Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Breaking Turd Alberts to Texas A&M (2 Viewers)

Steveweiser316

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
TL,DR: I feel like I am 100% in the minority here where I don't really care that Turd left. He has not helped his cause in any way by his actions or his words, but the decision to leave doesn't really have me feeling any negativity towards him. He has left the AD in a better place than he found it, which is more than we can say about pretty much 4 of the last 5 ADs (TO at least left it the same if not better). Nebraska will be a pretty attractive job for many candidates because of the current state of the AD and the money we are willing to spend.

It is easy to see that the AD is in a better place since when he took over, which is really all we can ask of whoever the AD is at Nebraska. Turd threaded the needle with Frost to appease certain people before letting Frost hang himself, and then brought in a well respected coach who we all seem to be excited about. He threaded the same needle with Hoiberg, and that situation allowed Fred to grow and turn his program around. Baseball is trending up, volleyball is still great, women's basketball is doing well, softball has one of the top talents on their roster, and other sports are also seemingly doing well. He launched the ambitious plan of renovating Memorial, which is long overdue, and he has listened to the fans by adding seating to Bowlin Stadium, working towards adding beer sales, and generally uniting the AD (Rhule deserves more credit than Turd here, but the point still stands).

When Turd first took over, the AD was a complete disaster outside of basically the volleyball program. Some others were showing life, but the main money makers, football and men's basketball, were complete shit. That doesn't seem to be the case today.

As far as him taking a seemingly lateral move for the same money and a smaller contract, that seems to show he was really not happy with different things going on behind the scenes (again his previous words about being so happy here, yada yada yada, do not help him in any way). Whether those issues are political, lack of University President, disagreement with the potential University President, the lawsuit, funding issues, whatever, it obviously seemed to be a major deal breaker in him staying here and his potential ambitions for the rest of his career.

The political issues seem to be the reason gaining the most steam as the reason he is leaving, and it is something that is a major issue in this state. The top leaders in this state are obviously right-leaning, and while that is good for this state in many ways, it definitely seems to have negative consequences towards the University. Decreasing funding for the school created issues that seemed to at least contribute to the previous Chancellor and President leaving. It also seems like that may have some consequences on getting new highly qualified candidates as replacements. While not directly related to the AD, it does have other consequences. Turd was also fighting for private funding for the stadium, as well as trying to get fans to help fund NIL. Getting that funding, while the University is also looking for funding, seems to has caused some type of issues. Whether that be donors not wanting to help in this current climate or determining where the best place to place their donations (stadium vs. NIL vs. something else), it appears to be causing some turmoil within the entire University.

Compare all this to TAMU, and they don't seem to be having the same issues. UNL is currently trimming their budget by $12 million. On the other hand, last year, TAMU received a record (for them) $1.19 billion for their budget, including raises for some of their employees for the next 2 years. They also have completed their stadium renovation, and their football coach is new so Turd wouldn't have to worry about that in the immediate future. If Turd's ultimate goal is to continue moving up towards conference commissioner of CFP chairman, moving to A&M is a smart move, even if it is currently a lateral move as an AD and it feels traitorous as a Nebraska alum.
The money that A&M has is why I’m not surprised he left. With all that money at his disposal he can create whatever his dreams are. A lot of people are butt hurt but he will have the resources at A&M that he would have never had access to an UNL.

cwessel76

Run The Damn Ball
Elite Member
tPB OG
I also don’t think it should be at the top of an athletic directors list of priorities regardless of stance.
I agree but I don’t think that’s explicitly what Turd was quoted as saying at or near the top.

Lumping it in with getting rid of “woke” programs like women and gender studies would be a concern of mine if I was in his shoes.

Would it be enough to leave if I were in Turd’s shoes? Hard to say, not knowing all the facts.

The bottom line is that Pillen and the BoR over the past 10 years has fucked up so badly and they are all trying to blame everyone else for the mess they created.

The more that I think about it the more I don’t blame him for wanting to leave the ineptitude of the Nebraska University system overall. Ineptitude is bipartisan.

jaihawk

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
I don’t think DEI needs to be a political issue and don’t necessarily see it failing in a state like NE.

Curious as to why you say this. Like most things, people identify something that is wrong (i.e. discrimination in hiring, etc...) and instead of taking time to truly evaluate and make intelligent change, they swing the pendulum to the complete other side, rather than finding a way to get to somewhere in the middle.

As the father of bi-racial children, married to a minority, it is always interesting to see how differently my children are treated in regards to DEI, as two of them look like they're mixed and the third is often assumed as being white.

Mavsker

Big Ten referee
tPB OG
I don’t think DEI needs to be a political issue and don’t necessarily see it failing in a state like NE.
I didn't mean to imply it would fail in NE (at least no more than it fails anywhere else)

Regarding it not needing to be a political issue - most liberals would like it not to be a political issue, because that means it continues on unchallenged. However, if you believe in merit only when considering hiring/career advancements/etc, you can't logically support DEI. Because any other consideration besides merit necessarily decreases the value placed on merit.

Steveweiser316

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Several people familiar with the university’s current presidential search have said Pillen has been very specific about what he wants in the next NU president. Three declined to speak on the record for fear of retribution but said they were told he wants someone with Nebraska ties, someone willing to stay in the job for 10 years and someone who won’t advocate for the diversity, equity and inclusion efforts that Pillen campaigned against in 2022.

Pillen initially denied having made any requests of the regents. He also denied trying to influence their presidential choice. After the Examiner followed up and shared what it had been told, the governor acknowledged having made his wish list clear.

“Yeah, maybe I can clarify that … I’ve been very, very public,” he said. “We need a great Nebraskan to be the leader of our university system. We don’t need a shiny star. We need somebody that understands Nebraska, understands the people of Nebraska and understands that the taxpayers are our boss.”

He also confirmed the push for someone who would stay 10 years, saying, “To really make things happen, having a 10-year expectation is reality.”

“If you try to hire somebody for two years, you’re spinning your wheels,” Pillen said.

Of the third push, he said he also told people that he wanted someone who “understands what our Nebraska values are and what Nebraskans expect.”

Whatever Tr*v's personal politics are, or how the chain of command for these kinds of hires is supposed to work, it seems pretty clear that Pillen's extremely stringent "wish list" is a big obstacle in this process and he's trying to put all the blame on his former buddies in the BOR. A Nebraskan who is qualified to be the president of a gigantic public academic institution, is willing to make a 10 year commitment, is against diversity initiatives, and presumably wants to keep slashing the education budget... I'm not an expert in the upper echelon academic world at all, but is Pillen trying to force them to find a unicorn?
Potentially. Also sounds like Turd isn’t a fan of Pillen’s meddling. Why does it need to be someone with Nebraska ties? That’s why we’re in the shitty situation we’re in. I’d imagine Turd wants someone that is a star - someone that is a catalyst for change and thinking outside the box.

cwessel76

Run The Damn Ball
Elite Member
tPB OG
Curious as to why you say this. Like most things, people identify something that is wrong (i.e. discrimination in hiring, etc...) and instead of taking time to truly evaluate and make intelligent change, they swing the pendulum to the complete other side, rather than finding a way to get to somewhere in the middle.

As the father of bi-racial children, married to a minority, it is always interesting to see how differently my children are treated in regards to DEI, as two of them look like they're mixed and the third is often assumed as being white.

I didn't mean to imply it would fail in NE (at least no more than it fails anywhere else)

Regarding it not needing to be a political issue - most liberals would like it not to be a political issue, because that means it continues on unchallenged. However, if you believe in merit only when considering hiring/career advancements/etc, you can't logically support DEI. Because any other consideration besides merit necessarily decreases the value placed on merit.
As somebody who has a fair amount of exposure to corporate DEI programs I feel that the following statement rings true:

“Talent is universal, opportunity is not.”

I, in my heart of hearts, believe this to be true from the poor white kid in rural Nebraska to the poor black kid living in The Bronx. Can DEI programs go overboard? Sure. Does DEI need to be eradicated from the face of the earth? No.

Again, veering back to Turd, I don’t think it was the primary reason why he left but the stupid infighting over hot-button issues like DEI probably contributed in some way.

cwessel76

Run The Damn Ball
Elite Member
tPB OG
Potentially. Also sounds like Turd isn’t a fan of Pillen’s meddling. Why does it need to be someone with Nebraska ties? That’s why we’re in the shitty situation we’re in. I’d imagine Turd wants someone that is a star - someone that is a catalyst for change and thinking outside the box.
200.gif

Mavsker

Big Ten referee
tPB OG

This bill that was introduced at the request of the governor at the beginning of the year would essentially prohibit what Turd wanted to do with in house NIL.

(5) No third-party entity or individual shall be prohibited from:
LB1393
1 (a) Communicating with a student-athlete to create, identify,
2 facilitate, enable, or support name, image, or likeness activities;
3 (b) Compensating a student-athlete for the use of such student4 athlete's name, image, or likeness rights or athletic reputation; or
5 (c) Compensating student-athletes for promoting:
6 (i) An athletics event in which the student-athlete may participate,
7 if the third-party entity or individual has an agreement to promote the
athletics event; or8
9 (ii) The postsecondary institution which the student-athlete
attends.

A postsecondary institution shall not compensate a student athlete for the use of the student-athlete's name, image, or likeness
rights or athletic reputation

That's interesting.
I think this is a bad way to read the bill. It expands the rights of third parties operating in NIL, and then expands the university/AD's right to work with those third parties. It also prevents athletes from being considered employees of the university and reduces the university's liability for damages from reduced player NIL compensation. I would guess this was probably done at the request of the university/AD.

AFAIK Nebraska never wanted 100% of NIL activities in-house. They wanted to maximize resources and collaboration with the university.

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
I think this is a bad way to read the bill. It expands the rights of third parties operating in NIL, and then expands the university/AD's right to work with those third parties. It also prevents athletes from being considered employees of the university and reduces the university's liability for damages from reduced player NIL compensation. I would guess this was probably done at the request of the university/AD.

AFAIK Nebraska never wanted 100% of NIL activities in-house. They wanted to maximize resources and collaboration with the university.
This bill at first glance is a player's-rights advocates wet dream. Less than 10 years ago this bill would be seen as highly progressive. Now it's a nefarious MAGA plot lmfao

dom91932

Cornerback
Elite Member
Yet the current BoR couldn’t manage a hotdog stand

The money that A&M has is why I’m not surprised he left. With all that money at his disposal he can create whatever his dreams are. A lot of people are butt hurt but he will have the resources at A&M that he would have never had access to an UNL.
I think these are a lot of it. Turd certainly knows the political climate in Texas, and he certainly knows that meddling from boards of regents, donors and politicians is a given at every university and probably more so in his new spot.

For me, what’s different at A&M is that they function—stuff seems to get done there without a cage fight. Looking at Pillen’s three requirements for president, it’s not the best person for the job. Regardless of whether one agrees with the requirements, it is the best person for the job who meets the conditions. The earlier poster who mentioned that Pillen was looking for a unicorn was spot on.

For DONU to make sure we are inside when the next round of consolidation hits, whoever comes here in the leadership roles must be able to get things done. FOX/ESPN and all the rest don’t care about what happened in the 90s or the Nebraska way. All they care about is what you bring to the table now and in the future. The first step is that the place must function.

A&M need stadium renovations? Boom-they get $450 million together (https://www.texasmonthly.com/articl...ding-the-most-expensive-college-stadium-ever/) and get it done rather than begging, fighting and scratching to come up with $160 million here at the expense of other projects, NIL and academic and medical center donations. @ShortSideOption excellently laid it out at the end of last year: https://herbieshangout.com/2023/12/22/nebraska-and-the-collective/

They need NIL money? They snap their fingers and in comes $20-30 million for the incoming recruiting class. https://brobible.com/sports/article/texas-am-recruiting-class-nil-money/ Here we argue over whose beef jerky to buy. I’m sure as he was slithering out of here, Turd was thinking like Clarence Beeks: “no more goddamn jerky beef”.

One thing that struck me was Terry Petite’s tweet where he mentioned that Turd ended an interview about his signing the extension by saying “I am grateful and honored that at least one person wants me to stay.” At the time, I took it as “aw shucks” stuff, but over this week it certainly seems that there was much more to it than self-deprecation.

Throw in that Turd is a climber and has looked for other jobs while here, in hindsight it is now clear that he was a short timer and very well be at A&M. I gotta think that in each of those job hunts, the idea of him being able to do his job at a high level outside of NE came up.

Anyway, rant over. LFGBR!

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
I think these are a lot of it. Turd certainly knows the political climate in Texas, and he certainly knows that meddling from boards of regents, donors and politicians is a given at every university and probably more so in his new spot.

For me, what’s different at A&M is that they function—stuff seems to get done there without a cage fight. Looking at Pillen’s three requirements for president, it’s not the best person for the job. Regardless of whether one agrees with the requirements, it is the best person for the job who meets the conditions. The earlier poster who mentioned that Pillen was looking for a unicorn was spot on.

For DONU to make sure we are inside when the next round of consolidation hits, whoever comes here in the leadership roles must be able to get things done. FOX/ESPN and all the rest don’t care about what happened in the 90s or the Nebraska way. All they care about is what you bring to the table now and in the future. The first step is that the place must function.

A&M need stadium renovations? Boom-they get $450 million together (https://www.texasmonthly.com/articl...ding-the-most-expensive-college-stadium-ever/) and get it done rather than begging, fighting and scratching to come up with $160 million here at the expense of other projects, NIL and academic and medical center donations. @ShortSideOption excellently laid it out at the end of last year: https://herbieshangout.com/2023/12/22/nebraska-and-the-collective/

They need NIL money? They snap their fingers and in comes $20-30 million for the incoming recruiting class. https://brobible.com/sports/article/texas-am-recruiting-class-nil-money/ Here we argue over whose beef jerky to buy. I’m sure as he was slithering out of here, Turd was thinking like Clarence Beeks: “no more goddamn jerky beef”.

One thing that struck me was Terry Petite’s tweet where he mentioned that Turd ended an interview about his signing the extension by saying “I am grateful and honored that at least one person wants me to stay.” At the time, I took it as “aw shucks” stuff, but over this week it certainly seems that there was much more to it than self-deprecation.

Throw in that Turd is a climber and has looked for other jobs while here, in hindsight it is now clear that he was a short timer and very well be at A&M. I gotta think that in each of those job hunts, the idea of him being able to do his job at a high level outside of NE came up.

Anyway, rant over. LFGBR!

I think you're on the mark here. Texas may not be much different from Nebraska politically, the difference is the consolidation of power and who pulls the levers. The infighting doesn't exist because the people in positions of power are beholden to their boss. In Texas BoR case that is the governor who hand selects them.

If the vision is aligned from Governor/BoR/President/AD on down then there isn't a lot of headwind to combat as long as results are delivered. Add in the financial advantages and that's a pretty good situation for a high-performer.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds