Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Interesting comments by Bill Busch (2 Viewers)

Tezzer

Fullback
Elite Member
During Early Break today, he said none of Wisconsin's defensive starters would start at Nebraska. He mentioned the QB, RB, and slot were better than NU's. Overall he said the roster at Nebraska is significantly better than Wiscy. I found it interesting, because that's not how it looked on Saturday.

Pepe Silvia

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
lying top gun GIF

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
During Early Break today, he said none of Wisconsin's defensive starters would start at Nebraska. He mentioned the QB, RB, and slot were better than NU's. Overall he said the roster at Nebraska is significantly better than Wiscy. I found it interesting, because that's not how it looked on Saturday.
I'm calling BS as well.

Honestly, our D hasn't looked that great when we've faced any half-way decent QB:

Shedeur: yikes
McCarthy: yikes
Tagovailoa: 300 yds passing
Mordecai: couldn't stop him on 3rd downs

All of our wins have come vs pretty terrible QBs. Wisconsin's D had no video on Chubba hence the fast start. Once they figured out our tendencies they pretty much shut him down.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
I'm calling BS as well.

Honestly, our D hasn't looked that great when we've faced any half-way decent QB:

Shedeur: yikes
McCarthy: yikes
Tagovailoa: 300 yds passing
Mordecai: couldn't stop him on 3rd downs

All of our wins have come vs pretty terrible QBs. Wisconsin's D had no video on Chubba hence the fast start. Once they figured out our tendencies they pretty much shut him down.
With the exception of Michigan and Colorado the defense has done absolutely everything it needed to do to win games. Sometimes it feels like we shit on the defense because they're not perfect while the offense isn't fit to ride.the short bus

Pepe Silvia

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
With the exception of Michigan and Colorado the defense has done absolutely everything it needed to do to win games. Sometimes it feels like we shit on the defense because they're not perfect while the offense isn't fit to ride.the short bus
I'd even say the defense did fine against CU until the offense went full retard at the end of the 2nd quarter. with a halfway competent QB we're leading at the half there

CybrrMonky71

FukUJarvisRedwine
Elite Member
Wisconsin looked a lot bigger than us
They play a lot of white guys tho (but so do we)

BIG TONE SOPRANO

Really Big Truck
Elite Member
We’ve got an intensity and focus problem. Kids still not focused on winning full time. Go through the motions a lot of the time.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
The defense also got fucked hardcore by Sims and the offense against CU.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
I'd even say the defense did fine against CU until the offense went full retard at the end of the 2nd quarter. with a halfway competent QB we're leading at the half there
Points taken. There's a big variable you have to consider & that is what would the results be if NU had an offense that averaged 28-30 pts a game? We'd probably be 9-2.

But you also have to admit that the schedule has been absolutely garbage this year. NU faced below average QB play vs:

Minn
N Illinois
LaTech
Illinois
Northwestern
Purdue
Cockeye

Nebraska won't ever again have 7/12 games where they'll face below average QBs. So, yes, they did more than enough this year. But I don't have enough evidence of them shutting down good QBs to be convinced. I swear to you I'm not trying to be a hater, it's just my honest take on the matter.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
Points taken. There's a big variable you have to consider & that is what would the results be if NU had an offense that averaged 28-30 pts a game? We'd probably be 9-2.

But you also have to admit that the schedule has been absolutely garbage this year. NU faced below average QB play vs:

Minn
N Illinois
LaTech
Illinois
Northwestern
Purdue
Cockeye

Nebraska won't ever again have 7/12 games where they'll face below average QBs. So, yes, they did more than enough this year. But I don't have enough evidence of them shutting down good QBs to be convinced. I swear to you I'm not trying to be a hater, it's just my honest take on the matter.
Yeah I think the defense probably isn't as dominant as their stats appear. I guess I don't really worry about it because it'll be a different defense next year and those are later problems.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
We’ve got an intensity and focus problem. Kids still not focused on winning full time. Go through the motions a lot of the time.
This would be my take on the D as well. We got overwhelmed by the kool-aid about middle part of the year. You even had people like Sipple proclaim that "Nebraska has the best defense in the West." Which I immediately called BS on - bc our defense has at no point been better than Cockeye's.

Cockeye's D is amazingly resilient - they keep delivering situationally even at times when their own offense is fucking them over. And they generally get the big stops in the key moments.

Our D has been very good this year but a step below Cockeye's IMHO. They had breakdowns that cost them wins at Minnesota, at MSU, vs MD and vs WISC. I am by no means shitting in our defense...I'm just saying that if you want to be considered as good as Cockeye's D, you can't have those breakdowns. Cockeye in a normal defense yr would probably win all 4 of those games. This yr they win all 4 (if faced w same game scenarios) without question.

We're just not ready for that yet. Again, not shitting on our defense, just telling it like it is.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
The defense also got fucked hardcore by Sims and the offense against CU.
Yeah. I think if you'd go back and look at most scoring drives they've given up, they start with extremely good field position either due to shitty punts or bad turnovers.

Hard to ask them to do much more.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
This would be my take on the D as well. We got overwhelmed by the kool-aid about middle part of the year. You even had people like Sipple proclaim that "Nebraska has the best defense in the West." Which I immediately called BS on - bc our defense has at no point been better than Cockeye's.

Cockeye's D is amazingly resilient - they keep delivering situationally even at times when their own offense is fucking them over. And they generally get the big stops in the key moments.

Our D has been very good this year but a step below Cockeye's IMHO. They had breakdowns that cost them wins at Minnesota, at MSU, vs MD and vs WISC. I am by no means shitting in our defense...I'm just saying that if you want to be considered as good as Cockeye's D, you can't have those breakdowns. Cockeye in a normal defense yr would probably win all 4 of those games.

We're just not ready for that yet. Again, not shitting on our defense, just telling it like it is.
Yeah Cockeye turns defense into offense and we're not there this year. Their offense sucks but D and special teams put them i a position to succeed.

But generally I view Cockeye's winning as anomalous and statistically speaking our offense just doesn't put up enough points to win games.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Yeah Cockeye turns defense into offense and we're not there this year. Their offense sucks but D and special teams put them i a position to succeed.

But generally I view Cockeye's winning as anomalous and statistically speaking our offense just doesn't put up enough points to win games.
None of this is particularly a fair comparison. Cockeye's defensive run here over the last few yrs is historically impressive IMHO. Also they're O doesn't turn it over like ours. AND they get great STs play. So it is not a fair comparison for NU.

The fault of 5-6 record is probably:
Offense - 75%
STs - 20%
Defense - 5%

A lot of people would put the Defense at 0% fault... but at the end of the day they still had opportunities to get stops in MN game, MSU game, MD game, WISC game. The D had opportunities to win all 4 of those games and they couldn't make the stops when it counted. I know that's overly harsh but I'm taking that directly from Tony White - he said as much after every game.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
Back on topic. Anyone else think Busch might be a little butt hurt for not being retrained. Some of his comments this year give me that impression. .
Maybe, but he has been adamant from day one this team should win 8-9 games. I was like wtf until we started going through this schedule. There is no doubt we should have won 7 games. 8-9 was probably a stretch.

BIGSTICK67

Board Chairman - TPB, LLC
Elite Member
tPB OG
Back on topic. Anyone else think Busch might be a little butt hurt for not being retrained. Some of his comments this year give me that impression. .
I've made a mental note of this. Good dude, but if one listens close enough there are times that things are said to make you think twice.

It's human nature and understandable, but I've noticed as well.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds