Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Things that make me rage - Shitty OL Play (1 Viewer)

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Like watch that... Then watch....

Not same play but look at the difference in combo blocks. Fuck I don't think Austin cared about getting 1st level combos

Like watch that... Then watch....

Not same play but look at the difference in combo blocks. Fuck I don't think Austin cared about getting 1st level combos

I’m going to go ahead and make an assumption, based on the last few years about this initial staff, and what’s been heard about Austin and Held based on what Stepp said, that the offensive staff as a whole knew what what they wanted the offense to look like “big picture” but maybe all of them collectively didn’t know all of the small details, or maybe just at a high enough level, to make it happen to what they wanted, and that’s why we saw what we saw.

That simple play alone shows that they generally know how they want the play to look and work, but those smaller details with Cam basically diving at no one, and Piper getting owned on technique, tell me that there is a disconnect in technique

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Dont show that to NFL scouts. RSS told me he’s a 2nd/3rd rounder

Will test off the charts at the Combine he hasn’t been invited too yet
He is a physical freak, but he has so much more room to grow.

I have said he is a 4th rounder.. Maybe early 3rd. Honestly either of those spots are basically like being the last pick in the draft. You really need to crack the top 2 rounds for the pay to be much different.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
I simply have no fucking clue what Cam is doing. Like block most dangerous.

View attachment 6803
Zone scheme, he's looking to jack block the 3 and climb to the point.

Part of the reason I don't like track blocking.

Cam's got a 1 tech on the backside. Which presents an immediate problem of potential penetration if the BSG can't get his backside knee through the crotch of the 1 tech. If you're running more of a wide track zone, then you don't have to worry so much about the 1 tech backide, just rip reach and cut him off. But in all honesty, this looks a little more like Duo because of Piper. Because if it's zone scheme, he's got to get his backside leg through the crotch of the 1 tech, and he's not anywhere close to that. So it's either pathetic, or it's Duo...and I want to refuse it's that pathetic and they're trying to create that wall, back read the +1 the point and cut.

My preference personally is running tight zone, shoulders square, vertical displacement, where Cam is uncovered playside, so he's going to execute a hip block and climb to his point. It puts the PSG on the 3 tech basically one on one, but those are the decisions you make to take care of certain things up front. More than likely you're bending this back to the backside A-B range anyways.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Zone scheme, he's looking to jack block the 3 and climb to the point.

Part of the reason I don't like track blocking.

Cam's got a 1 tech on the backside. Which presents an immediate problem of potential penetration if the BSG can't get his backside knee through the crotch of the 1 tech. If you're running more of a wide track zone, then you don't have to worry so much about the 1 tech backide, just rip reach and cut him off. But in all honesty, this looks a little more like Duo because of Piper. Because if it's zone scheme, he's got to get his backside leg through the crotch of the 1 tech, and he's not anywhere close to that. So it's either pathetic, or it's Duo...and I want to refuse it's that pathetic and they're trying to create that wall, back read the +1 the point and cut.

My preference personally is running tight zone, shoulders square, vertical displacement, where Cam is uncovered playside, so he's going to execute a hip block and climb to his point. It puts the PSG on the 3 tech basically one on one, but those are the decisions you make to take care of certain things up front. More than likely you're bending this back to the backside A-B range anyways.
So did I basically draw up a tight zone?

Do you always track block inside zone?

Lets be fucking honest. The only OG I think that has a shot at making that block is Nouili and even I wouldn't bet on it. I don't get why your scheme in this situation would have Cam fucking running after a 3 tech when you have a 1 tech? Any 1 tech who is 600lbs is blowing up this play more times than not.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
So did I basically draw up a tight zone?

Do you always track block inside zone?

Lets be fucking honest. The only OG I think that has a shot at making that block is Nouili and even I wouldn't bet on it. I don't get why your scheme in this situation would have Cam fucking running after a 3 tech when you have a 1 tech? Any 1 tech who is 600lbs is blowing up this play more times than not.
I wouldn't consider that tight zone. Tight Zone to me is if you're uncovered, you help your backside teammate unless your the EMOL front side.

What they're running almost has to be Duo. I just don't see any other way it's not Duo given Piper's positioning and steps. If it were inside zone, he's certainly athletic enough to bucket and drive the back knee to the crotch, he's not even close. If it were inside zone, I'd think he'd get some help from Cam, but doesn't. Could be some basterized version of mid zone track blocking, but just doesn't feel like that to me again because of Piper's technique.

I don't know many teams that track block any type of tight, inside, or mid zone because you're not stretching the defense very much. The one clip where Cam overtakes would be more outside or mid zone to me.

Your last point is another reason I think it's Duo, if it's Duo, the playside is to the left, and everyone blocks gap away, more resembling down blocks.

I love tight zone, specifically how Ohio State runs it. Studied their playbook an OL rules and basically implemented at my old school. They've got a lot of calls to take care of different techniques. Base technique is wedge 90, basically what the Bengals clip earlier in the thread showed those doubles. Then they've got ass and jack blocks, basically a frontside or backside hip technique to knock a DL over into the lap/gap of a backside or playside teammate, and my personal favorite, a fred/fold block. Where the uncovered blocks back and the covered pulls to the uncovered guy's backer...basically a way to cram tight zone into the A gaps. Probably my favorite thing to do.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Your last point is another reason I think it's Duo, if it's Duo, the playside is to the left, and everyone blocks gap away, more resembling down blocks.
That makes more sense. You can tell the back was quick to get going to the left too. Now I don't like how you basically are funneling your RB to a free hitter. So does the TE (87) need to get more horizontal to cut off the DE?

I wouldn't consider that tight zone. Tight Zone to me is if you're uncovered, you help your backside teammate unless your the EMOL front side.
So would you have

87 - hard horizontal step
LT - Check to make sure the 6 tech doesn't spike the go get that LB
LG/C - Combo to the LB
Front side is pretty much straight up.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
That makes more sense. You can tell the back was quick to get going to the left too. Now I don't like how you basically are funneling your RB to a free hitter. So does the TE (87) need to get more horizontal to cut off the DE?

So would you have

87 - hard horizontal step
LT - Check to make sure the 6 tech doesn't spike the go get that LB
LG/C - Combo to the LB
Front side is pretty much straight up.
87: is blocking the C gap by rule. He's got a hard job, but essentially, he's work to get his left knee into the crotch of the DE or he's going to wash him down if he crosses face. He could arc to the D gap player to influence the DE.
LT: B gap, open gap, climb gap and stay within cylinder of the LB, near knee to the nuts.
LG/C - Wedge 90 the 1 to the ID.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
Kind of a free hitter, but it's the RB's job to cut off of the play side inside LB. If the LB plus, you bounce, if the LB scrapes, you penetrate to hit space backside. To me, that's why it looks a lot like zone. But the RB's read is dramatically different than in zone plays.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds