Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Star Wars (1 Viewer)

skersker

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
I enjoyed 7 and thought there was some good potential for 8 & 9, but 8 was such a fucking disaster of a movie that no matter how hard they tried to get things back on track with 9 they were fucked.
agreed. didnt hate 9 as much as people do. 8 is a disaster.

the problem with people and star wars is they take things too seriously imo... i enjoyed 1-3 while most people hate it.

theres different generations - older people will revere 4-6 forever. even though empire strikes back is my favorite, i grew up with 1-3 and still liked them, just like kids today will like 7-9

betsch

Safety
DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT skip the Star Wars on ice show from the 80's. Some good stuff.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I think a more interesting thread would be a list of culturally popular franchise inspiring movies/series that @Pipe Line hasn't seen.

Please tell me he hasn't seen GoT so we can send him to watch it and witness the miracle together.
Watched GOT between 18-19 seasons to pass the offseason time. The pieces that I do remember were pretty significant and great watching, but I remember maybe 30% of the entire show. One of those shows you can't be distracted with at all and I have tad bit of ADD when it comes to watching shows like that if I'm not 100% invested.

betsch

Safety
Darth Maul was way underutilized. He was a cool character. Some argue that less of him made him more mysterious, but I would have definitely taken more. I liked most of the phantom menace except for the Pod Race and Jar Jar. And the kid that played Anikan, he sucked.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Darth Maul was way underutilized. He was a cool character. Some argue that less of him made him more mysterious, but I would have definitely taken more. I liked most of the phantom menace except for the Pod Race and Jar Jar. And the kid that played Anikan, he sucked.
I think the Harry Potter series played the "see less of him to make him more mysterious" thing with Voldemort very well. Certainly were intense scenes when he was in them.

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
The only way to watch the first time, if you ACTUALLY want to watch all 9 of them, is in the order they were released.

• Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi were the originals, made in the late 70s/early 80s. They were extremely groundbreaking fun adventure movies at that time. The famous characters all started here (Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Princess Leia, etc)
  • The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, and Revenge of the Sith all came out in the late 90s/early 00s. These stories take place BEFORE the original trilogy, showing how Anakin Skywalker turned into evil Darth Vader, with mostly new characters. They attempted to fill in the backstory, but many fans thought they relied too much on weird boring interplanetary economics and geopolitics, a strange decision for what was a fun adventure series. The CGI has aged badly and the acting was extremely wooden, but some superfans enjoy these movies because of the backstory elements.
  • The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi, and The Rise of Skywalker came out in the late 10s. These stories take place AFTER the original trilogy. They tried to bring the fun adventure quality back with new central characters teaming up with some of the original characters from the original trilogy. As others have said, the higher ups had no overarching plan or storyline in mind to connect all 3 movies, so a lot of it ended up not making sense. I personally enjoyed watching these in the moment, they're fun, but don't think too hard about any of it.

So like I said, just watch them in that order. If you try to bounce around too much you'll be doing yourself a disservice. The movies didn't come out in chronological order, but they were obviously meant to make sense based on the movies that came earlier. If you end up liking the movies, you can mix and match in some hodgepodge order if you feel like it.

Plus, technology changed a lot between the trilogies, just start with the oldest movies and enjoy the way the effects and graphics evolved rather than bouncing back and forth.

Don't even worry about jumping into any of the tv series until you've watched the movies. If you like them enough at that point, you'll know which direction you want to go with the tv shows.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
The only way to watch the first time, if you ACTUALLY want to watch all 9 of them, is in the order they were released.

• Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi were the originals, made in the late 70s/early 80s. They were extremely groundbreaking fun adventure movies at that time. The famous characters all started here (Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Princess Leia, etc)
  • The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, and Revenge of the Sith all came out in the late 90s/early 00s. These stories take place BEFORE the original trilogy, showing how Anakin Skywalker turned into evil Darth Vader, with mostly new characters. They attempted to fill in the backstory, but many fans thought they relied too much on weird boring interplanetary economics and geopolitics, a strange decision for what was a fun adventure series. The CGI has aged badly and the acting was extremely wooden, but some superfans enjoy these movies because of the backstory elements.
  • The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi, and The Rise of Skywalker came out in the late 10s. These stories take place AFTER the original trilogy. They tried to bring the fun adventure quality back with new central characters teaming up with some of the original characters from the original trilogy. As others have said, the higher ups had no overarching plan or storyline in mind to connect all 3 movies, so a lot of it ended up not making sense. I personally enjoyed watching these in the moment, they're fun, but don't think too hard about any of it.

So like I said, just watch them in that order. If you try to bounce around too much you'll be doing yourself a disservice. The movies didn't come out in chronological order, but they were obviously meant to make sense based on the movies that came earlier. If you end up liking the movies, you can mix and match in some hodgepodge order if you feel like it.

Plus, technology changed a lot between the trilogies, just start with the oldest movies and enjoy the way the effects and graphics evolved rather than bouncing back and forth.

Don't even worry about jumping into any of the tv series until you've watched the movies. If you like them enough at that point, you'll know which direction you want to go with the tv shows.
Can confirm the acting and CGI was a tough watch last night while watching lol

Juro

Sarcastic Ass
Elite Member
Bounty Hunter
This is the official rankings so you are wrong.
Nah. But here’s my top five:

Avengers: Infinity War
Avengers
Captain America: Winter Soldier
Thor: Ragnarok
Captain America: Civil War

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds