Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Breaking Garret McGuire WR Coach (4 Viewers)

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
It may well be. I'm just pretty calibrated at this point to be skeptical of things that I believe are outside the "norm" of assembling a power 5 staff with aspirations of competing for titles. Maybe I'm totally wrong and more staffs of "peer programs" look like Rhule's and Kiffin's, though. I know Harbaugh has hired high school coaches and given guys from the NFL, mostly the Ravens, big time opportunities so hopefully it works out similarly for Rhule.

The thing to like a lot is that there will be almost no learning curve for the staff to all get on the same page with what they want to do so they should be able to hit the ground running
What does it take to put together a staff to win championships? Let's look at the Big 10 champ's staff:

WR Coach - Ron Bellamy. He has coached at Michigan for 2 years, before that he was a high school coach for 10 years, no other coaching experience
OL Coach (COOC) - Sherrone Moore. He had never coached offensive line until last year. Before that he was TEs coach for 3 years at Michigan. Before that he had 1 year of power 5 experience coaching TEs at Louisville
QB Coach (CoOC) - Matt Weiss. He's coached QBs for 2 years now. Ton of experience just not a lot at coaching QBs. Coached for the Ravens at LB, CB, Assistant QB (2 years), Assistant WR, RB.
RB Coach- Mike Hart. Good experience, Has only been at Michigan for 2 years but had RB coaching experience at Indiana from 2017-2020 and a year at Syracuse before that. Also coached RBs in the MAC for 4 years.
TE Coach - Grant Newsome. First year. Has never coached TE's and this is his first ever full time coaching job. Was a GA at Michigan before this.

DC - Jesse MInter. Minter was DC at Vandy for a year before that he was at the Ravens for 3 years as an assistant coach. Only other power 5 experience was as an intern at Notre Dame. He did coordinate some FCS defenses before going to the Ravens.
CoDC/DB - Steve Clinkscale. In his 2nd year at Michigan. He's been coaching a while. He was the DB coach at Kentucky for 5 years also had a short stint at Cincinatti and Illinois as DB Coach
DL/RC - Mike Elson. Elston is in his first year at Michigan. He was at Notre Dame for 12 years coaching DL/ST/LB. Ton of experience there.
Saf/ST - Jay Harbaugh. His first coaching job was at Michigan as TE coach in 2015. He's coached other positions.
LB - George Helow -2 years at Michigan. 1 Year as ILB/ST at Maryland, Also coached safeties 2 years at Georgia

Michigan definitely has a lot more experience than Nebraska's current staff. But a few things stuck out to me.

Ron Bellamy
Sherrone Moore
Grant Newsome
Jay Harbaugh

All 4 of those guys were given their first real coaching jobs at Michigan. Sherrone Moore is a Co-OC and OL coach and he had literally never coached the OL before Michigan. Ron Bellamy was a high school football coach before Harbaugh hired him on (sound familiar?). Grant Newsome is a former player of Harbaugh that obviously he thinks highly enough of to make him a GA and now a full time coach (sound familiar?). and that damn nepotism..Jay Harbaugh getting his first ever coaching job with a blue blood at Michigan (sound familiar?)

My point is you see a lot of "blue bloods don't hire guys that have to learn on the job" talk on Nebraska message boards. Welp..you're wrong. That does happen. Because head coaches A) hire guys they know and trust B) know more than us about these situations.

And don't you guys dare look at a picture of George Helow...there's no way a white bread guy like that could demand attention in a room of 5 star LBs from black communities.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
What does it take to put together a staff to win championships? Let's look at the Big 10 champ's staff:

WR Coach - Ron Bellamy. He has coached at Michigan for 2 years, before that he was a high school coach for 10 years, no other coaching experience
OL Coach (COOC) - Sherrone Moore. He had never coached offensive line until last year. Before that he was TEs coach for 3 years at Michigan. Before that he had 1 year of power 5 experience coaching TEs at Louisville
QB Coach (CoOC) - Matt Weiss. He's coached QBs for 2 years now. Ton of experience just not a lot at coaching QBs. Coached for the Ravens at LB, CB, Assistant QB (2 years), Assistant WR, RB.
RB Coach- Mike Hart. Good experience, Has only been at Michigan for 2 years but had RB coaching experience at Indiana from 2017-2020 and a year at Syracuse before that. Also coached RBs in the MAC for 4 years.
TE Coach - Grant Newsome. First year. Has never coached TE's and this is his first ever full time coaching job. Was a GA at Michigan before this.

DC - Jesse MInter. Minter was DC at Vandy for a year before that he was at the Ravens for 3 years as an assistant coach. Only other power 5 experience was as an intern at Notre Dame. He did coordinate some FCS defenses before going to the Ravens.
CoDC/DB - Steve Clinkscale. In his 2nd year at Michigan. He's been coaching a while. He was the DB coach at Kentucky for 5 years also had a short stint at Cincinatti and Illinois as DB Coach
DL/RC - Mike Elson. Elston is in his first year at Michigan. He was at Notre Dame for 12 years coaching DL/ST/LB. Ton of experience there.
Saf/ST - Jay Harbaugh. His first coaching job was at Michigan as TE coach in 2015. He's coached other positions.
LB - George Helow -2 years at Michigan. 1 Year as ILB/ST at Maryland, Also coached safeties 2 years at Georgia

Michigan definitely has a lot more experience than Nebraska's current staff. But a few things stuck out to me.

Ron Bellamy
Sherrone Moore
Grant Newsome
Jay Harbaugh

All 4 of those guys were given their first real coaching jobs at Michigan. Sherrone Moore is a Co-OC and OL coach and he had literally never coached the OL before Michigan. Ron Bellamy was a high school football coach before Harbaugh hired him on (sound familiar?). Grant Newsome is a former player of Harbaugh that obviously he thinks highly enough of to make him a GA and now a full time coach (sound familiar?). and that damn nepotism..Jay Harbaugh getting his first ever coaching job with a blue blood at Michigan (sound familiar?)

My point is you see a lot of "blue bloods don't hire guys that have to learn on the job" talk on Nebraska message boards. Welp..you're wrong. That does happen. Because head coaches A) hire guys they know and trust B) know more than us about these situations.

And don't you guys dare look at a picture of George Helow...there's no way a white bread guy like that could demand attention in a room of 5 star LBs from black communities.
This is also great stuff. Been a pretty illuminating conversation.

For whatever it's worth, I don't give a shit about the age or race of the staff. McGuire, for example, has been around football his entire life so he very likely knows how to connect with people who love football.

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Fans worried about what assistants get paid is fascinating to me.
If you buy a 1986 Buick Riviera with the $30,000 your grandma gave you before her death, I reserve the right to call you a dipshit.

McGuire will do fine, though.

Last edited:

huskersoup

Linebacker
Elite Member

Ron Bellamy
Sherrone Moore
Grant Newsome
Jay Harbaugh

Here’s the main reason I trust Rhule’s decision making:

We are conditioned from the last 5 years to have a lazy leader putting together an inexperienced AND primarily/seemingly lazy staff. If there’s one thing from all the assistant interviews, Rhule’s guys live this game. It’s all they do. A 23/24 year old white QB from Texas that went to Baylor will have energy, no vices, and likely a great work ethic considering his upbringing. Kid has a TON to prove. But a D1 QB seems like a great place to find someone who likes a challenge.

Rhule doesn’t want the path of least resistance like FHCSF wanted at every turn. He demands a lot out of his staff. So “buddy hires” like this one (from optics) aren’t as worrisome.

My biggest frustration from Frost’s years - he and his staff acted like we were lucky to have them. I believe Rhule is the exact antithesis of that, and realizes it in how he talks about his role here. We are getting guys that want to prove it by earning it. That’s 1 thing I trust about Matt Rhule
These two posts are stellar if you are not in the “sky is falling” camp

mcgradynu

Linebacker
Elite Member
tPB OG
I am hoping to be able to share who this friend is that I've mentioned before, but I can tell you that he has been offered head OL coach positions at other schools but may take an assistant OL coach position at Nebraska because he wants to be a part of Rhule's staff. The point being that if Rhule is taking young guys, it's because they fit his criteria, not because he's desperate for coaches. I'm not saying they will all work out - they rarely all do. But I'll take a young, hungry staff right now that fits Rhule's standards and know his culture.

Lionsfan93

Running Back
Recruiting Analyst
Nebrasketball
tPB OG
Seems like a good hire to me, why all the angst?
I'm fine with the hire, but I'm not sure how you can say it is a good hire. No resume to say it is a good hire. Sure, he has some connections that *could* make him a good hire. But, from a fan's perspective who has never worked with him, there is no way to perceive this as a good hire.

That being said, I trust Rhule and am choosing to believe he is the second coming of Lincoln Riley.

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
What if Fleek & McQuire are actually Eskimo Brothers? And we thought the only way players & coaches could be Eskimo Brothers was if they went to LSU.
You think this upstanding lad could be a train conductor?

ylnwvgyscyt47hn71j7v.jpg

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds