Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Stock Market/Investing/Day Trading/Speculative Trading Thread (6 Viewers)

Toe

Wide Receiver
Putting inflation in perspective?

anigif_sub-buzz-7671-1548416767-1.gif

banana_prices.png

"It's a linear extrapolation, Michael. How big could the error be? 10%?"

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Looking at buying 2 very different companies...

1. $Crox - Low P/E, Usually beats earnings, High ROE, etc... con in my eyes is a healthy amount of debt. LTD to Equity is 168%.
2. $ARLP - Coal company with a healthy dividend (14% with a 214% coverage ratio). Also, balance sheet is trending the right way with liabilities staying in the same ball park, but assets growing. Big concern is what does coal's future look like? I frankly think coal will be around longer than most think, but definitely a concern. Probably why it is trading a a 3.5 P/E.

Thoughts?

View attachment 32253

Hammered the table at $85/share around this post... Had a small position and thought 85 was too cheap.

Nice looking win in the portfolio currently...
1708053933627.png

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Last edited:

Pepe Silvia

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Commercial real estate feels like a trainwreck in slow motion. Sure hope it doesn't turn into a trainwreck in fast motion....

What do you think, manageable problem, or is this just Fed-speak from Powell?
My friend who was in commercial real estate lending has been telling me this was all going to blow up in a very ugly way. He's been saying that since he got out back in 2021

During COVID they refinanced their entire portfolio at all-time low rates. Now those are coming up for renewal and people won't be able to afford the current rates and it looks like there's zero chance we'll see enough cuts to prevent that.

On top of that, if this recent inflation spike becomes a trend, rate increases could be on the table again

Toe

Wide Receiver
During COVID they refinanced their entire portfolio at all-time low rates.

That's true of much of the economy. If you had a loan and a clue, you refinanced. It's probably a big part of why things have held up better lately than some predicted - businesses that otherwise would be struggling right now were able to get more favorable financial terms without bankruptcy. Unless the company's managers are dumbshits on the level of Bed Bath & Beyond...

Last edited:

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds