Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Have you watched Dune 2 yet? (2 Viewers)

Tsakoi

Running Back
Elite Member
For you GoT fans a thought experiment....GRRM was obviously influenced by Dune. But it has been proven that Frank Herbert copied a different book, direct plagiarism of lines in some cases, to create Dune, so I guess all is fair. (Mild spoilers for both series/movies so be careful)

Paul = Jon (For the romantic side of the story + plus the reluctant hero + secret lineage)
Chani = Ygritte (Teach Paul and Jon how to survive around a new folk while falling in love)
The Fremen = The Free Folk (Special fighters with special skills who reject the established authority)
Stilgar = Tormund
Dune Great Houses = Westeros Great Houses (Both use a throne that represents the seat of power over all)
Ride a Worm = Tame a Dragon (both considered a special skill and sign of respect)
Bene Gesserit = Red Priestesses of R'llhor (Using religious fanaticism, prophecy and visions to propagandize groups of people + magical abilities)
Rabban = The Mountain (Brutes who are ultimately ineffective at governing regions)
Gurney Hallack = Bronn (Mercenary/Fighters that sing)
Thufur Hawat = Lord Varys (Spy Masters)
Dr. Yueh = Theon Greyjoy (Traitors)
Atomics = Dragon fire
Paul's drinking of the water of life "The Sleeper must awaken" = Bran must open his 3rd Eye
Paul gains the ability to see the past/future = Bran learns how to use the Weirwoods to see the past/future
Guild Navigators = The Iron Bank
Sardaukar = The Unsullied (Harshly trained since childhood to become the perfect warriors)
Access to spice influences power = Access to gold influences power
Both have Trial by Combat as a form of judgements
Each house is assigned a Mentat= Each house is assigned a Maester (main advisors to their respective houses)
Decisions based on prophecy
Lords and Ladies.
A seemingly unbreakable mountain shield wall = The Wall made of a mountain of Ice
Honorable Leto Atredis comes to a city he isn't ready to deal with which ultimately kills him= Honorable Eddard Stark comes to a city he isn't ready to deal with which ultimately kills him
Fatsos that can't move without assistance (Baron Harrkonen, Robert Baratheon, Illariyo Mopatis, Lord Manderly)
Poison and assassination plots
Arranged marriages that forge alliances between houses

This was all off the top of my head. I'm sure I'll think of more.

TrentMilfer

Horny Walk-on
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
For you GoT fans a thought experiment....GRRM was obviously influenced by Dune. But it has been proven that Frank Herbert copied a different book, direct plagiarism of lines in some cases, to create Dune, so I guess all is fair. (Mild spoilers for both series/movies so be careful)

Paul = Jon (For the romantic side of the story + plus the reluctant hero + secret lineage)
Chani = Ygritte (Teach Paul and Jon how to survive around a new folk while falling in love)
The Fremen = The Free Folk (Special fighters with special skills who reject the established authority)
Stilgar = Tormund
Dune Great Houses = Westeros Great Houses (Both use a throne that represents the seat of power over all)
Ride a Worm = Tame a Dragon (both considered a special skill and sign of respect)
Bene Gesserit = Red Priestesses of R'llhor (Using religious fanaticism, prophecy and visions to propagandize groups of people + magical abilities)
Rabban = The Mountain (Brutes who are ultimately ineffective at governing regions)
Atomics = Dragon fire
Paul's drinking of the water of life "The Sleeper must awaken" = Bran must open his 3rd Eye
Paul gains the ability to see the past/future = Bran learns how to use the Weirwoods to see the past/future
Sardaukar = The Unsullied (Harshly trained since childhood to become the perfect warriors)
Each house is assigned a Mentat= Each house is assigned a Maester (main advisors to their respective houses)
Lords and Ladies.
A seemingly unbreakable mountain shield wall = The Wall made of a mountain of Ice
Honorable Leto Atredis comes to a city he isn't ready to deal with which ultimately kills him= Honorable Eddard Stark comes to a city he isn't ready to deal with which ultimately kills him
Fatsos that can't move without assistance (Baron Harrkonen, Robert Baratheon, Illariyo Mopatis, Lord Manderly)

I was thinking how much better it would be if they had done a GOT type series with the first Dune book. 10 hours of content with the same actors from the movies. They could have stuck more true to the book with more detail

Sous Chef

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member

Stilgar = Tormund
Atomics = Dragon fire
Lords and Ladies.

Life is very cheap....probably the single most laughable thing they did with this movie was make it so the Fremen-any of them-had any awareness that the prophecies were Bene Gesserit implanted and that Paul and Jessica weren't working hard to exploit those prophecies. Can't have the hero of your story exploiting naive tribal peoples. I also got a kick out of how they slid around the ethical and moral problems that Paul's sister would have raised. If they make a third movie as is rumored the only time we will see her is as an adult is my guess.

Juro

Sarcastic Ass
Elite Member
Bounty Hunter
Loved the movie. Excited to watch it again.

As far as the book Messiah goes for a third film which takes place 12 years after the start of the end of Part 2, how long is a year?

pigsonthewing

Cornerback
Loved the movie. Excited to watch it again.

As far as the book Messiah goes for a third film which takes place 12 years after the start of the end of Part 2, how long is a year?
its still standard.
what's different is the calendar, BG(before guild) AG (after the foundation of the guild). the first movie is 10191 AG, which would be like 20k+ years from our present.

Fargo Husker

Quarterback
Elite Member
Went last night and really enjoyed the movie.

Never read any of the books so I have no reference for comparison or complaint.

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Thanks for bring that up.

Anyone else think the last year's D&D movie was good? I really enjoyed it and if they get the core cast back for the next one, I will probably end up watching it.
I was really surprised how good it was.

I was expecting Warcraft levels of dogshit but it was actually pretty great.

Last edited:

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds