Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Stock Market/Investing/Day Trading/Speculative Trading Thread

Wife and I are looking at a home this evening....I didn't even want to look what the mortgage would be, but I did, like $500 more than if we bought the exact same home 6 months ago....doesn't account our credit rating, which is excellent, but still.
Oof. You're not gonna wait for prices to fall more and the recession to hit? Seems like a golden opportunity in about 9 months ..

Oof. You're not gonna wait for prices to fall more and the recession to hit? Seems like a golden opportunity in about 9 months ..
The chances of buying this home are pretty well 0, unless they come down drastically in price. Z-estimate is 45K less than the asking price. If I got it for that price, then I'd think about it...even then....probably will not pull the trigger.

Wife and I are looking at a home this evening....I didn't even want to look what the mortgage would be, but I did, like $500 more than if we bought the exact same home 6 months ago....doesn't account our credit rating, which is excellent, but still.

If life had worked out differently, I might have bought a home in early 2019. But I got laid off from my old job, and ended up unemployed for much of that year. I waited until this year to buy so that I'd have two full years of continuous employment on my tax returns for the mortgage application. I missed out on the best rates, but I was looking at the rate history, and realized that I ended up getting about the same rate I would've had in early 2019.

Of course, home prices were lower in early 2019, but I'm reasonably happy with the price I got mine for. Other than not having a garage, it checks all my boxes, and the price was only about 70% of the max I was approved for, so the payments are comfortable enough.

If life had worked out differently, I might have bought a home in early 2019. But I got laid off from my old job, and ended up unemployed for much of that year. I waited until this year to buy so that I'd have two full years of continuous employment on my tax returns for the mortgage application. I missed out on the best rates, but I was looking at the rate history, and realized that I ended up getting about the same rate I would've had in early 2019.

Of course, home prices were lower in early 2019, but I'm reasonably happy with the price I got mine for. Other than not having a garage, it checks all my boxes, and the price was only about 70% of the max I was approved for, so the payments are comfortable enough.
Just got done looking at it. It’s nice. It’s big. And like you. It’s about the same range as far as what we were approved for. Would actually fit us very well. I just don’t know if it’s worth pulling the trigger. Same house is up 6 months ago. Would have been a no brainer. But I’m also uncertain if where we’re at is a long term fit. So we’ll probably stand Pat for now.

@slattimer Yeah, in hindsight that's kinda how I feel about long-term fit. In 2019, I was living in Austin, spent about five and a half years there. It's a fun town, definitely has its perks, but by the end I was kinda over it - the negatives of living there had started to outweigh the positives for me.

Last edited:
What didn't you like?

Too damn hot. Shitty traffic. Dysfunctional city government. Skyrocketing housing prices (home prices have doubled just since I left) and a nasty 'missing middle' housing problem, partly due to said dysfunctional city government's failure to pass land use code updates. Bad homeless problem. A general social atmosphere that's a little too focused on drinking for me.

Also, I spent months applying for jobs there and failed to land one. Then I started applying for jobs elsewhere, and promptly landed one of the very first jobs I applied for. Lotta jobs in tech down there, but also a lot of competition for them.

those who have 60-40 portfolios having a tough, tough year lol
rate hikes will slow it down. lagging effect. circle back in 12-18 months

First post: Only the rich are down this year “lol”

Next post: inflation is no big deal, we will keep hiking rates for 1.5 years and then circle back on the issue 🤷‍♂️

bruv-bruh.gif

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back