Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Rhule’s “QB costs 2 million comment” (3 Viewers)

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Yeah I remember back in the '10s most people scoffed at that Northwestern dude (a QB I think?) who was advocating for players to become university employees or something...? But now it seems like that would've been a way better outcome.

Whether that would've been the right final choice or not, it's just absurd that the powers-that-be never tried ANYTHING before throwing their hands up and saying "fuck it we're just gonna have a free for all!"
A lot more expensive to make them employees. The work comp insurance would be astronomical.

I agree though that it would balance teams out more.

betsch

Safety
The intent was correct...if there was a very popular player and people were wearing their jersey number etc. the player should be able to get some kind of profit from their reputation....what we got was a wild west situation where everyone is a free agent. You can "recruit and develop" all you want but the 2-3 years of time and resources you pour into a kid means fuck all because another school (and their associated NIL setup) can poach them with a check...and can you blame the player? That's life changing money for playing a sport that could end your playing career in a single moment. I have no idea how it gets fixed but we aren't done with the whirlwind of changes yet. How do you fix it without making the players employees essentially and then how does Title IX play out?

Might need to pump the brakes on the stadium makeover lol
Yeah, I'll sit in a shitty stadium next to fatties if it means us winning a natty.

lee_carvallo_12

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
The intent was correct...if there was a very popular player and people were wearing their jersey number etc. the player should be able to get some kind of profit from their reputation....what we got was a wild west situation where everyone is a free agent. You can "recruit and develop" all you want but the 2-3 years of time and resources you pour into a kid means fuck all because another school (and their associated NIL setup) can poach them with a check...and can you blame the player? That's life changing money for playing a sport that could end your playing career in a single moment. I have no idea how it gets fixed but we aren't done with the whirlwind of changes yet. How do you fix it without making the players employees essentially and then how does Title IX play out?

Agree that NIL makes total sense conceptually, but what it is currently is unrestricted free agency across CFB for all players without a salary cap or any kind of guardrails is absolutely asinine.

dom91932

Cornerback
Elite Member

Speaking of Title IX:

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds