Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Outdoors thread (5 Viewers)

Huskerbuck85

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
I'm not anti hunting by any means but I can't stomach trapping. I also don't think I could kill anything dog like wolf/coyote. Can't get that separation in my brain.
My 9,3,2 yr old and I have trapped 9 coons so far around our pond this winter. Saving pheasants and quail one coon at a time. My neighbors have trapped near 20 coyotes. Saving many fawns come this spring.

BluesBucksNHuskers

Running Back
Elite Member
I'm not anti hunting by any means but I can't stomach trapping. I also don't think I could kill anything dog like wolf/coyote. Can't get that separation in my brain.

tbh I don’t love it either, but I have seen a solid increase in fawn survival since I’ve dedicated 2-3 weeks to predator control in the early spring - to just at least get rid of the pack long enough for fawns to grow enough to be able to survive running from a pack.

Plus - I usually get enough in yote hides to be able to buy a new hunting toy off the wife’s radar

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
My 9,3,2 yr old and I have trapped 9 coons so far around our pond this winter. Saving pheasants and quail one coon at a time. My neighbors have trapped near 20 coyotes. Saving many fawns come this spring.
tbh I don’t love it either, but I have seen a solid increase in fawn survival since I’ve dedicated 2-3 weeks to predator control in the early spring - to just at least get rid of the pack long enough for fawns to grow enough to be able to survive running from a pack.

Plus - I usually get enough in yote hides to be able to buy a new hunting toy off the wife’s radar
There's entirely too many coyotes. I have no ill will for someone that does it. I just personally get no enjoyment or have a purpose to do. I don't have a regular place to hunt either.

dsbigred1

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
There's entirely too many coyotes. I have no ill will for someone that does it. I just personally get no enjoyment or have a purpose to do. I don't have a regular place to hunt either.
I thought similar to this prior to really helping to manage and hunt a property. But after hearing them howl at dusk right after you’ve shot a nice deer, I’ve got no problem with it anymore.
I do have a problem with people not checking traps enough though. Having animals trapped for days while they waste away is not cool.

dsbigred1

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
Our turkey population has exploded from trapping coons. Saw over 60 in one afternoon sit come through the field. Was insane

BushAK

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
tPB OG
Just squeeze the trigger, Jim.
I get it. Trapping was a huge part of winter activities where I used to live. I used to occasionally help out a buddy on his trapline where we caught marmots, otters, beavers, and wolverines. We never got a wolf but some of my students did. I don't have a problem with it but it wasn't something I enjoyed especially when compared to deer, moose, pheasant, etc.

It wasn't an ethical thing either as I had a fur ruff on my parka, beaver mitts and hat, etc. To each their own.

dsbigred1

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
I get it. Trapping was a huge part of winter activities where I used to live. I used to occasionally help out a buddy on his trapline where we caught marmots, otters, beavers, and wolverines. We never got a wolf but some of my students did. I don't have a problem with it but it wasn't something I enjoyed especially when compared to deer, moose, pheasant, etc.

It wasn't an ethical thing either as I had a fur ruff on my parka, beaver mitts and hat, etc. To each their own.
Family got a new parcel with a nice lake, beaver and otter in there… it’s nuts how much damage a beaver can do, so the traps are out!
Will be a fun place… hundreds of Canada and Speckle bellies around and on the lake all the time right now
Edit: gets to 40’ deep and the crappie are thick! Good bass too.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG

It makes my feels hurt Bush!

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds