Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Offensive Staff (1 Viewer)

Pepe Silvia

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
They had 30 attempts and 28 passes and mostly got stuffed from what I saw running the ball - I don’t see how that’s not trying to run

And I do think talent matters a lot when calling plays - you have dramatically fewer options available to you when you’re trotting out your 2nd /3rd string everything vs when you have Trey Palmer on the field to provide cover.
Purdy had 12 carries, so you'd also need to go back and look at how many were called passes where he scrambled. if it was half then you're looking at 24 rushes to 34 passes

I'm more pissed about the fact that we scored throwing deep and never tried again

Chi7397

Cornerback
Elite Member
Purdy had 12 carries, so you'd also need to go back and look at how many were called passes where he scrambled. if it was half then you're looking at 24 rushes to 34 passes
I thought most his Carrie’s were called but could be mistaken

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev 👻
Elite Member
The decision to take Jeff Sims as your QB and walk Casey Thompson off of campus is the one that cost you a bowl game and it should cost someone their job. That decision alone cost this team a bowl game and 15 extra practices.

This was an easy one that Rhule fucked up bad.
ehhh I was with you in this thread 100% until the casey thompson nonsense. There was absolutely zero chance that casey would hold up behind this offensive line (or any offensive line apparently) this year and wanted the starting job guaranteed to him even though he missed spring due to recovering from an injury/surgery. Choosing Sims is a different discussion, but making that promise to Casey would've been unforgivable, IMHO

Juro

Sarcastic Ass
Elite Member
Bounty Hunter
If you paid me 1.4 million year to win games by scoring points, I would do everything I could to learn how to do my job very well.

DuckSker

RedSeaFarts=Sandalwood
Elite Member
If you’re a portal QB, do you want to come play for Marcus fucking Satterfield?

Other teams can recruit against us just by pointing at Satt’s track record.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
No argument, Sims is on them - I don’t think anyone should have expected him to collapse as badly as he did, but he was definitely high risk.

I am somewhat reassured by the fact that he got benched when it became clear he couldn’t be the guy - but we’ll see if that applies elsewhere in the program

Rhule has a spot on his staff now where he can give Satterfield TEs and he can hire a Co-OC/QBs coach. This would be the best path forward.

Will he? Probably not.

What will likely happen is Satterfield gets TEs and Dimichelle is promoted to QBs.

What should happen is Glenn Thomas joins as a Co-OC and calls plays. I’d love to do better here. But it doesn’t appear we want to. It appears shooting for “middle of the pack” with the 7th highest paid OC is what Rhule wants to do. Satterfield level money should buy you a top 30 product. Top 40 minimum.

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev 👻
Elite Member
If you’re a portal QB, do you want to come play for Marcus fucking Satterfield?

Other teams can recruit against us just by pointing at Satt’s track record.
FUCK NO. Our NIL is going to have to be ridic in order to get a transfer qb worth a damn. And even then we're only going to be able to grab one that is solely focused on $$ and not one that has winning or development at the top of their list.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
ehhh I was with you in this thread 100% until the casey thompson nonsense. There was absolutely zero chance that casey would hold up behind this offensive line (or any offensive line apparently) this year and wanted the starting job guaranteed to him even though he missed spring due to recovering from an injury/surgery. Choosing Sims is a different discussion, but making that promise to Casey would've been unforgivable, IMHO

My thing is you had a kid with a year of experience starting at QB in this conference that you could project improvement from. Further, this offensive line was better than last years.

And then you had a kid who was terrible at GaTech who would stop at nothing in order to turn the ball over back then.

Both were willing to be here and you chose wrong. Casey I’m sure wanted those reassurances and I’m sure he had flashbacks to his days at Texas where he was lied to about the QB situation time and again which prompted his move.

But look at both guys’ film and sample size and tell me that you take Sims over Thompson even if you don’t count this year for either.

Blakejc

Corporate Potato
Elite Member
There’s a multitude of reasons for us to not have won 9 games.

There’s no excuse to not win 6.

Rhule has some searching to do.

You simply can’t go 0-4 in November.

You can’t go 0-5 in one score games. That’s simply not okay and never will be here.
This. He can sugar coat things and talk about the process all he wants, but he failed these guys in November. His process and his coaches failed. They allowed the same things that hurt them in game 1 to hurt them in game 12.

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev 👻
Elite Member
My thing is you had a kid with a year of experience starting at QB in this conference that you could project improvement from. Further, this offensive line was better than last years.

And then you had a kid who was terrible at GaTech who would stop at nothing in order to turn the ball over back then.

Both were willing to be here and you chose wrong. Casey I’m sure wanted those reassurances and I’m sure he had flashbacks to his days at Texas where he was lied to about the QB situation time and again which prompted his move.

But look at both guys’ film and sample size and tell me that you take Sims over Thompson even if you don’t count this year for either.
I mean, Sims being the alternative was a fuckup in hindsight...but a Mr. Glass (Casey) behind another shit OL, without spring, and without Trey Palmer is absolutely not a good choice to guarantee the job to.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
The decision to take Jeff Sims as your QB and walk Casey Thompson off of campus is the one that cost you a bowl game and it should cost someone their job. That decision alone cost this team a bowl game and 15 extra practices.

This was an easy one that Rhule fucked up bad.
Honestly Smothers could have probably won you some games too if Rhule was willing to use him right. He is better than HH and Sims.

Poor_and_Stupid

Prolific Beaver Murderer
Elite Member
You guys realize that Cockeye won 10 games and is #17 in the county and just barely won, right?

What happened to that whole “omg we played them so close it’s a win” spirit of the Frost era?

Bunch of whiney bitches honestly
Everyone knows they aren’t actually a top 25 team. They play against the bag of dildos that is the BIG West.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
I mean, Sims being the alternative was a fuckup in hindsight...but a Mr. Glass (Casey) behind another shit OL, without spring, and without Trey Palmer is absolutely not a good choice to guarantee the job to.

We’re splitting hairs and are going to go around it circles because it all does go back to the idea that Sims shouldn’t be here. Rhule can get mad all he wants at people asking him those questions. But that decision alone cost us a bowl game this year and is the reason we feel the way we do now.

Again, I like the strides we’ve made with a lot of the things here. But there needs to be some massive change on the offensive side of the ball. This team lacked the talent necessary to win a Natty or challenge for the conference championship. But it was not so untalented that it shouldn’t have won 8 games this year minimum.

For those who think that a transfer QB is too expensive I’d say that it’s much less expensive than buying out a coach and constantly being in a state of rebuild.

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev 👻
Elite Member
We’re splitting hairs and are going to go around it circles because it all does go back to the idea that Sims shouldn’t be here. Rhule can get mad all he wants at people asking him those questions. But that decision alone cost us a bowl game this year and is the reason we feel the way we do now.

Again, I like the strides we’ve made with a lot of the things here. But there needs to be some massive change on the offensive side of the ball. This team lacked the talent necessary to win a Natty or challenge for the conference championship. But it was not so untalented that it shouldn’t have won 8 games this year minimum.

For those who think that a transfer QB is too expensive I’d say that it’s much less expensive than buying out a coach and constantly being in a state of rebuild.
Agree on all of that.

Hardknocks1

Linebacker
Elite Member
What we really need is some magic from Turd ala Osborne with Carl and get some lowly D1 to make Marcus their head guy and get him off Rhules hands by telling him he has to go or take $700,000 pay cut with half going to TW and the other half to a play caller

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
Honestly Smothers could have probably won you some games too if Rhule was willing to use him right. He is better than HH and Sims.

If Thompson, Smothers, the kid from San Antonio, HH, and Purdy were all on campus Sims would have been the worst QB of all of them. And that’s the guy Satterfield chose.

Makes me nervous and wonder if he should be entrusting him with the QB evals moving forward.

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev 👻
Elite Member
If Thompson, Smothers, the kid from San Antonio, HH, and Purdy were all on campus Sims would have been the worst QB of all of them. And that’s the guy Satterfield chose.

Makes me nervous and wonder if he should be entrusting him with the QB evals moving forward.
Satt doesn't strike me as much of an Alpha. Guessin' ol' Matty Rhule made that choice.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds