Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Star Wars (1 Viewer)

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Disney Plus does have them in Timeline Order. I guess a big thing for me is I really don’t know what the climax is and I have less of an idea where it’s supposed to end. Very general knowledge about the series, you could say the absolute main characters and “Luke I am your father” is the extent to my knowledge. That’s actually one of the reasons I wanted to give it another try. My cousins are big fans so watched some when I was a kid, but I just thought it was dumb at the time

Irv

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
I can't get over that there are people who think 7-9 are anywhere in the ballpark of 1-3 for shittiness. 1 and 2 in particular practically dare you to stay awake.

I'm pretty forgiving of most Star Wars content but I cannot imagine a scenario where I ever voluntarily watch 1-3 again.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
I can't get over that there are people who think 7-9 are anywhere in the ballpark of 1-3 for shittiness. 1 and 2 in particular practically dare you to stay awake.

I'm pretty forgiving of most Star Wars content but I cannot imagine a scenario where I ever voluntarily watch 1-3 again.
I wouldn't watch any of 1-3, 7-9 again.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
I don't know that 7-9 are individually worse movies than 1-3, but 1-3 at least has some semblance of an overarching story while 7-9, as one would expect from how the chucklefucks at Disney set it up with directors, is a hodgepodge of shit

Goskers07

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
I don't know that 7-9 are individually worse movies than 1-3, but 1-3 at least has some semblance of an overarching story while 7-9, as one would expect from how the chucklefucks at Disney set it up with directors, is a hodgepodge of shit
1-3 at least has some importance to the OG fans. It explains how you get to the original trilogy. 7-9 was screwed from the start cause they had to find a way to build on that story while essentially making it an entirely new story.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
This series kinda sounds like a tough sell to be honest, just based on the comments

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
This series kinda sounds like a tough sell to be honest, just based on the comments
The bulk of the movies just aren't good. The first 3 (IV, V, VI now), at the time they came out, were groundbreaking for lots of reasons but that was like 40ish years ago now. Lots of the other movies/tv projects/video game are better.

But to be clear, I was a star wars nerd in my youth so the movies might be perfectly fine to watch and what I'm conveying is having my childhood crushed by poor planning by the Mouse/lazy money grab George Lucas

BorWhiskey

Ziggy Stardust
Insider
Elite Member
I’m a pretty big fan. Here’s my 2 cents:

Given you are curious and not even committed to doing it I wouldn’t dance around anything. Just stick to the Original Trilogy. They are the best movies and easy to consume.

4- New Hope
5- Empire Strikes Back (my favorite)
6- Return of the Jedi

What I’ll say about the Prequel Trilogy is that Lucas wanted to do a lot of world building. They are like a sci-fi political thriller. Don’t watch them unless you are completely sold on the series. I don’t think you will. Die hard fans really like them because of what they did to the broader storylines and things like Clone Wars that came out of it.

The Sequel Trilogy in terms of entertainment are fun watches. But there are endless problems that the fandom legitimately has with them. For example, “Star Wars” is supposed to be a saga about the Skywalkers. The ST broke that. They also didn’t have clear direction on what they wanted to do. Abrams stated he was going to figure it out based on what worked in the movies. Well, they hired Ryen Johnson to do the middle movie and he threw up a big middle finger to the established plot from the first movie. And instead of going with it, JJ took over for the final installment and tried to retcon things. Not hard to imagine how clunky the story telling was because of it.

The suggested order of watching I would have given if you are a sci-fi and elaborate story fan was what was previously stated with one tweak; 4, 5, 2, 3, 6. Skip 1 until you are hooked. And watch the ST after if at all inclined. Again, they are fun movies if you don’t go into them with hopes and dreams that are about to be destroyed.

Tag on movies:
Solo- Actually pretty good. Every time I rewatch it I’m surprised by how much I enjoy it.
Rogue One- Goos drama and story telling. Also the best live action Darth Vader being a bad ass.

Disney+ shows
Mandolorian- very well done. A little monster off the week combined with well executed action. They are releasing the third season now. Quick episodes. Also feels like it’s most important to the grand story line.
Book of Boba Fett- I didn’t hate it but it was the weakest of the shows. Don’t really know the point of the show other than to profit off of our love for Boba.
Obi-Wan- only slightly better than boba. Slow. But better acting. Felt more epic than boba.

Excited for Ahsoka. The “villain” she mentioned is someone I’m excited about but that’s all I say here to not spoil anything.

Cartoons
Clone Wars- gives you a lot more FaceTime with anakin and obi. Also answers some questions for those that care.
There is another one I’m blanking on right now I liked better than clone wars. It took place after clone wars and dealt with former Jedis on the run doing gorilla warfare against the empire.

Book
Thrawn series. I’ve read all of them in the new cannon. So fun. They are like Star Trek TNG in feel. I think this is their best avenue to expand the universe and introduce new villains instead of recycling the same one.
High Republic. These are written by a bunch of different people so some are harder to get through than others. Enjoy the significant separation on timelines along with the new challenges they face in that timeline. I think they are going to make a series about this timeline too.
A lot of others I liked. The aftermath series was good. Will have to dig through my books if anyone is looking interested in recommendations.

BorWhiskey

Ziggy Stardust
Insider
Elite Member
P.S. here’s my ranking for the MCU:

Movie NameYearReleasePhaseRank
Iron Man20081112
The Incredible Hulk20082131
Iron Man 220103130
Thor20114110
Captain America: The First Avenger2011516
Marvel’s The Avengers2012611
Iron Man 320137228
Thor: The Dark World20138229
Captain America: The Winter Soldier2014928
Guardians of the Galaxy20141024
Avengers: Age of Ultron201511222
Ant-Man201512225
Captain America: Civil War20161335
Doctor Strange201614320
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2201715319
Spider-Man: Homecoming201716315
Thor: Ragnorak20171732
Black Panther201818321
Avengers: Infinity War20181933
Ant-Man and the Wasp201820328
Captain Marvel201921318
Avengers: Endgame201922311
Spider-Man: Far From Home201923313
Black Widow202124424
Shang-Chi202125423
Eternals202126426
Spider-Man: No Way Home20212747
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness202228417
Thor: Love & Thunder202229414
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever20223049
Ant-Man: Quantumanoa202331516
Yes I have this on me at all times. And I had been watching the movies annually until this year to reconsider the order. Because often lack of rewatching the full series in the past 18 months I’m probably over rating the newer movies.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG

Given you are curious and not even committed to doing it I wouldn’t dance around anything. Just stick to the Original Trilogy. They are the best movies and easy to consume.

4- New Hope
6- Return of the Jedi

What I’ll say about the Prequel Trilogy is that Lucas wanted to do a lot of world building. They are like a sci-fi political thriller. Don’t watch them unless you are completely sold on the series. I don’t think you will. Die hard fans really like them because of what they did to the broader storylines and things like Clone Wars that came out of it.

The Sequel Trilogy in terms of entertainment are fun watches. But there are endless problems that the fandom legitimately has with them. For example, “Star Wars” is supposed to be a saga about the Skywalkers. The ST broke that. They also didn’t have clear direction on what they wanted to do. Abrams stated he was going to figure it out based on what worked in the movies. Well, they hired Ryen Johnson to do the middle movie and he threw up a big middle finger to the established plot from the first movie. And instead of going with it, JJ took over for the final installment and tried to retcon things. Not hard to imagine how clunky the story telling was because of it.

The suggested order of watching I would have given if you are a sci-fi and elaborate story fan was what was previously stated with one tweak; 4, 5, 2, 3, 6. Skip 1 until you are hooked. And watch the ST after if at all inclined. Again, they are fun movies if you don’t go into them with hopes and dreams that are about to be destroyed.

Tag on movies:
Solo- Actually pretty good. Every time I rewatch it I’m surprised by how much I enjoy it.
Rogue One- Goos drama and story telling. Also the best live action Darth Vader being a bad ass.

Disney+ shows
Mandolorian- very well done. A little monster off the week combined with well executed action. They are releasing the third season now. Quick episodes. Also feels like it’s most important to the grand story line.
Book of Boba Fett- I didn’t hate it but it was the weakest of the shows. Don’t really know the point of the show other than to profit off of our love for Boba.
Obi-Wan- only slightly better than boba. Slow. But better acting. Felt more epic than boba.

Excited for Ahsoka. The “villain” she mentioned is someone I’m excited about but that’s all I say here to not spoil anything.

Cartoons
Clone Wars- gives you a lot more FaceTime with anakin and obi. Also answers some questions for those that care.
There is another one I’m blanking on right now I liked better than clone wars. It took place after clone wars and dealt with former Jedis on the run doing gorilla warfare against the empire.

Book
Thrawn series. I’ve read all of them in the new cannon. So fun. They are like Star Trek TNG in feel. I think this is their best avenue to expand the universe and introduce new villains instead of recycling the same one.
High Republic. These are written by a bunch of different people so some are harder to get through than others. Enjoy the significant separation on timelines along with the new challenges they face in that timeline. I think they are going to make a series about this timeline too.
A lot of others I liked. The aftermath series was good. Will have to dig through my books if anyone is looking interested in recommendations.

BorWhiskey

Ziggy Stardust
Insider
Elite Member

I’ve gone to two Star Wars celebrations. It’s quite the scene. Never cosplayed before but certainly fun seeing other people do it.

And I got very drunk at both. One was in Orlando and we went to a bar where the bartender knew a lot of y bartenders up in DC area so continued to R&D cocktails for me all night. So sick the next day. In Chicago, there are so many high end places. Dililah’s had a great whiskey collection and amazing prices. I remember drinking weller 12 squat bottle for like $21 a pour. At the time it was a $50 drink at jack rose and now it’s probably $200 dram. Then went to violet hour. We probably had half the menu. Oh, opened the night at girl and the goat.

When the celebration is in a fun city I try my hardest to go. One day at the convention and two nights of getting butt housed.

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev 👻
Elite Member
Rebels, Clone Wars, and tales of the Jedi are great animated series that should get more love. Resistance was trash, stay the fuck away from that garbage.

BorWhiskey

Ziggy Stardust
Insider
Elite Member
Rebels, Clone Wars, and tales of the Jedi are great animated series that should get more love. Resistance was trash, stay the fuck away from that garbage.
Never watched resistance. rebels was the one I was trying to remember that I liked. I never finished tales of the Jedi but enjoyed what I had seen.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member

4- New Hope
6- Return of the Jedi

Tag on movies:

Disney+ shows

Cartoons

Book
Would you say your 3 above will give me what I’m looking for as far as a general understanding of the story line and seeing Maul and Vader as the obvious bad guys? I’m gonna give it a go with those 3 and see what happens

BorWhiskey

Ziggy Stardust
Insider
Elite Member
Would you say your 3 above will give me what I’m looking for as far as a general understanding of the story line and seeing Maul and Vader as the obvious bad guys? I’m gonna give it a go with those 3 and see what happens
Maul is only in episode 1, so not him. Vader and Sydious (emperor), yes. But it also gives you the overall feel. Fantasy, sci-fi western, space opera, suspension of disbelief… enjoy.

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev 👻
Elite Member
Starting a New Hope. Will report back
my man denzel GIF

Irv

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
P.S. here’s my ranking for the MCU:

Movie NameYearReleasePhaseRank
Iron Man20081112
The Incredible Hulk20082131
Iron Man 220103130
Thor20114110
Captain America: The First Avenger2011516
Marvel’s The Avengers2012611
Iron Man 320137228
Thor: The Dark World20138229
Captain America: The Winter Soldier2014928
Guardians of the Galaxy20141024
Avengers: Age of Ultron201511222
Ant-Man201512225
Captain America: Civil War20161335
Doctor Strange201614320
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2201715319
Spider-Man: Homecoming201716315
Thor: Ragnorak20171732
Black Panther201818321
Avengers: Infinity War20181933
Ant-Man and the Wasp201820328
Captain Marvel201921318
Avengers: Endgame201922311
Spider-Man: Far From Home201923313
Black Widow202124424
Shang-Chi202125423
Eternals202126426
Spider-Man: No Way Home20212747
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness202228417
Thor: Love & Thunder202229414
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever20223049
Ant-Man: Quantumanoa202331516
Yes I have this on me at all times. And I had been watching the movies annually until this year to reconsider the order. Because often lack of rewatching the full series in the past 18 months I’m probably over rating the newer movies.
You have two movies ranked #28. Get your shit together.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds