Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Twitter/X Official "Let's all laugh at Deion/Colorado thread"

Oh my wife has thought of that one. I think that's a crazy thought however.
Reminds me of the favorite game of husker rumor telephone that I've been apart of:

I had an electrician tell me that he heard from his buddy that's a barber for a guy "high up" in the Athletic department that they were certain Scott Frost was throwing games. This was at 8:00am on a Tuesday.

Reminds me of the favorite game of husker rumor telephone that I've been apart of:

I had an electrician tell me that he heard from his buddy that's a barber for a guy "high up" in the Athletic department that they were certain Scott Frost was throwing games. This was at 8:00am on a Tuesday.
Would explain the onside kick in Dublin…

The only question of have is, can a HC actually throw games? I'll give you the Dublin inside kick.

Now a QB...he can ABSOLUTELY throw games. And if you wanted to see an example you could show your classroom the Jeff Sims/CU game.

I don't know that a HC in football (where there's 8 position coaches in charge of their player units) could actually throw a game without it being super obvious to the other coaches.

Good video comparing Rhule vs #2ndChoice. I was wondering when we'd start seeing these. He says that Rhule is ahead bc he's been able to create an identity at NU. He says #2ndChoice might take another full year to get to 8 wins in Madison. He says Longo may not work out and #2ndChoice may have to let him go this offseason if he doesn't.

FTR I still think it's too early to make a definitive call. Sure looks like Rhule's gonna win this head-to-head though.

Min 37:00

Good video comparing Rhule vs #2ndChoice. I was wondering when we'd start seeing these. He says that Rhule is ahead bc he's been able to create an identity at NU. He says #2ndChoice might take another full year to get to 8 wins in Madison. He says Longo may not work out and #2ndChoice may have to let him go this offseason if he doesn't.

FTR I still think it's too early to make a definitive call. Sure looks like Rhule's gonna win this head-to-head though.

Min 37:00

His take on Tony White being the difference maker is spot on.

Tangential thought, can't believe I'm going to talk about social media impacts on a program but... one underestimated thing we're doing really well is our media team/Rhule selling us by pushing out a lot of content; the YouTube segments the locker room speeches, all that. Plus all of the media work he's been doing. We've got a coach with charisma factor. We recognize that and are using it. On a slow news day his "kegs, eggs, and football" quote is the top thread on the CFB subreddit. We've been the butt of every easy joke there for the past five years and now other fans are noting how awesome and likeable he is. Random comments from other fans saying "I'm a Nebraska fan now."

For all intents and purposes our brand was dead two years ago. Last year the YouTube segments just seemed like fan service, now if there's some sustained success we'll probably see these little locker room speech clips frequently gain so much more traction and connect with people/sell the brand without any extra recruiting effort from coaches. It's the little things, snowball effect, yadda yadda yadda.

Compared to Wisconsin, I have zero idea what Fick has been up to since he got hired outside of game results. Interesting selling point to recruits families knowing they can watch behind the scenes stuff regularly from anywhere in the country on a regular basis, and know their kid is having a good experience. Of course we still need to be winners for this to be impactful.

Tangential thought, can't believe I'm going to talk about social media impacts on a program but...
It's a real thing though. I noticed it early in two spots: 1, was the intro/unveiling press conferences and 2, was an early behind the scenes facility YT video #2ndChoice did in his first week there.

1 - The intro pressers were like a Michael Bay movie (NU/Rhule) compared to a PBS fireside chat (#2ndChoice). UW had less time to get theirs together though and they had to announce quickly for recruiting purposes.

2 - Wisconsin threw out a video of #2ndChoice giving a tour of the UW football offices about a week after he was hired.. It was not interesting, not funny and I remember thinking "this guy is super boring." I also thought, "Wisconsin is not good at this."

Now this stuff matters but it does matter more or less depending on your program. I do believe if you're a university like Miami, USC, Texas, Notre Dame (and some others)....you can have a dude w no charisma there bc the location does a lot of the selling.

I do think at Nebraska you need a guy w charisma to sell the place. I know a lot of people don't agree with that but I believe it's true. Unless you're Osborne and you've been winning 85% of your games for 20 yrs. But this is a different era - the YT/X/Instagram stuff matters. And not just to recruits. Brand strength is the key measure for a CFB program's worth now. Matt Rhule gets all this to an unbelievable level. We're incredibly lucky this guy chose us - perfect place at the perfect time in CFB history.

It's a real thing though. I noticed it early in two spots: 1, was the intro/unveiling press conferences and 2, was an early behind the scenes facility YT video #2ndChoice did in his first week there.

1 - The intro pressers were like a Michael Bay movie (NU/Rhule) compared to a PBS fireside chat (#2ndChoice). UW had less time to get theirs together though and they had to announce quickly for recruiting purposes.

2 - Wisconsin threw out a video of #2ndChoice giving a tour of the UW football offices about a week after he was hired.. It was not interesting, not funny and I remember thinking "this guy is super boring." I also thought, "Wisconsin is not good at this."

Now this stuff matters but it does matter more or less depending on your program. I do believe if you're a university like Miami, USC, Texas, Notre Dame (and some others)....you can have a dude w no charisma there bc the location does a lot of the selling.

I do think at Nebraska you need a guy w charisma to sell the place. I know a lot of people don't agree with that but I believe it's true. Unless you're Osborne and you've been winning 85% of your games for 20 yrs. But this is a different era - the YT/X/Instagram stuff matters. And not just to recruits. Brand strength is the key measure for a CFB program's worth now. Matt Rhule gets all this to an unbelievable level. We're incredibly lucky this guy chose us - perfect place at the perfect time in CFB history.
Didn't think about it in the context of program worth/conference expansion but you're spot on. We absolutely need to be doing this stuff to stay in the big leagues.

Didn't think about it in the context of program worth/conference expansion but you're spot on. We absolutely need to be doing this stuff to stay in the big leagues.
One funny thing to prove this point: if you'll recall the biggest slam that Cockeye fans used to throw at us is "Nebraska football is irrelevant/no one knows you exist/no one talks about you."

Oddly enough, they NEVER say this line anymore! The reason is they actually know that our brand is bigger/more valuable than theirs and that's a huge thing in CFB right now.

That scenario would be tough to play out.

In order to be 3rd we'd have to be 10-2. In order to jump USC we'd have to have beat them. So losses to Ohio St and ?.

USC to be in the championship but only 1 loss and that loss has to be to us. So they are 11-1 with loss to us.

Then Ohio St has zero or 1 loss and then beat USC in the championship game.

That is literally the only scenario that it would work. Possible. Unlikely. I don't see us losing to anyone but Ohio St and/or USC.
I don’t think they will look at a loss to usc as an elimination for Nebraska if we’re 10-2. 10-2 would have us ranked in the top 12 last year so the main factor would be what is Penn State & Oregon’s records at this point? It would probably be better for us if penn state got into the CFP & got KO’d then the committee opts for us over penn state.

His take on Tony White being the difference maker is spot on.

Tangential thought, can't believe I'm going to talk about social media impacts on a program but... one underestimated thing we're doing really well is our media team/Rhule selling us by pushing out a lot of content; the YouTube segments the locker room speeches, all that. Plus all of the media work he's been doing. We've got a coach with charisma factor. We recognize that and are using it. On a slow news day his "kegs, eggs, and football" quote is the top thread on the CFB subreddit. We've been the butt of every easy joke there for the past five years and now other fans are noting how awesome and likeable he is. Random comments from other fans saying "I'm a Nebraska fan now."

For all intents and purposes our brand was dead two years ago. Last year the YouTube segments just seemed like fan service, now if there's some sustained success we'll probably see these little locker room speech clips frequently gain so much more traction and connect with people/sell the brand without any extra recruiting effort from coaches. It's the little things, snowball effect, yadda yadda yadda.

Compared to Wisconsin, I have zero idea what Fick has been up to since he got hired outside of game results. Interesting selling point to recruits families knowing they can watch behind the scenes stuff regularly from anywhere in the country on a regular basis, and know their kid is having a good experience. Of course we still need to be winners for this to be impactful.
Case in point: A buddy of mine at work is strictly an NFL fan. His family has had Jets season tickets forever. He texted me in the middle of the game Saturday night to let me know he's now a Nebraska fan because he loves Rhule. His primary exposure to our program prior to the game was Rhule's interviews on the McAfee show.

That scenario would be tough to play out.

In order to be 3rd we'd have to be 10-2. In order to jump USC we'd have to have beat them. So losses to Ohio St and ?.

USC to be in the championship but only 1 loss and that loss has to be to us. So they are 11-1 with loss to us.

Then Ohio St has zero or 1 loss and then beat USC in the championship game.

That is literally the only scenario that it would work. Possible. Unlikely. I don't see us losing to anyone but Ohio St and/or USC.
Couldn't we both have two losses and they win the tiebreaker with a win over us?

This guy thinks Nebraska could challenge for the Big Ten title. Also thinks it's a very weak Big Ten this year.

I actually hate talk like this. We've won two games against two not great teams.

Yes we won in convincing fashion, but this feels a little premature.

Crazy enough, Illinois might be ranked when we play them. I never would have thought that.

Rutgers is not going to be cake walk.

There is just plenty of places we could trip up.

I'm still setting the bar at getting to 8 wins, 7 still is progress.

I actually hate talk like this. We've won two games against two not great teams.

Crazy enough, Illinois might be ranked when we play them. I never would have thought that.

I enjoy it...but I do disagree with it.

I believe Dylan and Satterfield and our WRs will have some hiccups in the B1G. It's very ordinary and common, nothing to freak out about. We'll just lose at least one in ugly fashion. 8-4 I'll take. I'm really hoping the team can find a way to 9-3.

But I'm fully expecting to drop one of these Illinois - Purdoodoo - Indiana - Rutgers. I'm hoping we don't lose 2.

The 2nd half vs CU showed me we can look out of sync, ugly, busted plays etc. Got a lot of new faces to get on the same page. 7-0 is not a possibility in my mind. But we are still back even at 8-4 (w at least one v bad loss).

Shit even Indiana is looking like they can pose a threat

I don’t think they will look at a loss to usc as an elimination for Nebraska if we’re 10-2. 10-2 would have us ranked in the top 12 last year so the main factor would be what is Penn State & Oregon’s records at this point? It would probably be better for us if penn state got into the CFP & got KO’d then the committee opts for us over penn state.
Meaning if USC and Ohio St are in the championship game and we lost to both. We're not jumping the loser.

But yeah different if it's Penn St or Oregon.

Shit even Indiana is looking like they can pose a threat
Indiana talk is premature. I know they won 77-3, but Western Illinois was 0-11 last season and lost 7 games by 6+ touchdowns.

Maybe they are better but idk if we really have any good data points currently. W Illinois went -11 last year and FIU went 4-8 (1-7 in CUSA)

UCLA game should tell us more.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back