Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Latest expansion rumor…

Oregon could get screwed here.
aroused arousal intensifies GIF

They won't get offered unless Fox pays more or allows Cal and Stanford to join

Oregon and Washington’s exit from the Pac-12 to the Big Ten appears to have lost momentum overnight, sources briefed on the discussions tell The Athletic. This is a turning of the tides after the Big Ten presidents authorized commissioner Tony Petitti to pursue expansion on Thursday.

Additionally, the Pac-12 has a meeting scheduled for Friday morning, and there is renewed optimism around it.

This story will be updated. Follow our real-time realignment coverage here.

Seems like the guy you posted screenshots of earlier knew exactly what he was talking about…

the reason there is no additional revenue for Oregon and Washington is that the media contracts are done now. There would not be a payout increase until the next contract is negotiated., The current deal runs through the 2029 season. So he is saying the Presidents' view is "why should we give a gift to the media companies that cuts our per school share until 2030?"

The Presidents were willing to do that if Cal and Stanford came in as werll because that adds economic benefit to the academic side. Media prfefers just UW an UO because that creates a net larger windfall for them.

The Commissioner, of course, reports to the Presidents.
I don't think this is entirely true. Several sources reported after the media deal that the contract includes provisions and caveats for expansion. I imagine that mean the pie increases based on a pre-determined formula or method if new schools are added, or perhaps expansion requires renegotiation. It would be malpractice for the B1G's attorneys to not include such a provision knowing expansion was a very real option. I think the reason UO and UW aren't considered value adds is because at an average rate of on-field performance, they do not bring viewership much higher than the average B1G school. Sure they brought solid viewership last year when both teams were really good, but the B1G and the media companies are going to try to evaluate value teams apart from just performance because as we all know, all it takes is one bad coach to shipwreck a high performing program. So the question might be, if UO and UW are 6-7 win teams in the B1G, would they still increase the value of the average B1G broadcast. Sounds like that answer might be "no." Admittedly, this is my speculation, but I think that is what most are doing right now.

Not believing anything until we get confirmation from @SirYacht
Alright I need to defend Sir Yacht's honor here.

- Dude says "I know it doesn't look like it right now but the Big Ten will play football this season."
- Everyone laughs at him (including Kevin Warren himself who doubled and tripled down)
- Big Ten plays football as he said
- Everyone still laughs at him
Such is life I guess

What a shit position to be in if you're Oregon and Washington. You have to act like the "offer needs to be right" but in reality you're sitting there begging for an invitation and you have zero leverage.

amused jaw drop GIF
It sucks to realize that your only option is taking a last call girl home from the bar, but you either accept it and get laid or go home and cry

I don't think this is entirely true. Several sources reported after the media deal that the contract includes provisions and caveats for expansion. I imagine that mean the pie increases based on a pre-determined formula or method if new schools are added, or perhaps expansion requires renegotiation. It would be malpractice for the B1G's attorneys to not include such a provision knowing expansion was a very real option. I think the reason UO and UW aren't considered value adds is because at an average rate of on-field performance, they do not bring viewership much higher than the average B1G school. Sure they brought solid viewership last year when both teams were really good, but the B1G and the media companies are going to try to evaluate value teams apart from just performance because as we all know, all it takes is one bad coach to shipwreck a high performing program. So the question might be, if UO and UW are 6-7 win teams in the B1G, would they still increase the value of the average B1G broadcast. Sounds like that answer might be "no." Admittedly, this is my speculation, but I think that is what most are doing right now.
you might be right, but if there is one, UO and UW won't move the needle. Back when the B1G took the two LA schools the PNW schools wanted in and it went nowhere - because it would have diluted the B1G member media shares. Nothing significant has changed. If there is such a clause my guess is ND is the only one that moves the needle and adds to revenue in a way the increases membership shares.

you might be right, but if there is one, UO and UW won't move the needle. Back when the B1G took the two LA schools the PNW schools wanted in and it went nowhere - because it would have diluted the B1G member media shares. Nothing significant has changed. If there is such a clause my guess is ND is the only one that moves the needle and adds to revenue in a way the increases membership shares.

Agreed. You think there is any truth to the smoke though that B1G would be interested in FSU and Clemson if they can figure out the ACC GOR situation?

The timeline sure seems like the B1G wasn’t willing to negotiate. Everything was positive. B1G told them what they could offer. Then the report about Wash/OR wanting more money. Literally the last reporting before “momentum had turned against expansion.“

it’s going to be amazing if all of these schools end up signing a GOR today for a tv deal that every bit of reporting said they were in chaos over earlier this week.

The timeline sure seems like the B1G wasn’t willing to negotiate. Everything was positive. B1G told them what they could offer. Then the report about Wash/OR wanting more money. Literally the last reporting before “momentum had turned against expansion.“

it’s going to be amazing if all of these schools end up signing a GOR today for a tv deal that every bit of reporting said they were in chaos over earlier this week.
Hilarious for the Pac-12 to think they can settle the waters by touting this Apple deal.

Prediction: The Apple deal and related GOR will terminate at the close of the 2029-30 season

This would allow the B1G to add teams to their new deal (current deal ends 2029-30) and negotiate an increase for adding them. UO and UW will gamble that they will be accretive to that new deal.

LOL - FSU would rather have the Saudi Sovereign Investment Fund own its football program than the ACC/ESPN.

Arizona’s fan base is going to tar and feather the ASU president.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back