Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Assistant Coaches (1 Viewer)

Fargo Husker

Quarterback
Elite Member
Lubick has been garbage just like he was everywhere else he's been.

If Frost gets another year and shuffles the assistants, he would be wise to not hire anyone he is friends with or has worked together closely with (Helfrich). He needs to get out of his comfort zone and can't afford to hire more buddies to hunt or drink with.

Problem with that is SF calls the plays. He's always been the guy calling plays. Lubick has been asked about it several times. He always gives a answer like: I'm providing input, ultimately that's Scott's call, etc etc etc.

Lubick knows what Scott wants to do and can aid what SF wants to do. That's why he was hired from a credit union FFS. I have a pretty tough time believing SF would ever actually turn over the play calling duties.....or even bring someone in that would challenge him. Buuuuut maybe 4 straight losing seasons would change your mind. It get's you fired most places but whateves.
I agree with both of you. This will likely all amount to rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. And while it’d be good for Frost to cede control of the offense, he won’t. Which is why a guy like Helfrich makes sense given this context: experienced OC, coaches QBs, familiar with his “system”.

KidsSeeGhosts

Quarterback
Elite Member
I think Chadwell probably gets the VT job. I know that y’all don’t take the Sun Belt seriously, but he’s not leaving for anything other than a P5 or high level G5 job. I would consider hiring O’Korn who is the QB coach there.

Verduzco and Austin have go go. Defensive staff should stay in tact.

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev 👻
Elite Member
Both Nelson and Tannor have showed a lot of improvement. If you want to talk shit about their recruiting go ahead, but it’s hard to find the great pass rusher. There aren’t a whole lot out there.
I'm not asking for them to go out and sign a Von Miller every class, but damn, we're one of the worst defenses in FBS when it comes to rushing the passer. We have to upgrade at OLB coach and should upgrade at ILB.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
I'm not asking for them to go out and sign a Von Miller every class, but damn, we're one of the worst defenses in FBS when it comes to rushing the passer. We have to upgrade at OLB coach and should upgrade at ILB.
It’s hard for me to talk shit about Dawson and Ruud at this point. The linebackers have been solid across the board. It’s hard for me to talk shit about any coaches on the defensive side. If they had a competent offense and special teams to go with them they would look better yet. If you want to talk bad about recruiting go ahead, but I see a lot of positions where recruiting isn’t great at this point.

kchusker1423

Linebacker
Elite Member
This is a Championship defense with a Chumpionship offense. The defensive staff has done a really good job developing players all across the board. There are numerous examples of players who've taken the next step on that side of the ball. And that honestly has me excited to see what they can do with another year of development under the defensive staff.

The offensive staff (and Frost) can get fired into the fucking sun for all I care. Name any group that has shown improvement outside of TE. It's pretty tough. Maybe Rahmir?

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev 👻
Elite Member
This is a Championship defense with a Chumpionship offense. The defensive staff has done a really good job developing players all across the board. There are numerous examples of players who've taken the next step on that side of the ball. And that honestly has me excited to see what they can do with another year of development under the defensive staff.

The offensive staff (and Frost) can get fired into the fucking sun for all I care. Name any group that has shown improvement outside of TE. It's pretty tough. Maybe Rahmir?
Rahmir definitely improved, but yeah...mostly regression on the offense.

KidsSeeGhosts

Quarterback
Elite Member
I don't see a single reason to touch the defensive staff. Defense has balled out all year. We're hurting from the misses in the first couple recruiting cycles at OLB. Lowest YPP allowed in Ryan Day's entire time at OSU yesterday. Top 15 in stop rate. Keep it rolling.

TreedHusker

Defensive Lineman
I don't see a single reason to touch the defensive staff. Defense has balled out all year. We're hurting from the misses in the first couple recruiting cycles at OLB. Lowest YPP allowed in Ryan Day's entire time at OSU yesterday. Top 15 in stop rate. Keep it rolling.
With the uncertainty surrounding Frost, even if the staff is retained, I'd be concerned about Fisher jumping ship if a good opportunity comes. I don't think we retain the whole D start unfortunately.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
With the uncertainty surrounding Frost, even if the staff is retained, I'd be concerned about Fisher jumping ship if a good opportunity comes. I don't think we retain the whole D start unfortunately.
I know Chinander is buddies with Frost but what if a decent power 5 school comes calling for him? I would leave if I was him.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
His ability to "recruit" some starters to come back for next year has to factor into his decision too
I would assume any defensive player who has a shot at the pros leaves. There is no reason to stay around for this shit show when they don’t get any help. Let’s say you bring in a whole new offensive staff, I can’t see the offense being very good especially if we are looking at Smothers or Haarberg running the show.

TreedHusker

Defensive Lineman
You could have Chin coach OLBs and then just go head hunt a bad ass recruiter and worry about his position later
Isn't this what we have in Held, but now he needs to be replaced? We aren't getting day one starters in recruiting, so coaches have to be able to do some development too

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
Isn't this what we have in Held, but now he needs to be replaced? We aren't getting day one starters in recruiting, so coaches have to be able to do some development too
I mean is Held's recruiting all that good? I more meant that you can get out of the need to replace an OLB coach with an OLB coach for instance if Chin can do it, so you're more flexible with who you could hire. Obviously you don't go out looking for a stud recruiter who is a total slouch as a coach, but if you find a guy who can pull in elite players, you're starting in a better spot.

Red Dog

Cornerback
Elite Member
For us to bring in new quality assistants we are going to have to guarantee some fat 2 year contracts. Which begs the question, at what point is it worth just ripping the band-aid off completely? I don’t envy Turd, that’s for sure.

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
Lastly, can someone provide me with even one example of a coach that has failed at the level that Frost has, made staff changes, and changed the trajectory of the program?
I don't know of any, but I also don't think it's quite THAT simple... because of the fact that most coaches get fired instead of receiving a new lease on life haha. I bet there would be SOME examples of it working out if other schools made the wild decision to stick with the coach who was failing, but for the most part by the end of year 4 there is a new AD who wants to bring in his own guy (doesn't seem to be the case here), or there is a "toxic culture" in desperate need of a refresh (doesn't seem to be the case here), or the on-field results are just in a total death spiral (doesn't seem to be the case here YET).

So we're really in unique purgatory here with a coach who is failing in the W/L column to an incredible degree, but still going blow-to-blow with the best teams, has a new AD who wants to give him more support and resources, a team who hasn't thrown in the towel, and a majority of the fanbase who has almost infinite love and patience for the guy. So really we're in uncharted waters. MABYE it could work out...? Probably not though. Haha

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds