Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Breaking Turd Alberts to Texas A&M (6 Viewers)

Juro

Sarcastic Ass
Elite Member
Bounty Hunter
I’m trying to apply to the position with my years of experience leading Nebraska to multiple NC’s in NCAA Football, but yeah, doesn’t look good.

Juro

Sarcastic Ass
Elite Member
Bounty Hunter
Pres or AD?
Season 6 Episode 3 GIF by Parks and Recreation

Irv

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Let's see...

- helped get a $165million facility for football - project was basically fully funded before he got to NU. He wasn't swinging the hammer.
- landed a $300M multimedia rights agreement• - sold our media rights to the highest bidder? Cool that qualifies him to be an eBay seller
- hired Matt Rhule - then left him out to dry
- facilitated 92,000+ fans at Memorial for a volleyball game - cool, but a one-time event
- agreed to the Bussin Bowl - who gives a shit
- squeezed in a 30 minute interview w/me before going to a banquet on a game weekend - who gives a shit
- allowed us to park our bus in the middle of the Union - who gives a shit
- has treated my entire team like they’re former players when we are on campus - basic human decency
- facilitated plans for $450M renovations for the stadium - project is barely off the ground and already behind schedule, gtfo
- averaged 4 football wins a season

Mavsker

Big Ten referee
tPB OG
Can DEI programs go overboard? Sure. Does DEI need to be eradicated from the face of the earth? No.
I don't even disagree with that necessarily. I want everyone to have equal opportunity. However stuff like this proves it to be a farce as commonly implemented today.

"The year after BLM protests, the S&P 100 added more than 300,000 jobs - 94% went to people of color."

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
I think you're on the mark here. Texas may not be much different from Nebraska politically, the difference is the consolidation of power and who pulls the levers. The infighting doesn't exist because the people in positions of power are beholden to their boss. In Texas BoR case that is the governor who hand selects them.

If the vision is aligned from Governor/BoR/President/AD on down then there isn't a lot of headwind to combat as long as results are delivered. Add in the financial advantages and that's a pretty good situation for a high-performer.
Yeah as a couple days go by and more bits and pieces trickle out I feel like the picture is starting to come together... I gather it's something like this:
  • Gov. Pillen was on the BOR before becoming governor. He and several others have been controversial over the years for their meddling in NU athletics
  • Pillen won governorship but the heated primary race caused a rift in conservative political land
  • Some on the BOR hold grudges for that reason, some disagree with his views on education
  • Our state's conservative government has slashed budgets and campaigned against diversity initiatives, which has allegedly contributed to University leaders leaving and not being able to attract candidates to replace them
  • Turd got a unique situation where his direct boss is the University president (Carter) rather than the chancellor
  • Ronnie Green (chancellor) left in July 2023, position has not been permanently filled
  • Carter left in August 2023, position has not been permanently filled
  • Pillen has said he wants the BOR to find a University president who is a Nebraskan, will pledge to stay for 10 years, and is against diversity measures. Right or wrong, this is a tough sell and a tough find within the academic world.
  • Certain factions of the BOR are in favor of that plan, certain factions are not, neither side will compromise
  • In my view, this stalemate left Turd extremely frustrated, complicated fundraising efforts, left the university rudderless, etc. Even though he was given approval for certain big moves, Turd was not able to move forward with them effectively because of the lack of organizational leadership around him.
  • We've also learned that Turd attempted to get the Big Ten Commissioner job and the College Football Playoff job, so he certainly wasn't quite as committed to NU as we were led to believe
  • For some weird reason Texas A&M came calling last week and he apparently said "whatever, I tried and I tried, this is too dysfunctional, I don't care about this place THAT much, I'm gonna shift gears and keep climbing the ladder." I doubt personal politics played as much of a role as just plain incompetence in running the organization.
  • Gov. Pillen and the BOR are now all pointing fingers at each other
So yeah I think it's a big clusterf*ck and I just pray that Rhule takes it as a sign that he is THE Man now rather than thinking he got punked into coming here.

jickey moseph

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
  • Pillen has said he wants the BOR to find a University president who is a Nebraskan, will pledge to stay for 10 years, and is against diversity measures. Right or wrong, this is a tough sell and a tough find within the academic world. Certain factions of the BOR are in favor of that plan, certain factions are not, neither side will compromise
Where is this tidbit coming from? Thanks.

2010sarenevercoming

5 Star Punter
Elite Member
This is fucking dumb on a level that has not yet been discovered.
It's not rocket surgery to run a university system. Big company CEO type of deal. Probably several thousand people in this state (or any other) that could do a reasonable job. Saying you're planning to stick around for a while & not push to create one specific new unpopular plan is hardly this catastrophic barrier to entry.

People are attributing way too much to this.

betsch

Safety
Buddy of mine who follows a different message board: (he’s never told me which one)

These are the two talking points on the message boards.

1. I don't think he wants to AD long term. Since he's been here, he's tried to get the B1G Commissioner job and the CFP director job. So if he takes a higher paying SEC job and he gets closer to Sanky (SEC
commissioner) he can set himself up better in his mind...more $$$ to rub elbows with the guy who is in the driver seat for running college football

OR

2. A failed UNL president search. Title IX issues with large looming WBB lawsuit coming. Failed in his backing of NIL (backed Big Red Collective but 1890 cried and took over). Severely under funded south stadium renovation (basically rebuild).
Good point on the Title IX investigation. Although he can't run from the lawsuit, having to deal with a Title IX investigation is a HUGE, HUGE headache. It still doesn't justify it, but it might be one more reason he'd go.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Yeah as a couple days go by and more bits and pieces trickle out I feel like the picture is starting to come together... I gather it's something like this:
  • Gov. Pillen was on the BOR before becoming governor. He and several others have been controversial over the years for their meddling in NU athletics
  • Pillen won governorship but the heated primary race caused a rift in conservative political land
  • Some on the BOR hold grudges for that reason, some disagree with his views on education
  • Our state's conservative government has slashed budgets and campaigned against diversity initiatives, which has allegedly contributed to University leaders leaving and not being able to attract candidates to replace them
  • Turd got a unique situation where his direct boss is the University president (Carter) rather than the chancellor
  • Ronnie Green (chancellor) left in July 2023, position has not been permanently filled
  • Carter left in August 2023, position has not been permanently filled
  • Pillen has said he wants the BOR to find a University president who is a Nebraskan, will pledge to stay for 10 years, and is against diversity measures. Right or wrong, this is a tough sell and a tough find within the academic world.
  • Certain factions of the BOR are in favor of that plan, certain factions are not, neither side will compromise
  • In my view, this stalemate left Turd extremely frustrated, complicated fundraising efforts, left the university rudderless, etc. Even though he was given approval for certain big moves, Turd was not able to move forward with them effectively because of the lack of organizational leadership around him.
  • We've also learned that Turd attempted to get the Big Ten Commissioner job and the College Football Playoff job, so he certainly wasn't quite as committed to NU as we were led to believe
  • For some weird reason Texas A&M came calling last week and he apparently said "whatever, I tried and I tried, this is too dysfunctional, I don't care about this place THAT much, I'm gonna shift gears and keep climbing the ladder." I doubt personal politics played as much of a role as just plain incompetence in running the organization.
  • Gov. Pillen and the BOR are now all pointing fingers at each other
So yeah I think it's a big clusterf*ck and I just pray that Rhule takes it as a sign that he is THE Man now rather than thinking he got punked into coming here.
I think in a short version, Turd was trying to really hard to mold Nebraska into the modern era of college football/athletics, and everything that entails, while the key players in the state, oppose that. It would seem that the modern era could be considered more liberal in a sense, and obviously those key players are conservative, or atleast enough conservative to keep things from happening. You get to a stalemate with project difficulties looming, no boss to report to, and boom he's gone. Also the whole climbing the ladder in athletics thing.

All the Youtube interviews and podcasts and Jim Rose's tweets point to that, or atleast make me understand it that way.

Jay Bilzerian

Safety
Elite Member
I think in a short version, Turd was trying to really hard to mold Nebraska into the modern era of college football/athletics, and everything that entails, while the key players in the state, oppose that. It would seem that the modern era could be considered more liberal in a sense, and obviously those key players are conservative, or atleast enough conservative to keep things from happening. You get to a stalemate with project difficulties looming, no boss to report to, and boom he's gone. Also the whole climbing the ladder in athletics thing.

All the Youtube interviews and podcasts and Jim Rose's tweets point to that, or atleast make me understand it that way.
Really wish one of the posters espousing the bolded above would actually explain what it means.

Who are these key players and what, exactly, are they opposing?

cwessel76

Run The Damn Ball
Elite Member
tPB OG
Goddamnit The Tradition Coalition will end up winning, won’t they?

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds