Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Casey and Charles Thompson meeting with Rhule now. (4 Viewers)

kenyanfeline

Pussy Patrol
Insider
Elite Member
Thompson strikes me as a QB who’s skill set is actually better suited for an RPO scheme, and not whatever the hell Whipple was asking him to do.

RPO’s, when correctly schemed, can actually negate a lot of OL pass-pro issues. If you have decent tackles and terrible interior lineman, you can essentially take your interior lineman out of the equation by moving the pocket to wherever your best lineman are. It gets the QB on the edge and gives the pass rushers multiple things to worry about, as opposed to doing a 5 step drop and praying our OL keeps the pocket clean for more than 1.5 seconds.

That’s part of why you hear Rhule say the burden of protecting the QB goes 1. Coaches 2. QB 3. OL

Whipple, on the other hand, believed in 1. OL 2. QB 3. RB 4. Receivers getting open 5. Coaches

Tell_Sackett

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
If I have to nit, CT was a bit inconsistent in his accuracy at times, particularly on crossing routes. That said, he likely has PTSD from the war zone we call a pocket.

The fact that he stepped back into the starting role, beat up, with nothing to play for and performed well speaks volumes to his character imo. I'd roll with him one more year. The bigger question is can we find a competent backup because he likely will get hurt again.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
If I have to nit, CT was a bit inconsistent in his accuracy at times, particularly on crossing routes. That said, he likely has PTSD from the war zone we call a pocket.

The fact that he stepped back into the starting role, beat up, with nothing to play for and performed well speaks volumes to his character imo. I'd roll with him one more year. The bigger question is can we find a competent backup because he likely will get hurt again.
He also had probably a dozen deep balls that would have been easy TDs this year where he didn't get near enough on it

11husker23

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
He also had probably a dozen deep balls that would have been easy TDs this year where he didn't get near enough on it
He also had numerous injuries that probably hampered his ability to throw the ball deep at times. He seems like someone you want to keep around if you can. Unless they have another portal target in mind already.

Jay Bilzerian

Safety
Elite Member
He's 24, if he came back, he would be 25.5 before a potential NFL contract signing, if he has aspirations to that.

It does feel like he's been through the wringer & might be ready to move on to the next phase of his life, but I'd be a big fan of convincing him to come back for one last ride.
Only difference is that he can make more money here next year than any non-nfl job he could get. I’d stick around for another six figure payday.

Tsakoi

Running Back
Elite Member
I have a feeling this meeting is about two things....

1: See what kind of offer Casey can squeeze out of NIL. (Smart move)

2: Gauge interest and if needed pitch keeping Mickey as MJ and Mr. Thompson are buds. (Loyalty move)

Last edited:

whoboppin

Linebacker
Not an insideher, but Nebraska is always going to be the darkhorse in this race to get his signature.

If his dad thinks Nebraska is going in the right direction and Rhule and staff don't fuck up the visits when they come, I think we still have a fighting chance.
Even if he signs with OSU, there's probably a better percentage change he starts a game at Nebraska compared to Torres or Haarburg in the portal era.

Say OSUs next freshmen 5 star steps in and throws for 3500 yards and 25 TDS next year, doubt Raiola wants to sit for 2 years.

herbsinator

Running Back
Elite Member
He's 24, if he came back, he would be 25.5 before a potential NFL contract signing, if he has aspirations to that.

It does feel like he's been through the wringer & might be ready to move on to the next phase of his life, but I'd be a big fan of convincing him to come back for one last ride.
That extra NIL $$ could set him up pretty nicely for the next phase of his life.

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Even if he signs with OSU, there's probably a better percentage change he starts a game at Nebraska compared to Torres or Haarburg in the portal era.

Say OSUs next freshmen 5 star steps in and throws for 3500 yards and 25 TDS next year, doubt Raiola wants to sit for 2 years.
I think if Raiola goes to OSU that there is a good chance he transfers to Nebraska at some point. They seem to get a highly rated quarterback or 2 every year and only 1 wins the top of the depth chart. Like you said if he doesn't want to wait and Rhule has things looking good at Nebraska then Dad would be happy to have him at his alma mater NU.

Huskerforlife

Head Coach
Elite Member
Cade McNamara just hit the transfer portal.

There will be quite a few QB's becoming available over the next couple of weeks.

Wonder if there will be mutual interest, or if Rhule or his staff contacts him.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds