Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Haarberg (1 Viewer)

Cornicator

Cornerback
Insider
His throwing motion wouldn't really be a problem if he had better instincts when trying to extend a play. Successfull QBs, in modern football, improvise when protection breaks down. He's mobile enough that he should be able to catch defenses in no man's land when he's outside the pocket.

Not trying to excuse the offensive line and their porous pass pro at times, but I feel like Haarberg needs to do a better job of identifying where pressure will originate. That's also on the OC.

There have been some QBs who have developed those skills with more experience. But I'm skeptical with Heinrich. You also need to have a dynamic QB coach who can prepare that dude each week. I'm not sure Satterfield has ever been labeled as dynamic.

Cornicator

Cornerback
Insider
The Haarberg love has the same vibe the Scott Frost love did.

I think people are confusing a preference for Haarberg as "love" when it's more indicative of an aversion for Jeff Sims.

I tend to think the people who are clamoring for Sims are living in a World of denial.

Haarberg now only has 3 less career wins than Sims in 22 less starts.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
The Chain Phil GIF by MCDM

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
I think people are confusing a preference for Haarberg as "love" when it's more indicative of an aversion for Jeff Sims.

I tend to think the people who are clamoring for Sims are living in a World of denial.

Yeah. Sims gave away two absolutely winnable games and I have no interest in ever seeing him again. He is what he is at this point and while haarberg certainly has some issues, he hasn't yet proven to be the least ball secure QB in America

CornFed Gregger

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
He’s getting the Nebraska guy love but I don’t think anyone loves what he brings with his play.

When ya consider the alternatives, haarberg is something we gotta live with. Can’t go & sign some free agent QB. Next year he’ll get replaced with another NIL QB, hopefully one who doesn’t suck like simms

jw3

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
I mean he's clearly not the answer at QB long term but in this day and age of portal, he's pretty ideal for a backup QB the next couple years, especially now that he has some experience and we trust he can at least be capable and not fuck everything up.

we've got to bring in a top portal QB this off-season and shit I'd probably bring in a 2nd high schooler. I'd use Haarberg like a Blake Bell, bring him in for a package to bulldoze guys, trick plays, maybe a little TE/WR. he's too good of an athlete to not be getting some opportunities to carry the ball.

YankeesJunkie

Linebacker
Yeah I hope that Rhule is honest with Sims like he was with Casey and tells him he needs to move on to get solid PT. I know Rhule "hand-picked" him etc but he's gotta do it.

One other thing for the Haarberg-haters in the thread - you do have to give him some credit for the 3-1 record. I know we're all assuming that Sims would be the same 3-1 with those opponents but I've been around Nebraska FB long enough to know you never make assumptions like that. There's no guarantee that even a healthy Sims would be 3-1 over those 4 games. There's a chance his yips continued against NIU & the game spiraled out of control (lord knows we've seen that before).
Agreed, if we see Sims next year, then I would be concerned, if Rhule is along the lines, thought we had something special with Sims and it did not work out and we are going to move on then Rhule will earn huge kudos for me. QBs especially with the way the portal is not a 100% guarantee.

Red Finger

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG

It’s simple for me. Who has the better talent is obvious. Put him back in and if he F’s it up take him out. The things people are willing to ignore and justify from HH is hilarious to me. The upside is clearly with sims. We aren’t making a bowl with HH.

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev 👻
Elite Member
It’s simple for me. Who has the better talent is obvious. Put him back in and if he F’s it up take him out. The things people are willing to ignore and justify from HH is hilarious to me. The upside is clearly with sims. We aren’t making a bowl with HH.
100% correct.

Stan Raymond

Cornerback
Sims' talent isn't going to win us games, at least not this year with this offense.

With the remaining schedule, with our defense, the answer to who should play QB is who is going to turn the ball over the least. If we don't turn the ball over and score 2 to 3 TDs, we are going to win a lot of the remaining games.

We don't need to play the QB who is the most talented, we need to play the QB who will fuck up the least, currently that is Haarberg, but not by much.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Sims' talent isn't going to win us games, at least not this year with this offense.

With the remaining schedule, with our defense, the answer to who should play QB is who is going to turn the ball over the least. If we don't turn the ball over and score 2 to 3 TDs, we are going to win a lot of the remaining games.

We don't need to play the QB who is the most talented, we need to play the QB who will fuck up the least, currently that is Haarberg, but not by much.
I agree. They have to wait until Haarberg throws 2-3 interceptions and be losing to put Sims in. I'm surprised it's taken this long tbh but might as well ride it.

CornHub

Offensive Lineman
Hopefully we can figure out a Taysom Hill type of role for him next year to keep him on the field. If he’s QB1 we are royally fucked
Right. I actually think he's a really talented football player, but his future isn't at the QB position. He could be a really dangerous weapon on offense with multiple ways to use him. It's probably best to not have him throwing though..

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
It’s actually not beyond the realm of possibility we can make a bowl with HH. We could easily win the next three. I agree HH isn’t the answer, but Sims isn’t either. There is enough evidence. Get a new transfer for next year.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
Need to throw some money in the portal this year for a QB, RB, and WRs. It’s pretty well-established you can find those things every year if you’re willing to spend the money on them.

We just spent 160m on a facility and are attempting to raise 250m for a new stadium. Hopefully we don’t have competing financial interests this off-season.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds