Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Breaking Garret McGuire WR Coach (1 Viewer)

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
I would say RB coach but I'm not going to die on the hill arguing it.

Both recruiting is more important than development
Basketball Wives Agree GIF by VH1

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Watch this guy turn out to be the best recruiter on staff lmao
For positions like RB and WR that's the key. Those position groups HAVE to be your recruiting work horses - they're positions are relatively easy to coach & develop. Their value is the nonstop hours they put in on the recruiting trail. And the connections they have with HS coaches in key recruiting areas (ie DFW/TX).

This is why Mickey Joseph was such a good WR coach at LSU. For stud WRs he had like Chase and Jefferson, it's not like he was coaching them w/ mind blowing tactical analysis and strategy tips. 90% of MJ's value was GETTING them to LSU. Yes, he coached them up too, but the majority of the work is getting them there and putting them in positions to succeed (QB, OL).

Look at Wisconsin's RB situation. Anyone find it odd that they always have brand new RBs right out of HS who tear the league up at 17-18 yrs old? They must have a wizard at RB coach!!! The reality is, 90% of the battle is FINDING the amazing RB HS prospect and getting him to come to Wisconsin. Allen and Taylor were both like 17 yrs old when they were torching B1G defenses. They hadn't even been ar UW long enough to GET coaching lol. I don't even know who Wisconsin's RB coach was and neither did 99% of CFB fans.

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Here’s the main reason I trust Rhule’s decision making:

We are conditioned from the last 5 years to have a lazy leader putting together an inexperienced AND primarily/seemingly lazy staff. If there’s one thing from all the assistant interviews, Rhule’s guys live this game. It’s all they do. A 23/24 year old white QB from Texas that went to Baylor will have energy, no vices, and likely a great work ethic considering his upbringing. Kid has a TON to prove. But a D1 QB seems like a great place to find someone who likes a challenge.

Rhule doesn’t want the path of least resistance like FHCSF wanted at every turn. He demands a lot out of his staff. So “buddy hires” like this one (from optics) aren’t as worrisome.

My biggest frustration from Frost’s years - he and his staff acted like we were lucky to have them. I believe Rhule is the exact antithesis of that, and realizes it in how he talks about his role here. We are getting guys that want to prove it by earning it. That’s 1 thing I trust about Matt Rhule

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Rhule's staff is going to have to figure out how to own that inexperience and convince recruits that they're better off in Lincoln than elsewhere. He's taken some big gambles on the staff and it seems implausible that all of them hit
I think the "big gamble" is a bit overplayed - he has known and worked with these guys for a number of years. It could be they don't work out, but the risk of that is mitigated by the fact that he knows, in general, what they can do, and he knows they'll do things the way he wants.

I don't think there is much risk of a catastrophic bust, frankly.

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member

Juro

Sarcastic Ass
Elite Member
Bounty Hunter
To be honest, I'm excited for the famous 'player and coach lookalikes' for our new WR coach.

BorWhiskey

Ziggy Stardust
Insider
Elite Member
Do you guys think he used his Madden experience on his resumé?
Ncaa football experience is what counts here, and doubtful he got to play much if any since the game ended when he was 10.
Fans worried about what assistants get paid is fascinating to me.
I get it. That money is AD money which could go somewhere else. It’s not like sunk costs. Spend $2m on hookers and blow for the players instead of reaching for coaches.
Half of this staff looks like plan B (or worse) guys:
I had this same thought. The attribute he’s looking for most in his coaches is work ethic. I do think there is an inverse correlation between experience and busting your ass at every aspect of the game. Maybe he had conversations with the plan A’s and didn’t like how comfortable they were in what they were doing.

I think this goes to the culture he’s trying to establish. I think it’s logical to wonder and worry if/when this inexperience will come back and bite us. I’m going to hold off on doing so until it’s too late.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
I think the "big gamble" is a bit overplayed - he has known and worked with these guys for a number of years. It could be they don't work out, but the risk of that is mitigated by the fact that he knows, in general, what they can do, and he knows they'll do things the way he wants.

I don't think there is much risk of a catastrophic bust, frankly.
The risk in my view has less to do with what Rhule thinks he's getting in these coaches and more to do with the lack of Big Ten/major conference experience and probably coaching experience generally. As we learned, or at least ought to have learned, with Frost is that the pool gets much deeper when you get into major conference football. And sure we can name a million ways in which Rhule is different than Frost.

Supposing this staff is "final", here is what we're looking at in terms of full time assistant experience and P5 assistant experience (Note that assistant to assistant coach as is the case in the NFL doesn't count, only dudes who ran their own shop. For example, uncle Donny spent 3 or 4 seasons as an assistant to Hiestand in Chicago that doesn't count)

Total experience (P5/NFL experience)

OC/QB: Satterfield 17 (4)
WR: McGuire 0 (0)
RB: Barthel 4 (0)
TE: Wager 0 (0)
OL: Raiola 2 (1)

DC: White 14 (6)
DL: Knighton 2 (0)
LB: Dvoracek 2 (0)
DB: Cooper 5 (5)

ST: Foley 30ish (0)

66 total years, 16 in P5/NFL

Of course all of these guys have lots of experience being around football but that's true of almost every staff in America.

By contrast
Here's Rhule's first Baylor staff fwiw
Years coaching/NFL college or pro at assistant coach or higher (major conference/NFL experience)

Baylor

Co-OC/QB Glenn Thomas: 13 (3)
Co-OC/RB Jeff Nixon: 18 (6)
DC Phil Snow: 38 (20)
OL George DeLeone: 47 (22)
TE Joey McGuire: 0 (0)
WR Bob Bicknell: 24 (8)
DB/AHC Fran Brown: 4 (0)
DL Elijah Robinson: 3 (0)
LB Mike Siravo: 14 (5)

161 combined years of collegiate or pro experience + 64 years of major conference and NFL experience

If one were to want to be glass half full, you'd look at Fran Brown, Elijah Robinson, Joey McGuire who were green af and are now some of the biggest hitting assistants in CFB/HC themselves, but they had a whole heck of a lot of experience around them to bring them along.

Last edited:

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
The risk in my view has less to do with what Rhule thinks he's getting in these coaches and more to do with the lack of Big Ten/major conference experience and probably coaching experience generally. As we learned, or at least ought to have learned, with Frost is that the pool gets much deeper when you get into major conference football. And sure we can name a million ways in which Rhule is different than Frost.

Supposing this staff is "final", here is what we're looking at in terms of full time assistant experience and P5 assistant experience (Note that assistant to assistant coach as is the case in the NFL doesn't count, only dudes who ran their own shop. For example, uncle Donny spent 3 or 4 seasons as an assistant to Hiestand in Chicago that doesn't count)

Of course all of these guys have lots of experience being around football but that's true of almost every staff in America.

By contrast

If one were to want to be glass half full, you'd look at Fran Brown, Elijah Robinson, Joey McGuire who were green af and are now some of the biggest hitting assistants in CFB/HC themselves, but they had a whole heck of a lot of experience around them to bring them along.
Here is Lane Kiffin's Ole Miss staff heading into the 2022 season shown the same way (Derrick Nix was not a Kiffin hire - he has been at Ole Miss for 15 years). The coordinators are very inexperienced - it would seem having experienced coordinators is the key way to distribute experience at the P5 level.

TOTALP5NFL
John David BakerAssistant Coach/Co-Offensive Coordinator/Tight Ends
2​
2​
0​
Marty BiagiSpecial Teams Coordinator
10​
2​
0​
Marquel BlackwellAssistant Coach/Running Backs
9​
1​
0​
Sam CarterAssistant Coach/Cornerbacks
2​
2​
0​
Maurice CrumAssistant Coach/Co-Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers
6​
0​
0​
Randall JoynerAssistant Coach/Defensive Line
4​
1​
0​
Derrick NixAssistant Head Coach/Wide Receivers
18​
15​
0​
Chris PartridgeAssistant Coach/Co-Defensive Coordinator/Safeties
9​
5​
0​
Charlie Weis Jr.Assistant Coach/Co-Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
4​
0​
0​
64​
28​
0​

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
Here is Lane Kiffin's Ole Miss staff heading into the 2022 season shown the same way (Derrick Nix was not a Kiffin hire - he has been at Ole Miss for 15 years)

TOTALP5NFL
John David BakerAssistant Coach/Co-Offensive Coordinator/Tight Ends
2​
2​
0​
Marty BiagiSpecial Teams Coordinator
10​
2​
0​
Marquel BlackwellAssistant Coach/Running Backs
9​
1​
0​
Sam CarterAssistant Coach/Cornerbacks
2​
2​
0​
Maurice CrumAssistant Coach/Co-Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers
6​
0​
0​
Randall JoynerAssistant Coach/Defensive Line
4​
1​
0​
Derrick NixAssistant Head Coach/Wide Receivers
18​
15​
0​
Chris PartridgeAssistant Coach/Co-Defensive Coordinator/Safeties
9​
5​
0​
Charlie Weis Jr.Assistant Coach/Co-Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
4​
0​
0​
64​
28​
0​
That's good information.

Tsakoi

Running Back
Elite Member

By contrast

The head coach and both coordinators have a ton of experience. Then you add the grandpa presence of the ST coach and there are enough mentors to shepard the younger coaches along. The TE coach may not have recent CFB experience but plenty of years working with young players. I for one think the staff has a really good mixture of youth and pedigree.

HuskerDocCo

100 & havin fun GBR !!
tPB OG
The head coach and both coordinators have a ton of experience. Then you add the grandpa presence of the ST coach and there are enough mentors to shepard the younger coaches along. The TE coach may not have recent CFB experience but plenty of years working with young players. I for one think the staff has a really good mixture of youth and pedigree.
elite posts made by elite members! Flash gawd damit Sumbitch happy new year ⚡️⚡️⚡️

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
It may well be. I'm just pretty calibrated at this point to be skeptical of things that I believe are outside the "norm" of assembling a power 5 staff with aspirations of competing for titles. Maybe I'm totally wrong and more staffs of "peer programs" look like Rhule's and Kiffin's, though. I know Harbaugh has hired high school coaches and given guys from the NFL, mostly the Ravens, big time opportunities so hopefully it works out similarly for Rhule.

The thing to like a lot is that there will be almost no learning curve for the staff to all get on the same page with what they want to do so they should be able to hit the ground running

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds