Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

McKewon: 2023 NU FB has one of weakest rosters I've seen at Nebraska (1 Viewer)

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
1) the NCAA has been a lot more strict with waivers
2) because him getting denied would be exactly what we should expect after the last 20 years
agree they have been more strict; that's because the rules changed and the new results reflect the new rules. But the new rules have this specific excerption

1689111425072.png

Ext. 55

Big Poppa
Elite Member
tPB OG
His comments are actually genius for someone in his position. Setting aside all the buzz and talk he has created just in this thread…

1. If he’s right, he’s a genius and can point back to saying as much before the season started and give Rhule an out.

2. If he’s wrong, he can point to how well this staff overcame such massive adversity and give massive kudos to Rhules coaching and development.

I see this as him setting himself up for some great stories this season.

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
last year in 432 snaps (188 pass attempts) he had two fumbles, only one lost, and 3 INTs. His turnovers were early in his career

Freshmen year 13 INTs, 5 fumbles lost on 10 fumbles
Soph year 7 INTs. 2 fumbles lost on 5 fumbles
Junior year 3 INTs, 1 fumble lost on 2 fumbles
That’s still 17 fumbles in 25 games played with nearly half of them being lost. It’s good to see it improved but I’m not completely convinced it’s not a concern.

Now, I will say that I might be looking at it through the Frost lens (rushing the QB 15 times a game) which we’re all assuming won’t be the case under Rhule.

jaihawk

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
That’s still 17 fumbles in 25 games played with nearly half of them being lost. It’s good to see it improved but I’m not completely convinced it’s not a concern.

Now, I will say that I might be looking at it through the Frost lens (rushing the QB 15 times a game) which we’re all assuming won’t be the case under Rhule.

When it comes to turnovers (fumbling or interceptions), I don't think you can downplay two things:

1. Coach's emphasis on taking care of the ball. I don't know how much it was preached and practiced at Georgia Tech. I know that at Nebraska under Rhule it is preached and practiced non-stop.

2. Turnovers that happen because the player feels like he has to make all of the plays, otherwise his team has no chance at winning. A lot of times, you see that play out with fumbles, where a QB feels like he has to try to break every tackle to bust the play for a TD, rather than take the first down and go down. I think you may see a lot less "gambling" out of Simms at Nebraska with the weapons he has.

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
so you expect him to play like a freshman this year?

He averaged 14 carries a game last season up until the game he got hurt

I have to say, I am not concerned. His OL was just as bad as ours last year - ranked in the bottom 5 or so in P5 in blocking . Casey averaged twice as many interceptions per attempt last year as Sims and had 3 fumbles in 30 less carries.

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
When it comes to turnovers (fumbling or interceptions), I don't think you can downplay two things:

1. Coach's emphasis on taking care of the ball. I don't know how much it was preached and practiced at Georgia Tech. I know that at Nebraska under Rhule it is preached and practiced non-stop.

2. Turnovers that happen because the player feels like he has to make all of the plays, otherwise his team has no chance at winning. A lot of times, you see that play out with fumbles, where a QB feels like he has to try to break every tackle to bust the play for a TD, rather than take the first down and go down. I think you may see a lot less "gambling" out of Simms at Nebraska with the weapons he has.
the bigger thing to me is why are we weighting his turnover performances as a freshman and as a junior the same when looking at this? Normally we expect improvement over the years, which is what happened.

HuskerBear

Safety
This roster is so fragile.

Sims gets hurt = season over

Teddy/Nouili/Scott hurt = season over

D-Line at all hurt = season over

Red Finger

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
Holy smokes i just read through this thread. Felt like i read through to many hawt takes. 3 thoughts.

1. If anyone is saying they KNOW what the team is now or are standing firm on a record prediction today they’re full of 💩. Nobody knows anything right now. Way to much unknown. New schemes that nobody has seen, tons of new players. It’d be easy to assume you have a known commodity in players like Benhart, Ty Robinson, or Q Newsome….but again it’s a new scheme. You can’t know.

2. What’s the deal with people evaluating Gabe Irvin? Lol. Wasn’t Anthony Grant suppose to be all world at one point for the media/message boards? It’s just another thing you gotta see.

3. For years I’ve thought NU football needs to hire Sam. He clearly knows everything there is to know about football. Just ask him.

Pepe Silvia

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Holy smokes i just read through this thread. Felt like i read through to many hawt takes. 3 thoughts.

1. If anyone is saying they KNOW what the team is now or are standing firm on a record prediction today they’re full of 💩. Nobody knows anything right now. Way to much unknown.

2. What’s the deal with people evaluating Gabe Irvin? Lol. Wasn’t Anthony Grant suppose to be all world at one point for the media/message boards? It’s just another thing you gotta see.

3. For years I’ve thought NU football needs to hire Sam. He clearly knows everything there is to know about football. Just ask him.
it's always darkest before dawn, or something. this time of the offseason is always peak negativity

then August comes and we get some shirtless pics and the hype train starts again

KidsSeeGhosts

Quarterback
Elite Member
I wonder if you put someone like Sam's feet to the fire and forced them to carry through the conclusion that means Scott left a roster bare with holes in multiple roster spots (not saying I agree with that, but that seems to be the implication) if they'd really do that.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
I wonder if you put someone like Sam's feet to the fire and forced them to carry through the conclusion that means Scott left a roster bare with holes in multiple roster spots (not saying I agree with that, but that seems to be the implication) if they'd really do that.
You sure as shit can't blame the roster on the new guy at this point

Pepe Silvia

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
7s9rm0.jpg

ShortSideOption

Linebacker
Insider
Yep this is actually the correct take. 2 injuries - I think if Sims and Scott both go down in game 1 (w season enders), you could be looking at 3-9.

If I had to bet on Sims missing at least 2 starts due to injury unfortunately I would take that bet.
I unfortunately agree with these statements, and they would be massive blows. We can afford a TE, WR, even an OT going down we could scheme around. A series or two (even a game) with Jenkins at center or Haarberg/Purdy we can scheme up. But more than that spells disaster.

Our defense is going to be reliant on White taking people by surprise and scheming people up anyway, so I can deal with our lack of depth there. But hell we have Butler with 50 snaps last year as our savior at edge and a walk-on getting promoted to scholly at ILB.

We’ve got some talent gaps. But I think this year will show coaching trumps a lot of deficiencies. I’m not saying we can beat Michigan with them, but we can make what happens in the Illinois, Wisconsin, and Cockeye game important to who wins the west.

Last edited:

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds