Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Waterboy Luke Nugget (2 Viewers)

kenyanfeline

Pussy Patrol
Insider
Elite Member
Waterboy is somewhat friends with a freshman walk-on WR.

Anyways, he asked him about LM and the vibe he got is that it is looking like LM seems to be on-board with the following situation:

1. Spend spring mostly focusing on QB but also a little bit on WR/RB.
2. At the conclusion of spring ball, Frost has agreed to give Luke and Ed/Lisa an honest assessment of where he stands in the QB room.
3. If the conclusion is that he is not a pure QB or that Smothers has surpassed him, it seems Luke is at least as of right now somewhat on board with moving positions or playing a “Swiss Army Knife” roll. ie. having a Taysom Hill package or two at QB, playing WR or Duck-R, and being our 3rd string emergency QB.

This is just based on rumors going around the team and who knows how accurate it is once it trickles down to walk-ons. FWIW, the kid who told Waterboy this was surprised by Wan’Dale leaving, so it’s likely it is speculative, but that’s the rumor going around right now. That being said, it seems that the departure of Wan’Dale actually might have played a role in this, as it gives Luke a clear path to having a major role and a shot at the NFL outside of the QB position.

It does check out with your original Nug that Ed met with Frost to discuss Luke’s future.

Edit for clarity purposes: this is what trickled down the grapevine to a freshman walk-on receiver, so like a game of telephone, take it for what it’s worth, and don’t shoot the messenger when Luke ends of deciding to transfer to Northern Colorado to play QB 😂

Last edited:

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
I think Ed basically told Luke you need to listen to Frost. Yes, it is your dream to be a QB, but you are a P5 athlete and can be something special at WR, R, wildcat QB, etc...

I really like the idea of
X Toure/Manning
Z Betts Martin
Y Fidone/Allen
R Luke - Nixon - Brown

RB whoever stepps up

kenyanfeline

Pussy Patrol
Insider
Elite Member
Does Waterboy have an opinion on Smothers? (I may have missed it)
I went into this in a lot of detail during the last Erect Platinum Press before the Rutgers game if you want to go back.

In his uneducated opinion, there was not a massive amount of separation between the 3 this year. That would lead me to believe that Smothers, if he develops, has a chance to be pretty good.

It’s worth noting that Smothers got little live action this season because he was stuck in no-mans land between the starters and the scout team, so it’s hard to get a good grasp on it unless you understand the in’s and out’s of QB mechanics and footwork, which Waterboy does not.

BBTown Bomber

In Memoriam 1952-2023
tPB OG
Waterboy is somewhat friends with a freshman walk-on WR.

Anyways, he asked him about LM and the vibe he got is that it is looking like LM seems to be on-board with the following situation:

1. Spend spring mostly focusing on QB but also a little bit on WR/RB.
2. At the conclusion of spring ball, Frost has agreed to give Luke and Ed/Lisa an honest assessment of where he stands in the QB room.
3. If the conclusion is that he is not a pure QB or that Smothers has surpassed him, it seems Luke is at least as of right now somewhat on board with moving positions or playing a “Swiss Army Knife” roll. ie. having a Taysom Hill package or two at QB, playing WR or Duck-R, and being our 3rd string emergency QB.

This is just based on rumors going around the team and who knows how accurate it is once it trickles down to walk-ons. FWIW, the kid who told Waterboy this was surprised by Wan’Dale leaving, so it’s likely it is speculative, but that’s the rumor going around right now. That being said, it seems that the departure of Wan’Dale actually might have played a role in this, as it gives Luke a clear path to having a major role and a shot at the NFL outside of the QB position.

It does check out with your original Nug that Ed met with Frost to discuss Luke’s future.

Edit for clarity purposes: this is what trickled down the grapevine to a freshman walk-on receiver, so like a game of telephone, take it for what it’s worth, and don’t shoot the messenger when Luke ends of deciding to transfer to Northern Colorado to play QB 😂
Sure as shit hope he mans up and keeps his same work ethic during this tough time. Could have a crazy good happy ending..... then again, I’m the glass half-full, eternal optimist.

Toe

Wide Receiver
I don't think there's room for too many Taysom Hills in the NFL, if that's his goal...

Toe

Wide Receiver
@kenyanfeline If he thinks (or will think a few months from now) that his NFL future is at WR, why would he 'double major' in college? Playing QB for us would be a waste of time and development for him.

Braxton Miller's last year at Ohio State might be a good comparison for the path he could follow. Miller was used as an H-back, I guess duck-r is the closest equivalent in Frost's system? Luke would have the advantage of having more time to develop as an actual WR, though. Remember that in terms of eligibility next year, he'll still just be a redshirt freshman.

Last edited:

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds