Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Assistant Coaches (3 Viewers)

Fargo Husker

Quarterback
Elite Member
I would be very interested to know what Chadwell would say to OC/Associate Head Coach at something like $1.4 million a year.

The rationale is as follows:
1. He makes $800k
2. Coastal likely will never be able to get up much higher unless Moglia just writes the checks to do it.
3. The past Sun Belt to P5 head coaches are.guys who had previous major conference assistant coaching experience, e.g. Malzahn OC at Drinkwitz at NCSU. Chadwell has never coached in a major conference, recruited in a major conference, and I'd guess the attractiveness of him as a HC in one is limited by this.
4. He philosophically fits what Frost is trying to implement
Maybe we could throw $1.5-2 mil at Mullen to be OC/QB coach. His Gators are getting thrashed by South Carolina, one of the P5 teams that may be worse than us, so he might be out of a job soon.

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
No assistant worth his weight in shit is going to board this sinking ship. That’s the problem. You can’t hire quality coaches when you’re fucking 15-29 because everyone knows they’re gonna get fired the next year.
Oh go fucking cry about my god

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
No assistant worth his weight in shit is going to board this sinking ship. That’s the problem. You can’t hire quality coaches when you’re fucking 15-29 because everyone knows they’re gonna get fired the next year.
I don't know. Coaching is a pretty transient profession and lots of coaches move on after a couple years anyways. Are you poaching anyone with a secure job at a comparable salary? No. But the world's a big place

Fargo Husker

Quarterback
Elite Member
Here's a helpful link: https://www.Tater Island.com/news/50-rising-star-position-coaches-2021-college-football-season/
After browsing through this list I decided I want this guy on our staff next year:

Young up and comer. Named top recruiter in AAC and top 30 in the country by 247. Texas ties. Coached a guy to a freshman all-American. Sonny Dykes could very well be on the move from SMU this season, time to swoop in and show him that B1G $$$$$$

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
After browsing through this list I decided I want this guy on our staff next year:

Young up and comer. Named top recruiter in AAC and top 30 in the country by 247. Texas ties. Coached a guy to a freshman all-American. Sonny Dykes could very well be on the move from SMU this season, time to swoop in and show him that B1G $$$$$$
If this is what happens, it would be nice to see them make hires to expand recruiting connections. I'm not saying it would happen or he would be available, but you look at a guy like Mickey Joseph as a WR/Co-Oc who has deep ties in NOLA or, and it definitely wouldn't happen because he coaches defense but a guy like Aazar Abdul-Rahim at BC with ties to the DMV

Fargo Husker

Quarterback
Elite Member
If this is what happens, it would be nice to see them make hires to expand recruiting connections. I'm not saying it would happen or he would be available, but you look at a guy like Mickey Joseph as a WR/Co-Oc who has deep ties in NOLA or, and it definitely wouldn't happen because he coaches defense but a guy like Aazar Abdul-Rahim at BC with ties to the DMV
I forgot about Mickey Joseph, he’s an intriguing name given his experience, NU ties, and the fact that LSU is going through a coaching change. He’s making $500k and we could easily match that.

I don’t mind Lubick. He’s been okay. Personally, though, for the overall set-up of a coaching staff I like having your OC also be your QB coach. Frost could keep it in the Oregon family and bring in a guy like Mark Helfrich as OC/QB coach. Bring in Joseph as WR coach, Samples at RB coach, and a new OL coach. Where it gets tricky is ST coordinator. I’d like to bring in a true, experienced ST guy, but I wouldn’t want to mess with the defensive side of the ball at nor would I want to jettison Beckton.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
I forgot about Mickey Joseph, he’s an intriguing name given his experience, NU ties, and the fact that LSU is going through a coaching change. He’s making $500k and we could easily match that.

I don’t mind Lubick. He’s been okay. Personally, though, for the overall set-up of a coaching staff I like having your OC also be your QB coach. Frost could keep it in the Oregon family and bring in a guy like Mark Helfrich as OC/QB coach. Bring in Joseph as WR coach, Samples at RB coach, and a new OL coach. Where it gets tricky is ST coordinator. I’d like to bring in a true, experienced ST guy, but I wouldn’t want to mess with the defensive side of the ball at nor would I want to jettison Beckton.

Ideally, you could find a coach who does an offensive position and special teams. I think you could be creative though and find ways to hire a dedicated special teams guy if Frost takes QB

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev 👻
Elite Member
Lubick has been garbage just like he was everywhere else he's been.

If Frost gets another year and shuffles the assistants, he would be wise to not hire anyone he is friends with or has worked together closely with (Helfrich). He needs to get out of his comfort zone and can't afford to hire more buddies to hunt or drink with.

Red Finger

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
I would be very interested to know what Chadwell would say to OC/Associate Head Coach at something like $1.4 million a year.

The rationale is as follows:
1. He makes $800k
2. Coastal likely will never be able to get up much higher unless Moglia just writes the checks to do it.
3. The past Sun Belt to P5 head coaches are.guys who had previous major conference assistant coaching experience, e.g. Malzahn OC at Drinkwitz at NCSU. Chadwell has never coached in a major conference, recruited in a major conference, and I'd guess the attractiveness of him as a HC in one is limited by this.
4. He philosophically fits what Frost is trying to implement
Problem with that is SF calls the plays. He's always been the guy calling plays. Lubick has been asked about it several times. He always gives a answer like: I'm providing input, ultimately that's Scott's call, etc etc etc.

Lubick knows what Scott wants to do and can aid what SF wants to do. That's why he was hired from a credit union FFS. I have a pretty tough time believing SF would ever actually turn over the play calling duties.....or even bring someone in that would challenge him. Buuuuut maybe 4 straight losing seasons would change your mind. It get's you fired most places but whateves.

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
IF Frost is retained he has to completely overhaul the offensive staff. Maybe keep Beckton for recruiting purposes. But Austin, Lubick , Verduzco and Held can be gone.

Bring in a new OC that can handle that side of the ball on his own. Hire 3 offensive assistants and an STC.

The defensive side you are basically going too have to beg those guys to stay lol

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev 👻
Elite Member
IF Frost is retained he has to completely overhaul the offensive staff. Maybe keep Beckton for recruiting purposes. But Austin, Lubick , Verduzco and Held can be gone.

Bring in a new OC that can handle that side of the ball on his own. Hire 3 offensive assistants and an STC.

The defensive side you are basically going too have to beg those guys to stay lol
It would be wise to try to upgrade on the defensive side as well. Ruud and Dawson are both meh recruiters and are a big part of why we don't have a FBS-worthy pass rush.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
Problem with that is SF calls the plays. He's always been the guy calling plays. Lubick has been asked about it several times. He always gives a answer like: I'm providing input, ultimately that's Scott's call, etc etc etc.

Lubick knows what Scott wants to do and can aid what SF wants to do. That's why he was hired from a credit union FFS. I have a pretty tough time believing SF would ever actually turn over the play calling duties.....or even bring someone in that would challenge him. Buuuuut maybe 4 straight losing seasons would change your mind. It get's you fired most places but whateves.
The entire changing assistants premise is premised on the idea that 1. Frost isn't going to do what he's done in the past and give an impassioned speech about how it's the cowards way out to make changes and he's going to double down on failure, and 2. that he can adapt to working with people he hasn't worked with on offense and is willing to give some things up to improve the team, e.g. giving up play calling to entice a high quality OC.

Whether either will/could happen in reality is anyone's guess

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
It’s seems like they can coach on the field. Their groups have got better.
Definitely. I think the question that needs to be asked about the D in the offseason if Frost stays is how do you "level up" Chin from good/very good to great

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds