-change
- White men suck
- Save the Indiginous people

Beyond that, it was a big cluster. So many loose and open storylines that had nothing to do with the main plot. I had hope a few episodes in, but when it started getting into the paranormal, they lost me.

Thinking back about the 4 seasons of TD, season 2 had a storyline that had so much potential with the Hollywood sex trafficking ring, but it only kind of scratched the surface. Obviously it's not going to full out itself. I think the political environment surrounding the entertainment industry has changed so much since season 1, with Epstein and Harvey Weinstin, etc...there's just a lot of topics they just aren't going to touch anymore.
To be fair I didn’t really see any argument about climate change. The permafrost is melting and that’s not a controversial take. Up here Alaska Native rights and mining are pretty hot topics due to pollution. I lived in a community, like Ennis, for 11 years. There is some resentment towards outsiders especially the farther out you get from the hubs. The attitudes, the local women had towards the police not doing anything, is accurate as well.

All that being said, this season wasn’t great and would have done better not being attached to “True Detective”.

Driveway Jordan

Wide Receiver
Insider
Nebrasketball
tPB OG
To be fair I didn’t really see any argument about climate change. The permafrost is melting and that’s not a controversial take. Up here Alaska Native rights and mining are pretty hot topics due to pollution. I lived in a community, like Ennis, for 11 years. There is some resentment towards outsiders especially the farther out you get from the hubs. The attitudes, the local women had towards the police not doing anything, is accurate as well.

All that being said, this season wasn’t great and would have done better not being attached to “True Detective”.
Do those kinds of towns really attract an element of people who are looking to escape or not be found? Was that accurate?

BushAK

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
tPB OG
Do those kinds of towns really attract an element of people who are looking to escape or not be found? Was that accurate?
Oh for sure. I'll bounce around a bit but Alaska still carries this romantic notion of the final frontier where people can start fresh or escape. I've worked with teachers who moved to the bush due to a messy divorce, got fired, ran from something, etc. Ennis is a composite community of Nome, Kotzebue, and Barrow. I've been to all 3 quite a bit for basketball. The main industry is usually mining or oil work. Both industries offer good paying jobs and they aren't always all that particular about your background. You would find a similar relationship with the fishing industry as well.

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
I thought being 40mg deep was making the episode look like an SNL skit but apparently not

Crazy jumps in quality. Mostly shit but Jodie Foster’s Holden dialogue with Navarro was really well acted.

Everything else jumped the shark

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
It’s bad. I can’t believe I ever defended this show. It got off of its rail and never found any pathing.

Too much bullshit about their personal demons; not enough detective work.

Shouldn’t have ever slapped the name True Detective on this show.
I don't know if I would call it bad in a bubble but it's without question the worst season of this show. They've successfully hit reset on expectations of any future seasons.

Ext. 55

Big Poppa
Elite Member
tPB OG
while I’ve always had this weird fetish to bang Jodie Foster…a completely random point apparently I need to share…this series was hot garbage.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds