Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

@mike513 - $155 million thread on RSS (3 Viewers)

BIGSTICK67

Board Chairman - TPB, LLC
Elite Member
tPB OG
Mike's statement at the end of the 2019 season. He says there's another one coming when the 2020 season is completed.

Dec 2, 2019
It’s easy to say, “we’re just okay”. It’s not easy to stomach.

I rarely post any more, somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-15/year. My last post of substance was post Colorado (9/10) and I’ve pasted below for reference:

Devils advocate here. How many road games has coach Frost won at NU? How many P5 teams has he beaten period (at NU)?

I’m not advocating for a change in staff or kicking anyone while they’re down however, I believe our fan base, who has proven to be as resilient as any in the country over 15+ years, deserves to see some tangible evidence. I’d argue that stating, “ turning those into Ws” has always been the plan, no? And, “we got nothing but time”? Perhaps that is a troll cause you can’t be serious.

There are warning lights going off, much like we’ve seen in the past. We ignored them then, should we do the same now? Is it blind faith to follow Frost? Is he above reproach?

I’d say it’s healthy to be a little concerned right now. It is absolutely NOT time to be calling for anyone’s head but there has be self-reflection. Full autonomy of something of this magnitude can be a tough thing to manage.

I'm fortunate to have some insight into the program and with that, I’d share the following with everyone. Things are probably not as great as they media portrays them to be (and it’s generally not their fault as the access is limited) but they’re not bad either; and certainly nowhere near as bad as some of the hot takes would make you believe. Right now, we’re an “okay” program. We can be better than that (and it can happen this year) but we have to ensure we’re aligned in every facet.

Let the season play out and form your opinion then. Keep the faith, just don’t make it blind.

Looking back, my statement in September saying the program is “okay” seems somewhat clairvoyant as Frost reiterated it just over a month later: "I told the team right now that's where we are. We're just OK. We're just OK right now, because a lot of the things that are done are just OK".

In hindsight, it’s easy to see why we’re a mess. This thing has been mismanaged from its inception. Not on purpose, as those at the helm undoubtedly expected us to be better than we are, but mismanaged, nonetheless.

Throughout the season I’ve been asked, and often wonder myself, how could we be so misaligned from what we thought we’d be. How are we everything Frost told us we wouldn’t be? How nearsighted is our AD to allow the pomp and circumstance that followed the hiring of Coach Frost? I’m not talking about the initial “win” of landing Scott; we all thought that was a huge coup and after all we’d been through, we were entitled to celebrate. I’m focused on what has transpired since the first month of the honeymoon. Scott is young, charming, ambitious and… arrogant and stubborn. Unfortunately, the latter of the traits have taken center stage.

It shouldn't surprise anyone if I said that with a little guidance and some simple checks & balances, that most, if not the entire scenario we’re now in, could have been avoided? Let me explain.

Has there ever been a coach that, on day one, walked into North Stadium with as much control as Scott possessed? No. As I mentioned in my post above, full autonomy of something this big, with this many moving parts, can be tough to manage. It can also its constituents in dire straights. Nevertheless, Frosty came here with a score to settle. He wanted Nebraska to be “right” again. Longing for the days of old, he let everyone know what a poor job Mike Riley had done – that we weren’t performing squats properly, that the locker room was dirty, that nutrition had gone by the wayside, that the Husker Power machines were stuffed in closets and shit was going to change. This was all very rah rah and precisely what the fans wanted to hear. I mean, after all, we have been waiting a long time for any semblance of relevance. But stop and think. What if, just maybe, Coach would have set realistic expectations and given us a clear lens into the realities of the program. The good the bad and the ugly. Perhaps it wouldn’t have been what we wanted to hear but it would have insulated himself against what is happening now. He could have managed our rabid anticipations and bought himself at the very least these two years and probably three or four to fly under the radar; ensuring his players were in place, his support staff was ironed out, his internal expectations were being met. But he did the polar opposite. He walked onto that stage and let everyone know he was in charge and things were going to change, in short order. That the BIG was going to have to adapt to our methods. And. Here. We. Are.

December 2019. We still have a dirty locker room with holes being punched in the walls as recently as a month ago. [ side note, someone should ask the coach what happened to the glass in the lounge post Indiana…]. We still have players not following the nutrition plan. We still have a mismanaged roster – how in the world can we be in the position we are with the redshirts not getting their time? We still have issues with marijuana. We still have kids late to meetings. On and on and on. And you know what, these issues are not unique to Nebraska. What is unique is the axe-grinding that was allowed when coach arrived only to have the rules selectively enforced behind the scenes.

We have scheme issues, we have personnel issues and guess what… we have coaching issues. Everyone knows we have built-in geographic deficiencies. In order to work on the Nebraska football staff, it should be MANDATORY that you check one of two boxes: 1) Elite developer of talent 2) Elite recruiter. If you can’t provide tangible evidence of one, if not both, you should not be employed as an AC at the University of Nebraska. As men, I like most of the guys we’ve got but we have an open checkbook to hire the best staff in America and we’re going to do that, right? Wrong. We reinvented the wheel by bringing an entire G5 staff to right the ship. And worse yet, Scott has been quick to point the finger not the thumb. Could you ever imagine a scenario in a TO tutelage world where the coach calls out the players? It’s a simple rule of business – praise in public, punish in private. And you wonder if there is a fracture in the locker room? I’ll tell you want doesn’t help mend that divide – playing a Q that has underperformed time and time again when you have a young and very talented Q watching from the sidelines. One that has the unanimous support of the team. One that has proven, in every opportunity that he’s gotten, that he can provide a spark. I assure you I get continuity and trust and all that comes with it but when it’s not working, and you preach “next man up”, work hard all week to get guys equal reps but refuse to make change, you’re not building continuity.

I suspect that by now you get my point. Coach Frost, to date, is not what I anticipated. His pedigree would suggest that he’s savvy yet responsible. That he was 100% positive that he could turn this thing around quickly and if there was any shadow of doubt that he couldn’t, he would have had the foresight to temper expectations thereby providing himself the opportunity to organically build trust within the fanbase and the program all the while laying the foundation for the future. If he’d have done this, we may very well have been where we are today in terms of wins/losses but the support for would have been overwhelmingly positive.

We know Scott’s heart is in the right place, there is no debating that. But that, in and of itself, doesn’t win football game and the numbers prove it:

Nebraska under Frosty:
9-15 overall
6-13 against B10
0-4 against Cockeye & Wisconsin
4-8 in the B10 West
8-16 against P5

Given that context, it’s safe to say our core has been shaken. In the modern age of football, you absolutely must surround yourself with the best in the business. You have to be humble and willing to adapt. Recently, we’ve seen a multitude of teams make changes after under-performing: Texas, USF, FSU, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Boston College, South Carolina, Mizzou, etc. Will we see any shake-up at NU? For a team that is 66th in total offense, 58 in defense and 118th in special teams, coming off two losing seasons and no bowl games… I’d argue we’re shooting ourselves in the foot by keeping the band together.

For the, “we don’t have the talent” guys, I’d say this. By all accounts, recruiting is mediocre and with just over two weeks to go, we have no blue chips on the hook. I hope that we end with a flurry of excitement, but it would be foolish to get our hopes up.

Things aren’t getting easier in 2020 or 21’:

Purdue: 4-8
CMU: 8-4
SDSU: 8-4
Cincinnati: 10-2
Northwestern: 3-9
Illinois: 6-6
Rutgers: 2-10
Ohio State: 12-0
Penn State: 10-2
Cockeye: 9-3
Wisconsin: 10-2
Minnesota: 10-2

Make no mistake about it, we yet again find ourselves at a crossroad. Let us all hope that there is a monumental amount of self-reflection over the next nine months; that egos and arrogance are pushed aside and that the team finally gels. If not, we should get used to used to hearing, “we’re just okay”.

• Love
Reactions:You, joshuahuskers, ncaalover12 and 362 others

Ext. 55

Big Poppa
Elite Member
tPB OG
We really do make some dumb mistakes over and over and over again.

The fact that we cannot get thru a 1st Qtr w/o an OL Motion penalty is all you need to know.

I still contend that SF hasnt had much of a chance yet, as follows:

Year 1 - The cancellation of Game 1 cost us at least 2 or even 3 wins. They crush Akron, then beat CU in week 2, and 2AM doesn't get hurt. Then they don't lose to the G5 school next etc
Year 2 - This was the BAD year and I fault them all. That mess should have been fixed by 2020...and it's not.
Year 3 - No spring really hurt this team, as I think SF et al really wanted to play the kids and lost 4 weeks and a fake game. No real fall hurt too as did the break up of the season by Karen Warren.

I think OUR problems started in that thunderstorm and have been under a black cloud ever since.
Not unlike the FIRST Play from scrimmage on SAT. A SNOWBALL....

Excuses? Maybe they are. But that's my $.02

Not sure what else in the FOOTBALL Bldg or A Dept is, thought that was cleaned out when Eichorst and Riley et al were gone....curiuos to see WHAT/WHO the problem STILL is????
Yer not wrong.

BIGSTICK67

Board Chairman - TPB, LLC
Elite Member
tPB OG
Can someone post what big Mike said please?

See above what he said in December 2019. Today he said, "bottom line, we're in trouble. Big trouble." He then said he wouldn't comment further until the 2020 season is finished.

So if we take what he said 11 months ago, I suspect he thinks much is the same, and the shit is just piled deeper than 2019.

BIG TONE SOPRANO

Really Big Truck
Elite Member
See above what he said in December 2019. Today he said, "bottom line, we're in trouble. Big trouble." He then said he wouldn't comment further until the 2020 season is finished.

So if we take what he said 11 months ago, I suspect he thinks much is the same, and the shit is just piled deeper than 2019.

ok thanks homie.

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
We really do make some dumb mistakes over and over and over again.

The fact that we cannot get thru a 1st Qtr w/o an OL Motion penalty is all you need to know.

I still contend that SF hasnt had much of a chance yet, as follows:

Year 1 - The cancellation of Game 1 cost us at least 2 or even 3 wins. They crush Akron, then beat CU in week 2, and 2AM doesn't get hurt. Then they don't lose to the G5 school next etc
Year 2 - This was the BAD year and I fault them all. That mess should have been fixed by 2020...and it's not.
Year 3 - No spring really hurt this team, as I think SF et al really wanted to play the kids and lost 4 weeks and a fake game. No real fall hurt too as did the break up of the season by Karen Warren.

I think OUR problems started in that thunderstorm and have been under a black cloud ever since.
Not unlike the FIRST Play from scrimmage on SAT. A SNOWBALL....

Excuses? Maybe they are. But that's my $.02

Not sure what else in the FOOTBALL Bldg or A Dept is, thought that was cleaned out when Eichorst and Riley et al were gone....curiuos to see WHAT/WHO the problem STILL is????
Maybe the cancellation of game 1 was really that bad of a momentum killer.

Still, everyone’s off-season suffered equally under COVID.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Mike's statement at the end of the 2019 season. He says there's another one coming when the 2020 season is completed.

Dec 2, 2019
It’s easy to say, “we’re just okay”. It’s not easy to stomach.

I rarely post any more, somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-15/year. My last post of substance was post Colorado (9/10) and I’ve pasted below for reference:

Devils advocate here. How many road games has coach Frost won at NU? How many P5 teams has he beaten period (at NU)?

I’m not advocating for a change in staff or kicking anyone while they’re down however, I believe our fan base, who has proven to be as resilient as any in the country over 15+ years, deserves to see some tangible evidence. I’d argue that stating, “ turning those into Ws” has always been the plan, no? And, “we got nothing but time”? Perhaps that is a troll cause you can’t be serious.

There are warning lights going off, much like we’ve seen in the past. We ignored them then, should we do the same now? Is it blind faith to follow Frost? Is he above reproach?

I’d say it’s healthy to be a little concerned right now. It is absolutely NOT time to be calling for anyone’s head but there has be self-reflection. Full autonomy of something of this magnitude can be a tough thing to manage.

I'm fortunate to have some insight into the program and with that, I’d share the following with everyone. Things are probably not as great as they media portrays them to be (and it’s generally not their fault as the access is limited) but they’re not bad either; and certainly nowhere near as bad as some of the hot takes would make you believe. Right now, we’re an “okay” program. We can be better than that (and it can happen this year) but we have to ensure we’re aligned in every facet.

Let the season play out and form your opinion then. Keep the faith, just don’t make it blind.

Looking back, my statement in September saying the program is “okay” seems somewhat clairvoyant as Frost reiterated it just over a month later: "I told the team right now that's where we are. We're just OK. We're just OK right now, because a lot of the things that are done are just OK".

In hindsight, it’s easy to see why we’re a mess. This thing has been mismanaged from its inception. Not on purpose, as those at the helm undoubtedly expected us to be better than we are, but mismanaged, nonetheless.

Throughout the season I’ve been asked, and often wonder myself, how could we be so misaligned from what we thought we’d be. How are we everything Frost told us we wouldn’t be? How nearsighted is our AD to allow the pomp and circumstance that followed the hiring of Coach Frost? I’m not talking about the initial “win” of landing Scott; we all thought that was a huge coup and after all we’d been through, we were entitled to celebrate. I’m focused on what has transpired since the first month of the honeymoon. Scott is young, charming, ambitious and… arrogant and stubborn. Unfortunately, the latter of the traits have taken center stage.

It shouldn't surprise anyone if I said that with a little guidance and some simple checks & balances, that most, if not the entire scenario we’re now in, could have been avoided? Let me explain.

Has there ever been a coach that, on day one, walked into North Stadium with as much control as Scott possessed? No. As I mentioned in my post above, full autonomy of something this big, with this many moving parts, can be tough to manage. It can also its constituents in dire straights. Nevertheless, Frosty came here with a score to settle. He wanted Nebraska to be “right” again. Longing for the days of old, he let everyone know what a poor job Mike Riley had done – that we weren’t performing squats properly, that the locker room was dirty, that nutrition had gone by the wayside, that the Husker Power machines were stuffed in closets and shit was going to change. This was all very rah rah and precisely what the fans wanted to hear. I mean, after all, we have been waiting a long time for any semblance of relevance. But stop and think. What if, just maybe, Coach would have set realistic expectations and given us a clear lens into the realities of the program. The good the bad and the ugly. Perhaps it wouldn’t have been what we wanted to hear but it would have insulated himself against what is happening now. He could have managed our rabid anticipations and bought himself at the very least these two years and probably three or four to fly under the radar; ensuring his players were in place, his support staff was ironed out, his internal expectations were being met. But he did the polar opposite. He walked onto that stage and let everyone know he was in charge and things were going to change, in short order. That the BIG was going to have to adapt to our methods. And. Here. We. Are.

December 2019. We still have a dirty locker room with holes being punched in the walls as recently as a month ago. [ side note, someone should ask the coach what happened to the glass in the lounge post Indiana…]. We still have players not following the nutrition plan. We still have a mismanaged roster – how in the world can we be in the position we are with the redshirts not getting their time? We still have issues with marijuana. We still have kids late to meetings. On and on and on. And you know what, these issues are not unique to Nebraska. What is unique is the axe-grinding that was allowed when coach arrived only to have the rules selectively enforced behind the scenes.

We have scheme issues, we have personnel issues and guess what… we have coaching issues. Everyone knows we have built-in geographic deficiencies. In order to work on the Nebraska football staff, it should be MANDATORY that you check one of two boxes: 1) Elite developer of talent 2) Elite recruiter. If you can’t provide tangible evidence of one, if not both, you should not be employed as an AC at the University of Nebraska. As men, I like most of the guys we’ve got but we have an open checkbook to hire the best staff in America and we’re going to do that, right? Wrong. We reinvented the wheel by bringing an entire G5 staff to right the ship. And worse yet, Scott has been quick to point the finger not the thumb. Could you ever imagine a scenario in a TO tutelage world where the coach calls out the players? It’s a simple rule of business – praise in public, punish in private. And you wonder if there is a fracture in the locker room? I’ll tell you want doesn’t help mend that divide – playing a Q that has underperformed time and time again when you have a young and very talented Q watching from the sidelines. One that has the unanimous support of the team. One that has proven, in every opportunity that he’s gotten, that he can provide a spark. I assure you I get continuity and trust and all that comes with it but when it’s not working, and you preach “next man up”, work hard all week to get guys equal reps but refuse to make change, you’re not building continuity.

I suspect that by now you get my point. Coach Frost, to date, is not what I anticipated. His pedigree would suggest that he’s savvy yet responsible. That he was 100% positive that he could turn this thing around quickly and if there was any shadow of doubt that he couldn’t, he would have had the foresight to temper expectations thereby providing himself the opportunity to organically build trust within the fanbase and the program all the while laying the foundation for the future. If he’d have done this, we may very well have been where we are today in terms of wins/losses but the support for would have been overwhelmingly positive.

We know Scott’s heart is in the right place, there is no debating that. But that, in and of itself, doesn’t win football game and the numbers prove it:

Nebraska under Frosty:
9-15 overall
6-13 against B10
0-4 against Cockeyes & Wisconsin
4-8 in the B10 West
8-16 against P5

Given that context, it’s safe to say our core has been shaken. In the modern age of football, you absolutely must surround yourself with the best in the business. You have to be humble and willing to adapt. Recently, we’ve seen a multitude of teams make changes after under-performing: Texas, USF, FSU, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Boston College, South Carolina, Mizzou, etc. Will we see any shake-up at NU? For a team that is 66th in total offense, 58 in defense and 118th in special teams, coming off two losing seasons and no bowl games… I’d argue we’re shooting ourselves in the foot by keeping the band together.

For the, “we don’t have the talent” guys, I’d say this. By all accounts, recruiting is mediocre and with just over two weeks to go, we have no blue chips on the hook. I hope that we end with a flurry of excitement, but it would be foolish to get our hopes up.

Things aren’t getting easier in 2020 or 21’:

Purdue: 4-8
CMU: 8-4
SDSU: 8-4
Cincinnati: 10-2
Northwestern: 3-9
Illinois: 6-6
Rutgers: 2-10
Ohio State: 12-0
Penn State: 10-2
Cockeyes: 9-3
Wisconsin: 10-2
Minnesota: 10-2

Make no mistake about it, we yet again find ourselves at a crossroad. Let us all hope that there is a monumental amount of self-reflection over the next nine months; that egos and arrogance are pushed aside and that the team finally gels. If not, we should get used to used to hearing, “we’re just okay”.

Reactions:You, joshuahuskers, ncaalover12 and 362 others
His entire premise here is that if Frost came in more humble and set the expectations lower we'd be better off right now somehow?

dsbigred1

Quarterback
tPB OG
His entire premise here is that if Frost came in more humble and set the expectations lower we'd be better off right now somehow?
I think he was mostly saying that the disappointment from the fans is a direct result of Frost’s comments and attitude, and that he hadn’t at that point fixed many of the issues he ragged on Mike Riley about.
so to answer, yes, that is part of the problem, but is also more than just that. So there had actually not really been that huge culture shift.
That’s been my issue with Frost and staff since the beginning of year 2. Penalties and turnovers may actually be worse than the Riley years. We all could see plainly those were issues under Riley with Yolo Armstrong and Colorblind Lee, and never imagined it could get worse with Frost... but here we are

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
I think he was mostly saying that the disappointment from the fans is a direct result of Frost’s comments and attitude, and that he hadn’t at that point fixed many of the issues he ragged on Mike Riley about.
so to answer, yes, that is part of the problem, but is also more than just that. So there had actually not really been that huge culture shift.
That’s been my issue with Frost and staff since the beginning of year 2. Penalties and turnovers may actually be worse than the Riley years. We all could see plainly those were issues under Riley with Yolo Armstrong and Colorblind Lee, and never imagined it could get worse with Frost... but here we are
"disappointment from the fans is a direct result of Frost’s comments and attitude" - that part is what I was referring to and that's straight up bullshit. Fans were flaming pissed in year 2 of Riley and he couldn't be more humble. Fans would be pissed no matter what at this point.

As for the turnovers and penalties being a result of bad culture maybe partially. Turnovers and penalties are a combination of not executing and playing tight. He preaches no fear of failure and that may have been true in the beginning but I don't think it is anymore. Season 2 took care of any "lets relax and have fun out there" kind of playing.

Can't really blame him for the 2nd part. Put yourself in his shoes. Get into your dream job position knowing that you're good enough to succeed. Then have your product end up 80% shit. No matter what you do it doesn't go right. Some within your control some without. So now every week is panic mode.

You have a week like Penn St where everything goes right in the first half and your butthole is tight enough to make diamonds out of coal the 2nd half.

He signed up for the pressure of this job so I don't feel sorry for him. Big picture he's getting paid plenty and its football. To get back to no fear of failure he has to start winning. To win he has to get back to no fear of failure.

Strongarm517

Defensive Lineman
All I know is I would hate to be frost.
he came in with the best of intentions and it seems like every break has been bad.

Did he make mistakes, of course? To me, what Mike said last year about his stubbornness with quarterback seemed to be the biggest problem. but now, we see the back up wasn’t as good as we hoped although maybe has a higher ceiling.
How do you dig yourself out of this? Is it possible Or is it too late?

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds