Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Stock Market/Investing/Day Trading/Speculative Trading Thread

"You kids these days. Back in my day, we had INFLATION! ...And wages that were still high enough that a single income without a college education could support a family, but that's beside the point."

The biggest economic issue that Boomers faced in their younger years was the '70s stagflation period. I always felt like it left us with a generation of economists who were hyper-fixated on trying to prevent inflation, at the expense of turning a blind eye to a host of other economic problems that affect average people. They apparently decided that trickle-down economic theory made sense (or at least would be good for the people who write paychecks for economists), aaaand here we are.
Would rather have a more supply side economics approach than a more demand side economics approach.

I also think that the evidence shows support for it through things like the Laffer Curve.

But I am also somebody who thinks the govt spends too much and we are over taxed currently. Also that more decisions need to be pushed to the state level.

"You kids these days. Back in my day, we had INFLATION! ...And wages that were still high enough that a single income without a college education could support a family, but that's beside the point."

The biggest economic issue that Boomers faced in their younger years was the '70s stagflation period. I always felt like it left us with a generation of economists who were hyper-fixated on trying to prevent inflation, at the expense of turning a blind eye to a host of other economic problems that affect average people. They apparently decided that trickle-down economic theory made sense (or at least would be good for the people who write paychecks for economists), aaaand here we are.
The biggest problem with current economic policy is systems are super inefficient (Canada and the US are very even in terms of tax rates, but you get a lot more dollar value in Canada, which is insane) and most of our support systems skew towards older Americans, who have more wealth. We have shitty, shitty support systems for young workers.

ETA: the primary means by which young workers have been supported over the past ~30 years is ease of access to credit, which is why your average American gets wiped in every recession.

The biggest problem with current economic policy is systems are super inefficient (Canada and the US are very even in terms of tax rates, but you get a lot more dollar value in Canada, which is insane) and most of our support systems skew towards older Americans, who have more wealth. We have shitty, shitty support systems for young workers.

ETA: the primary means by which young workers have been supported over the past ~30 years is ease of access to credit, which is why your average American gets wiped in every recession.

Legit don’t think I’ve been on the @KidsSeeGhosts train more than this post.

Nailed it

That’s for my retirement account. I use some play money for individual stock purchases so I can lose money and feel bad about it
I mean, you do you man. I've been a public company attorney for 7 years so know enough to be dangerous w/ financial statements and regularly had/have MNPI. What I've learned 1. It's something else to see people who really know finance and modeling and I know I'm not on the level to actually compete with them. 2. Shit is really random and everyone is guessing (including the advisors). At least 60% of stock price is just the market, another 25-30% is the industry and then you have the remainder for anything unique about that company. Trading individual equities is gambling to me, but I don't hate the hustle.

I mean, you do you man. I've been a public company attorney for 7 years so know enough to be dangerous w/ financial statements and regularly had/have MNPI. What I've learned 1. It's something else to see people who really know finance and modeling and I know I'm not on the level to actually compete with them. 2. Shit is really random and everyone is guessing (including the advisors). At least 60% of stock price is just the market, another 25-30% is the industry and then you have the remainder for anything unique about that company. Trading individual equities is gambling to me, but I don't hate the hustle.
Yeah I’m a newish licensed broker so I know it’s mostly a crap shoot, especially seeing some of the giant losses some of my clients have in their accounts. Mostly was just curious what info people use to make their decisions

Yeah I’m a newish licensed broker so I know it’s mostly a crap shoot, especially seeing some of the giant losses some of my clients have in their accounts. Mostly was just curious what info people use to make their decisions

@Faux Sean Callahan and I buy penny stocks and attempt to turn them into meme stonks (pump) and hopefully someday we can dump this shit and become mega boosters for Nebraska football.

1619547155_221423_gif-url.gif

Tail wagging the dog

Create advertising company (cost) and pay taxes on any income on company (cost)

Build pool (cost)

Paint pool (cost)

Pay $1,000 a year to your own company to “advertise”… ok cool.

Get to deduct $1,000 from your total taxable income and save (probably) <$200 a year in Taxes.

Estimation on how long it would take to make the pool a total “wire off”? Probably 40-60 years minimum.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back