Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Latest expansion rumor…

Kinda feel bad for fans out there like this. We just have to thank our lucky stats we’re not one of them.
Bonus: you get to read the phrase “visionary leadership of Bill Moos.”

It's not like LA is close to Seattle or Eugene, OR. Driving from Seattle to LA is 17 hr 50 min (1,136.7 mi) according to Google Maps. I remember reading that it's a couple hours quicker to drive to Denver from LA than it is to Seattle.
Well, ok. But Denver isn’t in the Big Ten, so I’m not sure what that has to do with anything. From Denver they’d have to drive another 7 hours to get to the closest Big Ten school. However far Washington is to LA, it’s still much closer than any B1G school, and in the same time zone.

Well, ok. But Denver isn’t in the Big Ten, so I’m not sure what that has to do with anything. From Denver they’d have to drive another 7 hours to get to the closest Big Ten school. However far Washington is to LA, it’s still much closer than any B1G school, and in the same time zone.
OK, if you consider over a thousand miles "close" to anything. It's like saying we are closer to Penn St than Rutgers. Generally fans or players families aren't driving it when you are talking 17 plus hours in a car. There isn't much difference between a 3 hr minute flight and a 3 hour 15 minute flight.

Yeah, they’re not in any position to negotiate. The B1G is doing them a favor.
But obviously they will negotiate even if it won't get them anywhere. That's what you have to do. They're not going to say "Thanks for helping us out, B1G".

If you sound happy the other side starts thinking they left something on the table.

This guy klnows some people who are close to the situation. He has been posting a lot the last few days. I can'y guarantee what he is saying is right, but much of wwhat he has said in the past so far has ended up being the news 48 hours later

1691148365030.png

1691148414195.png

the reason there is no additional revenue for Oregon and Washington is that the media contracts are done now. There would not be a payout increase until the next contract is negotiated., The current deal runs through the 2029 season. So he is saying the Presidents' view is "why should we give a gift to the media companies that cuts our per school share until 2030?"

The Presidents were willing to do that if Cal and Stanford came in as werll because that adds economic benefit to the academic side. Media prfefers just UW an UO because that creates a net larger windfall for them.

The Commissioner, of course, reports to the Presidents.

Washington also wants more than what the B1G offered because incremental travel costs are so high.

The Big 12 sounds like it is dead for sure. It would seem likely that the parties all reach some agreement. Maybe it is the one the Presidents favor - UW, UO, Cal & Stanford - or maybe it is one in which the Fox/NBC agree to pay an incremental amount to cover UW and UO and exclude Cal and Stanford. I doubt the media companies will agree, as this means adding more than what UO and UW will get - the Presidents see no reason to increase competition in the league if existing member shares won't increaser. I think its unlikely it is UW and UO alone if the media won't pay more. I suppose they end up in the Big 12 then?

It will be interesting to see where we end up. But it sounds like the 4 school add is the only one which could get done to me. It is an approximate was to the media co's and perhaps a plus for the B1G net academic and athletic.

Although media drives much of this in a 50K foot sense, they can't dictate that the B1G take teams that cost its members money.

Last edited:
I worry that we are approaching a time when schools, driven by the desire to increase their media share, either force a tiered shring mechanism on their conference or simply kick schools out.

We really have to restore our football brand. The academics won't carry us.

I worry that we are approaching a time when schools, driven by the desire to increase their media share, either force a tiered shring mechanism on their conference or simply kick schools out.

We really have to restore our football brand. The academics won't carry us.
What I don't get is that UNMC get some benefit from us being in the B1G, right? If they get the benefit but UNL doesn't get to have them qualify in terms of the AAU, what the fuck?

What I don't get is that UNMC get some benefit from us being in the B1G, right? If they get the benefit but UNL doesn't get to have them qualify in terms of the AAU, what the fuck?
Not sure the AAU is that relevant now

It's fascinating, though, to look at his tweets. Fox is playing both sides, as they are on the Big 12 contract. The differencve? They have to pay more to televise Oregon games if Oregon goes to the Big 12. They don't if they go to the B1G. So they say OK to Oregon and UW to the B1g, and Oregon says No to the Big 12.

Oregon could get screwed here. I can't see why the B1G would take Oregon and UW, increase competition, increase travel costs, and cut member shares in the process.

Unless Cal and Stanford get admitted at the 11th hour it’s pretty clear that the academic side is merely a differentiating barometer between potential additions, IF they add value to the media payout.

Sounds like that won’t be happening until the next media rights negotiation at the earliest.

What a wild time.

Last edited:
Looks like everyone's favorite stalker is at again. Saw this on a FSU fan page....

Attachments

• GEnetics nerd.jpg
    GEnetics nerd.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 42

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back