Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Outdoors thread (6 Viewers)

BushAK

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
tPB OG
Family got a new parcel with a nice lake, beaver and otter in there… it’s nuts how much damage a beaver can do, so the traps are out!
Will be a fun place… hundreds of Canada and Speckle bellies around and on the lake all the time right now
Edit: gets to 40’ deep and the crappie are thick! Good bass too.
That's a pretty diverse and awesome parcel of land!

BluesBucksNHuskers

Running Back
Elite Member
Family got a new parcel with a nice lake, beaver and otter in there… it’s nuts how much damage a beaver can do, so the traps are out!
Will be a fun place… hundreds of Canada and Speckle bellies around and on the lake all the time right now

Speckles might be my favorite eating of all waterfowl - enjoy!!!

Huskerbuck85

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Our turkey population has exploded from trapping coons. Saw over 60 in one afternoon sit come through the field. Was insane
This is my first time trying to focus on trapping coons. We used to have so many turkeys and now there’s just a few. I hope trapping helps all the game birds

Huskerbuck85

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
There's entirely too many coyotes. I have no ill will for someone that does it. I just personally get no enjoyment or have a purpose to do. I don't have a regular place to hunt either.
That’s what makes the difference for me. Since my folks own some land it gives me a purpose to try and manage the wildlife. Also nice lessons to raise the kids with.

BluesBucksNHuskers

Running Back
Elite Member
This is my first time trying to focus on trapping coons. We used to have so many turkeys and now there’s just a few. I hope trapping helps all the game birds

Interesting - I hadn’t even thought about trying that. Instead of cursing at all the hawks I can’t shoot maybe I should have been shooting some coons to try and get my land to hold more turkeys and maybe have a a few pheasant finally survive.

I’ve been waiting for 1 more good excuse to justify dropping a couple grand on a thermal scope, this might just do it.

Huskerbuck85

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Interesting - I hadn’t even thought about trying that. Instead of cursing at all the hawks I can’t shoot maybe I should have been shooting some coons to try and get my land to hold more turkeys and maybe have a a few pheasant finally survive.

I’ve been waiting for 1 more good excuse to justify dropping a couple grand on a thermal scope, this might just do it.
The justification of a thermal is the great debate! Just imagine 15 years ago when a coon was with $20. Could have paid for it 10 times over. Now they’re worth nothing but I still believe a thermal is game changing. They literally cannot hide.

I think a threaded river 10/22, a small thermal and a .22rimfire suppressor would go a long way to eliminating some unwanted pests in a very efficient manor.

I always hear people say fur isn’t worth anything so no trapping is going on thus the increased number of predators and less game animals. Well, the way I see it is worth money or not the fur bearing animals need kept in check to accomplish my goals. So I’m all in on harvesting them.

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
I see them "on sale" periodically, but I've got "Blutarsky's GPA* " level of experience with thermal scopes. Other than trusting a brand of scope I'm familiar with, I've got no idea if I'm buying/spending too much or too little on an item like this. Plus the "fun suppressor" is periodically auditing the Cabelas Club card for "discretionary spending". Dadblammit.

* 0.0 - e.g. none whatsoever.

BluesBucksNHuskers

Running Back
Elite Member
I see them "on sale" periodically, but I've got "Blutarsky's GPA* " level of experience with thermal scopes. Other than trusting a brand of scope I'm familiar with, I've got no idea if I'm buying/spending too much or too little on an item like this. Plus the "fun suppressor" is periodically auditing the Cabelas Club card for "discretionary spending". Dadblammit.

* 0.0 - e.g. none whatsoever.

I’m with you, I know literally nothing about the differences - minus every step of research I hit seems to say the same thing as buying any other sort of glass. “But once/cry once” - just spend the extra money and be done rather than trying to find the “best value”

BluesBucksNHuskers

Running Back
Elite Member
The justification of a thermal is the great debate! Just imagine 15 years ago when a coon was with $20. Could have paid for it 10 times over. Now they’re worth nothing but I still believe a thermal is game changing. They literally cannot hide.

I think a threaded river 10/22, a small thermal and a .22rimfire suppressor would go a long way to eliminating some unwanted pests in a very efficient manor.

I always hear people say fur isn’t worth anything so no trapping is going on thus the increased number of predators and less game animals. Well, the way I see it is worth money or not the fur bearing animals need kept in check to accomplish my goals. So I’m all in on harvesting them.

Oh god, if coon hides were still $20 I’d have already bought the fanciest thermal I could find and ordered the sexiest AR build I could fathom.

One night in my kayak along one of the public lakes within 30 minutes of my house and I’d have my money back

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
I’m with you, I know literally nothing about the differences - minus every step of research I hit seems to say the same thing as buying any other sort of glass. “But once/cry once” - just spend the extra money and be done rather than trying to find the “best value”
You're not helping, Goddammit. ;)

dsbigred1

Wide Receiver
tPB OG

The biologist we’ve worked with has repeatedly said that coons stealing eggs is the biggest cause of low turkey numbers… obviously that isn’t the same for all habitats, but we have an over-abundance of coons, and could have one in every trap nearly every day.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
How far from Omaha?

Daddy

Running Back
Elite Member

Might be a dumb question, but I'm sure I've asked dumber, are raccoons considered vermin and therefore you can trap/shoot as many as you want?

Also, what happens if you're trying to trap one animal in season and another is on your trap and dead. Report it to the game warden and off you go?

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds