Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Outdoors thread (3 Viewers)

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG
Back in my day the tag was Buck only so habbits die hard.

FTR i will shoot a big doe if I see one.
I have a buck only tag this year. I also possess a doe tag. I’ll shoot a doe at some point if I feel the itch to pull the trigger. The Buck tag will go unfilled unless I find a trophy or a management buck.

In most of Missouri right now there is a doe only firearm season prior to regular season.

Then full on firearm season (buck and doe)

Then another doe only season but for only archery.

$20 for 3 deer or $27 for 4 deer (1 must be archery)

Such a great thing for people with low income. I wish more people took advantage of it.

Huskerbuck85

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
In most of Missouri right now there is a doe only firearm season prior to regular season.

Then full on firearm season (buck and doe)

Then another doe only season but for only archery.

$20 for 3 deer or $27 for 4 deer (1 must be archery)

Such a great thing for people with low income. I wish more people took advantage of it.
It’s nice for low income but it’s an absolute killer on the population and quality of the overall herd

BluesBucksNHuskers

Running Back
Elite Member
I just wish Nebraska would move rifle to the first week of December and out of the rut. Or at least manage a few large WMAs for archery only with minimum buck size.

Give some of us archery hunters that want mature deer a fighting chance without leaving the state or having a property that contains a herd

Huskerbuck85

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
I just wish Nebraska would move rifle to the first week of December and out of the rut. Or at least manage a few large WMAs for archery only with minimum buck size.

Give some of us archery hunters that want mature deer a fighting chance without leaving the state or having a property that contains a herd
100% needs moved. Reduce bucks per hunter to 1. Cut out of state tags by half and double the price. Move crossbows to the rifle and muzz season and outside of children or elderly & disabled remove them as “archery” equipment.

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
I agree for Bucks but in Missouri the Doe population needs reduced badly.

The special doe only firearm season is currently only 3 days and they want to expand it to 10. (to make it 2 weekends)
I read somewhere recently that the deer is the only animal that has actually increased it's population in the US since the "white man" arrived. They're a downright hazard on the highways and byways of our nation. I saw four (4) dead ones in an hour & 15 minute drive home from Pilger, NE yesterday alone. Population control is definitely one aspect of hunting season.

Ripping Lips

And I ain’t talking about fish
Elite Member
I agree about the need to reduce the deer population in some areas. Where I live in VA, there are probably about 30 doe’s in my 3 acre yard. But some of my neighbors feed them and treat them like pets. I need to bite the bullet, buy a bow and harvest a few.

On the flip side in MT, the ranch I use to work for, I used to get tips for knocking down deer because it was legal to for protecting crops. However, you had to let them lay and the coyotes were eating good to say the least.

Huskerbuck85

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
I read somewhere recently that the deer is the only animal that has actually increased it's population in the US since the "white man" arrived. They're a downright hazard on the highways and byways of our nation. I saw four (4) dead ones in an hour & 15 minute drive home from Pilger, NE yesterday alone. Population control is definitely one aspect of hunting season.
All populations need to be kept in check. I’ll never say that I’ll never hit a deer on the road but I’m under the impression that most people drive with their head up their ass. In all of my life I’ve never hit a deer on accident and I’ve literally spent my life driving in “deer heavy country”. 22k miles on my truck since late April to give you an idea how often I’m on the road. I think the road hazard excuse is a politicians excuse to hand out tags like they’re candy instead of letting the real outdoorsman make the rules.

lee_carvallo_12

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
I agree about the need to reduce the deer population in some areas. Where I live in VA, there are probably about 30 doe’s in my 3 acre yard. But some of my neighbors feed them and treat them like pets. I need to bite the bullet, buy a bow and harvest a few.

On the flip side in MT, the ranch I use to work for, I used to get tips for knocking down deer because it was legal to for protecting crops. However, you had to let them lay and the coyotes were eating good to say the least.
No real comment on the above post, but I can't tell you how much I appreciate the butt jewelry in your avatar pics. Two big thumbs up (the butt).

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
All populations need to be kept in check. I’ll never say that I’ll never hit a deer on the road but I’m under the impression that most people drive with their head up their ass. In all of my life I’ve never hit a deer on accident and I’ve literally spent my life driving in “deer heavy country”. 22k miles on my truck since late April to give you an idea how often I’m on the road. I think the road hazard excuse is a politicians excuse to hand out tags like they’re candy instead of letting the real outdoorsman make the rules.
I don't disagree about most people driving with their head up their ass ... or these days more focused on the phone screen than their windscreen. Infuriating.

I'm a lifetime 0-fer on hitting deer (prolly just jinxed myself), and am taking my NEW ground blind (de-scented in the garage last night) with me on the road to the WMA this morning. I'll definitely be dragging that blind back to the truck with me when I leave today.

Then it's off to South Dakota for a 3-day pheasant hunting trip with my son and a few college buddies.

Then back to the deer blind on Sunday morning and beyond. I still have an archery tag to fill, as well.

Huskerbuck85

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
I don't disagree about most people driving with their head up their ass ... or these days more focused on the phone screen than their windscreen. Infuriating.

I'm a lifetime 0-fer on hitting deer (prolly just jinxed myself), and am taking my NEW ground blind (de-scented in the garage last night) with me on the road to the WMA this morning. I'll definitely be dragging that blind back to the truck with me when I leave today.

Then it's off to South Dakota for a 3-day pheasant hunting trip with my son and a few college buddies.

Then back to the deer blind on Sunday morning and beyond. I still have an archery tag to fill, as well.
Good luck this morning! Hope you bag the ass hats that stole your blind and a good buck.

alt f4

Administrator
Admin
Insider

Hitting a deer is all about bad luck and timing. On the hwy/interstate it's a difference of a 1 second if you hit one crossing the road and often zero chance of avoiding it. When I hit mine 2 falls ago a 1 1/2 year old caused $10k worth of damage on my truck. 2 weeks prior to rifle at 10pm starting to come up a hill and headlights didn't light up the road/ditch until he darted onto the road. Sheriff said that was second one in that spot that week and 4th of the fall.

Lancaster county is easily the worst county in the state and nearly doubles up the next county in Nebraska. The problem here are most are within city limits or on edge of city limits where no one hunts. 200 yards from my house a lady swerved to miss a deer and died after hitting a tree at 40 mph. There probably 20 deer in 2 square mile sections surrounded by heavy trafficed roads. (Alvo, NW 1st, Fletcher).

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG
Our group reached our limit if roughly 45 minutes yesterday, which made for an early entrance into the cigar, boozing, bag toss den. Everyone sounds like Barry White this morning.

View attachment 29940

View attachment 29941
Am I the only guy who hates bag toss or corn hole or whatever you wanna call it?

Just let me sit here and drink beer.

What kind of beer were you boys pounding? Bunch of rich boomers I bet you had IPAs and Microbrews smh

PS: kickoff tonight at 6:30 means we need to start drinking now to time out our afternoon nap so we can be fresh and ready for the game. Cheers boys

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
Am I the only guy who hates bag toss or corn hole or whatever you wanna call it?

What kind of beer were you boys pounding? Bunch of rich boomers I bet you had IPAs and Microbrews smh

PS: kickoff tonight at 6:30 means we need to start drinking now to time out our afternoon nap so we can be fresh and ready for the game. Cheers boys
Played more of that game in the last two night than I have in the previous 65 years of my life. Something to do, and a great chance to “throw a little shade” on my buddies. If you can bowl or toss horse shoes, you can toss a bag.

Mostly PBR and a wide variety of high end bourbon being poured into gullets the last few nights. Some turrible smells emanating from the bathrooms this morning.

Time to go slay em. We crack shells at 10.

alt f4

Administrator
Admin
Insider

I hate it. Only time I'll play is vs my boys.

Game of choice is Polish Horseshoes.

dsbigred1

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
I hate it. Only time I'll play is vs my boys.

Game of choice is Polish Horseshoes.
I like a game called Scatter, also known as Mookie to some.
It’s really difficult to play on a lot of lawns, though

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds