Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

What 4 teams get in? (3 Viewers)

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Georgia’s resume really is pretty poor. Only big wins they have were Ole Miss and Mizzou. Other than that, pretty simple schedule this year.

But I don’t see them keeping the 2 time defending champ out of a 4 team playoff when you’re talking a shitty-ACC undefeated representative and a host of 1 loss teams.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
Just have a feeling that they'll do something dumb like snubbing FSU or picking Georgia still over Alabama or Texas
Why not Oregon in the 4 spot? If the committee is willing to say Bama's loss to Texas doesn't really matter then why would Oregon's 2 3 point losses to the 2 seed (at worst) matter. We know Oregon isn't the 2nd best team in America but why couldn't they plausibly be 4th?

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member

I’ll never understand why they don’t put more definition around it. Unless they do, playoff expansion makes the conundrum a hell of a lot larger.

This year is rare that about 7 teams can legitimately claim they are a top 4 squad, usually it’s more like 5.

But 22 teams could legitimately argue they are top 12. Feasibly the whole top 25+ could make a case if they don’t have strong and concise definition of representation, it’s just going to make for a bigger mess.

Last edited:

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
Can't wait to see UGA, BAMA, LSU, Ole Miss, Missouri, Texas, OU, and the next best SEC team in because of the "eye test"
It will be similar for the BIG with OSU, Michigan, and a couple of those west schools. Two conferences will run college football.

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Look at the positive side next year you won’t have to worry about the Michigan-OSU game or these championship games because there will be a 12 team playoff.
Can’t wait for the diminishing value of games we’ve grown up knowing as “must watch”

Coworker the other day was saying, what’s going to keep kids from opting out of conference championship games when it doesn’t matter anymore. Or THE GAME - kids sit this week because they will match up the next week in the conference championship?

I hate that it’s even a thought.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
It will be similar for the BIG with OSU, Michigan, and a couple of those west schools. Two conferences will run college football.
I used to be all about college football but I'm like 80/20 NFL to college watching now and I imagine that it'll only get close to 99/Nebraska in the coming years.

Mavsker

Big Ten referee
tPB OG
Why not Oregon in the 4 spot? If the committee is willing to say Bama's loss to Texas doesn't really matter then why would Oregon's 2 3 point losses to the 2 seed (at worst) matter. We know Oregon isn't the 2nd best team in America but why couldn't they plausibly be 4th?
Oregon isn't in the SEC

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
Can’t wait for the diminishing value of games we’ve grown up knowing as “must watch”

Coworker the other day was saying, what’s going to keep kids from opting out of conference championship games when it doesn’t matter anymore. Or THE GAME - kids sit this week because they will match up the next week in the conference championship?

I hate that it’s even a thought.
The best regular season of any sport is going to get ruined but on the other side it’s going to have one of the most fun post seasons now.

Husker_in_OK

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Texas probably wouldn't even be in the conversation if Alabama didn't beat Georgia. I can see the committee following the logic if they want to put Alabama in, then they have to put the team in ( Texas ) that beat Alabama and was even 1 spot ahead of them in CFP rankings.

If Georgia wins today, the rankings are probably UGA, Michigan, Washington and FSU ..

I also think it's pretty fucked up if you drop UGA completely out of the playoffs when they've been #1 the entire time and only lose by 3 to Bama, but as others have said, their strength of schedule really isn't that good .. but I think it IS better than Florida State's

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
Texas probably wouldn't even be in the conversation if Alabama didn't beat Georgia. I can see the committee following the logic if they want to put Alabama in, then they have to put the team in ( Texas ) that beat Alabama and was even 1 spot ahead of them in CFP rankings.

If Georgia wins today, the rankings are probably UGA, Michigan, Washington and FSU ..

I also think it's pretty fucked up that you drop UGA completely out of the playoffs when they've been #1 the entire time, but as others have said, their strength of schedule really isn't that good .. but it IS better than Florida State's
I always come down to losing and head to head are the only measures of quality we have in this sport that aren't subjective. Talk strength of schedule, eye test, style points or whatever all you want but losing matters. Beating a team matters. Sure we can make excuses for a given game and we've seen big reversals in rematches, but a loss isn't a debate. And we aren't taking G5 teams, were talking leaving out an undefeated ACC champ

CornFed Gregger

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
They might leave FSU out cuz ppl will understand the 3rd string QB situation. It is like Cockeye basically & they’ll match em with Georgia or Oregon & squash em.

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
The best regular season of any sport is going to get ruined but on the other side it’s going to have one of the most fun post seasons now.
I think it was Leach, in his wonderful “let’s have a playoff” rant, that basically argued our way forward is to go backward. Expand to 64 if you’re going to do a playoff. Do an 8 game in-conference only regular season, and your non conference starts in week 9 with the tourney. Would make both regular season and post season matter.

The question is always “how do we get guaranteed number of games” Let the losing schools schedule non-cons as they exit to keep a guaranteed number of games for budgets, etc.

Imagine if once knocked out this weekend, we got Georgia/Oregon next week as bonus ball. Or Ohio St/Texas. Or Nebraska/San Jose St. fucking timeless matchups.

Mavsker

Big Ten referee
tPB OG
I also think it's pretty fucked up if you drop UGA completely out of the playoffs when they've been #1 the entire time and only lose by 3 to Bama, but as others have said, their strength of schedule really isn't that good .. but I think it IS better than Florida State's
A #1 can maybe lose to a #2/#3 and still sneak in at #4, but can't lose to #8 in the last week of the season and still expect to stay a top 4 team, especially when there are 3 undefeated P5 conference champs IMO

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds