Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

OT: Gun Purchase Recs (1 Viewer)

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
I had buddies that used to clean up at the DU and NRA banquets in my former bush Alaska community. They were almost always during basketball season so I never got to attend.
Heading to a Pheasants Forever banquet in Woodbine, IA the weekend after next. Bringing raffle ticket cash, and fully anticipating taking home a new shotgun!

Huskerbuck85

Wide Receiver
That 30-30 round is my next lever action purchase. I've got smaller (.357 Mag / 38 Special, but that's with the daughter in AZ), and bigger (.44 Mag / 45-70 Gov't), but that 30-30 has been talking to me for about 18 months now. I'll have on in the blind with me for next deer season, now it's just a matter of selecting the right one for the collection. I really want a Henry case-hardened side gate, but need that Crypto to go to the moon (it's my mad money) before "pulling the trigger" on acquiring one (or two). Just looking at these beauties inspires a taffy pull.

View attachment 21328
Been a while but love hunting with my Winchester 94A. Feel more like a “real hunter” when I carry it. No soft butt plate either. Just a freakin sweet ole gun!

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
Been a while but love hunting with my Winchester 94A. Feel more like a “real hunter” when I carry it. No soft butt plate either. Just a freakin sweet ole gun!
That Model 94 Sporting Deluxe has the case hardened finish and side loading gate that are check-box items for my next purchase. Guess I may need to learn how to gunsmith yet ANOTHER brand of firearms!

Winchester Model 94 Deluxe Sporting - 534291117-01.jpg

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
I just bought $628 of .357 ammo from your boys @LoudHogRider

https://www.sgammo.com/

I will need it because I bought a Henry .357 carbine and I’m about to go wild pew pew pew, take that Bin Laden!, pew pew pew pew
They've had some killer deals on Winchester ammo lately. Buy it cheap; stack it deep!

I've got Henry Model X' in .44 and .357. Fun guns to shoot and those lever actions feel like they're on ball bearings. Sooo smooth. Time to head on over to Ranger Point Precision and make that baby truly yours. This link is gonna cost you $$$. Guaranteed.

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG
They've had some killer deals on Winchester ammo lately. Buy it cheap; stack it deep!

I got the wood cuz I love the classic look and also since I got the carbine Henry didn’t offer the X version anyways so not an option.

Winchester is exactly what I got. I bought 2 boxes of 200 rounds and also a box of this shot shell stuff. Im gonna test it and see if it even works because if it does I got a ton of crows I wanna kill.

It’s expensive as hell so I didn’t buy big until I know it’s legit.
IMG_5746.JPG

Huskerbuck85

Wide Receiver
I got the wood cuz I love the classic look and also since I got the carbine Henry didn’t offer the X version anyways so not an option.

Winchester is exactly what I got. I bought 2 boxes of 200 rounds and also a box of this shot shell stuff. Im gonna test it and see if it even works because if it does I got a ton of crows I wanna kill.

IMG_5746.JPG
That’ll likely only be good for some close range snakes

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG

IMG_5746.JPG
Love the classic look of the wood guns, I truly do.

As @Huskerbuck85 noted above, that's pretty much a snake round. I have no idea how effective it would be on crows. My Dad always said you could walk right up to a crow carrying a stick, but he couldn't get within a quarter mile if he was carrying a gun. They just seemed to know the difference.

Let us know how it works for you in that regard. If not, we now know the safest "snake free" zone in the great 308!

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG
That’ll likely only be good for some close range snakes
Love the classic look of the wood guns, I truly do.

As @Huskerbuck85 noted above, that's pretty much a snake round. I have no idea how effective it would be on crows. My Dad always said you could walk right up to a crow carrying a stick, but he couldn't get within a quarter mile if he was carrying a gun. They just seemed to know the difference.

Let us know how it works for you in that regard. If not, we now know the safest "snake free" zone in the great 308!

I’ll load up the carbine with some 38 spl and pew pew those mother fuckers.

I’m out in the middle of nowhere and I don’t give a fuck about shooting birds with a rifle I’ll do what I want.

bad-boys-bad-boys-what-you-gonna-do.gif

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
I’ll load up the carbine with some 38 spl and pew pew those mother fuckers.

I’m out in the middle of nowhere and I don’t give a fuck about shooting birds with a rifle I’ll do what I want.

bad-boys-bad-boys-what-you-gonna-do.gif
My F-I-L used to goose hunt with his M-1 from Korea. He’d lay on his back with a pillow under his right shoulder and blast them out of the sky while the flock flew overhead. Why bother calling them in, I guess.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
My F-I-L used to goose hunt with his M-1 from Korea. He’d lay on his back with a pillow under his right shoulder and blast them out of the sky while the flock flew overhead. Why bother calling them in, I guess.
My uncle did that (don't remember specifically what the gun was). Problem was he was in his backyard. The one he hit went right through the roof.

Dr.DrakeRamoray

Wide Receiver
Insider
tPB OG

I've got Henry Model X' in .44 and .357. Fun guns to shoot and those lever actions feel like they're on ball bearings. Sooo smooth. Time to head on over to Ranger Point Precision and make that baby truly yours. This link is gonna cost you $$$. Guaranteed.
This link, did in fact, cost me money

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
No new gun for deer season, but I did pick up a PSA 300 Blackout upper for one of the AR’s and topped it off with a Primary Arms1-6x24 reticle on a quick detach mount. The upper came with a set of Magpul pop-up sights, so I can quickly switch to “iron sights” if I need to.

I’m intrigued by the 300 Blackout round as I can run it with light weight supersonic rounds or heavier subsonic rounds with a suppressor. I’m heading to the woods on opening day of rifle season with some 120 grain Nosler rounds.

Everything I’ve read on those Nosler rounds suggests I won’t need more than one shot, but the State of NE limits me to a 5-shot magazine so that’s what I’ll carry.

Anyone else have any experience with the 300 Blackout?

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG
I just found out that I won a raffle last night. (I didn't attend the fundraiser but I donated $200)

Anyhoo, I won a new Ruger 10/22
Basic bitch vanilla model with classic wood stock no mods at all.

Advice on mods? Don't go too crazy this is gonna be the future gun for my 4 year old son and 1.5 year old son.

Mostly need advice on what specifically works and doesn't work with a 10/22 like scopes, optics, red dots, slings, magazines, etc etc. that don't work well with the system or are unneeded.
Ex: I probably will never try to shoot anything over 110 yards (100 meters)

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
I just found out that I won a raffle last night. (I didn't attend the fundraiser but I donated $200)

Anyhoo, I won a new Ruger 10/22
Basic bitch vanilla model with classic wood stock no mods at all.

Advice on mods? Don't go too crazy this is gonna be the future gun for my 4 year old son and 1.5 year old son.

Mostly need advice on what specifically works and doesn't work with a 10/22 like scopes, optics, red dots, slings, magazines, etc etc. that don't work well with the system or are unneeded.
Ex: I probably will never try to shoot anything over 110 yards (100 meters)
Honestly ... I wouldn't touch a thing (for now) as those Ruger 10/22's are classics for a reason. Particularly if its intended use is truly for your boys to learn how to shoot, proper gun management, safety, etc. They should know how to accurately plink with a .22 using iron sights before adding the modern accoutrements such as red dots, LPVO, sights, etc., IMO.

They're your boys - raise 'em your way, amigo. Congrats on the rifle - it's a good one.

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG
Honestly ... I wouldn't touch a thing (for now) as those Ruger 10/22's are classics for a reason. Particularly if its intended use is truly for your boys to learn how to shoot, proper gun management, safety, etc. They should know how to accurately plink with a .22 using iron sights before adding the modern accoutrements such as red dots, LPVO, sights, etc., IMO.

They're your boys - raise 'em your way, amigo. Congrats on the rifle - it's a good one.

They are lucky it's semi auto

I grew up being forced to use my Dad's old single shot bolt action .22 (Sears)

We still got that thing to teach them how to work Bolt actions but lord almighty it's so much more fun to run a semi auto when all you're doing is plinking. Used to make me so mad as a kid when I'd get off like 3 rounds and my buddies were putting 25 rounds down

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
They are lucky it's semi auto

I grew up being forced to use my Dad's old single shot bolt action .22 (Sears)

We still got that thing to teach them how to work Bolt actions but lord almighty it's so much more fun to run a semi auto when all you're doing is plinking. Used to make me so mad as a kid when I'd get off like 3 rounds and my buddies were putting 25 rounds down
I’ve got a couple of old Mossberg Chuckster single shot, bolt actions (one in .22 LR and one in .22 WMR) plus a Winchester “Crackshot-26” Single Shot .22 LR I inherited from my FIL that are a testament to the “make your shot count” rifles of yesteryear.

The semiautomatic rifles feel like cheating after you spend some plinking time with those old timey rifles. They’re all tack drivers though, and consistently put the freedom seeds where you want ‘em to go.

I’ve got them all cleaned up and in storage socks hoping to use them to teach my own grandchildren how to shoot using them. For now … I have a granddog … and she’s a terrible shot.

BugeaterInWa

Linebacker
Elite Member
Building a AR15 pistol for my wife. 11.5" barrel, I'm going to put a vortex RED dot on it. Only thing I want to add is a drop in trigger. It's at the shop now to get a kerocote (sp) in a basic camo and then engraved. Engraving will all be stuff representative of her active military service. I'm pretty excited to see how it turns out. Also bummed as I might knot have time to get my AR10 (for me) to this guy before he closes shop.

WA is loosing dealers, etc., in droves lately. Even businesses that make holsters, belts, etc., are all leaving this state.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds