Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Stock Market/Investing/Day Trading/Speculative Trading Thread

To help celebrate @Elizabeth Reed decided to host an open tab event at Bushwood off Miracle Hills Drive next month. DM and text him for details
giphy.gif

I never thought I’d be posting in one of these threads, but here we are......

To start, I need to say that I’m an absolute noob when it comes to market investing. Like literally no experience at all. However, we are in a position currently where we have some money we’d like to find something to do more than accrue 0.05% interest in our money market account. My plan is to start by finding an index fund/ETF or two to invest in and then see where that takes me. Given all this, any advice anyone may have about the following would be appreciated:
  1. What online platform would you recommend for a beginning investor?
  2. What are some of the ETFs out there you like and why?
  3. Honestly.....just any helpful info/tips in general

If you're looking to set up a buy & hold portfolio (as opposed to day trading/stock picking/speculation), I like M1 Finance. No fees, and easy to use. The 'no fees' part is important - that can really sap your earnings over time.

As for portfolio composition, IMO the best place to start is with the All Weather Portfolio. Basically it was a proposal from personal finance book author Tony Robbins and Ray Dalio, co-founder of the world's largest hedge fund firm. (Forbes has him in the top 100 richest people in the world.)

The portfolio assets are divided up like this: 40% long-term bonds, 30% stocks, 15% intermediate-term bonds, 7.5% gold, 7.5% commodities.

Why do I like that portfolio? Well, here's some footage of that portfolio rolling through the Great Recession and covid shutdown periods:

cjBr5Kk.gif

Oh4tu4N.png

Notice what you don't see there? No huge drops during periods when the stock market took a dive and recessions hit. Imagine it's 2008, shit has hit the fan all over the economy, and you just lost your job. And you take a look at your portfolio to see how bad the damage is, and it's... next to nothing? Halle-fucking-lujah!

There's definitely portfolios out there that will earn you more money in the long term, but don't underestimate the value of not shitting your pants when things take a downturn!

Anyway, I've got plenty more I can say, but that's all I have time to write for now...

Last edited:
If you're looking to set up a buy & hold portfolio (as opposed to day trading/stock picking/speculation), I like M1 Finance. No fees, and easy to use. The 'no fees' part is important - that can really sap your earnings over time.

As for portfolio composition, IMO the best place to start is with the All Weather Portfolio. Basically it was a proposal from personal finance book author Tony Robbins and Ray Dalio, co-founder of the world's largest hedge fund firm. (Forbes has him in the top 100 richest people in the world.)

The portfolio assets are divided up like this: 40% long-term bonds, 30% stocks, 15% intermediate-term bonds, 7.5% gold, 7.5% commodities.

Why do I like that portfolio? Well, here's some footage of that portfolio rolling through the Great Recession and covid shutdown periods:

cjBr5Kk.gif

Oh4tu4N.png

Notice what you don't see there? No huge drops during periods when the stock market took a dive and recessions hit. Imagine it's 2008, shit has hit the fan all over the economy, and you just lost your job. And you take a look at your portfolio to see how bad the damage is, and it's... next to nothing? Hallelujah!

There's definitely portfolios out there that will earn you more money in the long term, but don't underestimate the value of not shitting your pants when things take a downturn!

Anyway, I've got plenty more I can say, but that's all I have time to write for now...
No offense, but good luck retiring with 55% in bonds. If you're young enough, you should have VERY little, if any in bonds. That being said, you need to have them if you are close to retiring/are retired but as an advisor, I would almost never put a client 55% into bonds, unless they were EXTREMELY conservative and not worried about running out of money.

@RedSavage Bonds ain't there to make you money, they're there so you ain't shitting your pants when things take a turn for the worse. And that isn't my actual portfolio, just something I consider a good, safe starting point for a noob who has no idea what they're doing. And again, there's a lot more I can say about directions you could go with a port, I just don't have time to type it right now...

@RedSavage Bonds ain't there to make you money, they're there so you ain't shitting your pants when things take a turn for the worse. And that isn't my actual portfolio, just something I consider a good, safe starting point for a noob who has no idea what they're doing. And again, there's a lot more I can say, I just don't have time to type it right now...
Oh definitely. I think we're in agreement but you really only need to worry about that if you're retired or getting somewhat close to retirement. There's other means to avoid shitting the bed when everything goes to hell. It all depends on your age, risk tolerance, time horizon, income needs, etc.

@RedSavage Retirement is one thing that calls for being conservative, and the other is just avoiding panic selling or having to dig deep into your nest egg when things are trending downward. Retirement age is a relatively fixed point in life, but recessions can happen at any time.

TBH, I feel like a lot of financial advice over-emphasizes retirement. I mean obviously it's a huge goal, but the concerns of that need to be balanced against the concerns of all the other years of your life. Retirement advice tends to act like you need to plan like you're gonna live to be 100, but the reality is that it's just as likely that you'll only live to be 50 and die before you even reach retirement age. And if it happens that you're one of those unlucky ones, did your financial decisions enrich the years that you did have on this earth? Or was it wasted on the hope of a future that never even happened for you?

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back