Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Outdoors thread (3 Viewers)

tman87

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
My parents own and live on a private 13 acre old sand pit lake in NE Nebraska. Will be going back to visit leaving MT on July 1st. Will catch big fish almost every cast. I prefer fly fishing, they have a large dock with another floating dock attached out into the lake, with a diving board out on the end of the floating dock. Perfect place to stand on the diving board so I can cast about 200 degrees in any direction. You can see the big bass and big bluegills easily. There are also huge crappie, but they are deeper and can't catch them on a fly rod. There are some nice catfish in the lake, I usually catch one each time I visit (only get back once a year at this point). Landing a 5 to 10l b cat on a fly rod is some fun. It is not the same as fly fishing here in Montana - some of the best fly fishing rivers you can find here in the states (yellowstone, madison, big hole, flat head, etc). You never catch as many fish on rivers, but when you do, it is so rewarding. Fly fishing is about the vibe and experience mostly, but you always want to catch some fish. I also do high mountain lake fly fishing here in the summers. Hike up 5 to 10 miles in the high country, usually close to the tree line. Amazing experience.

We also troll with my dad's small pontoon in their lake. Doesn't much matter what you have on, jig of any color, etc. They bite. They really hit spinner lures, but the 3 prong hooks cause a lot of damage to a fish at times. I usually bend the barbs back with a pliers if I use spinners, but my dad doesn't like me using spinners. We just catch and release, so don't want to kill any fish.

There are some walleye in there too, but not many. Too many can clean out the lake of pan fish.

It's a beautiful north east Nebraska environment. So glad my parents bought that old gravel pit (70 acres of sand and then the lake) 27 years back. So relaxing to hang at. Completely different than where I live in Montana, but beautiful in it's own right. Just a mile from the Elkhorn River, which I grew up on. We always take at least one Elkhorn canoe trip when we are back visiting in July. Some of my favorite things to do ever.

BushAK

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
tPB OG
If I’m by myself I hate taking pictures of fish. I’m at the Russian River in the Kenai. Sockeye are running so it’s combat fishing unless you are me. I’m throwing flesh flies below where the guys are cutting up the fish. It’s like shooting fish in a barrel for rainbows 15-20 inches.

Attachments

• 03EBCF62-C52C-4531-8641-06B45CD78F00.jpeg
    03EBCF62-C52C-4531-8641-06B45CD78F00.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 8
  • 8460306E-58D9-4D7A-BB38-5D552FB42457.jpeg
    8460306E-58D9-4D7A-BB38-5D552FB42457.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 8
  • F58EEC74-A5D2-41B3-B2EE-96945C43C6C5.jpeg
    F58EEC74-A5D2-41B3-B2EE-96945C43C6C5.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 6
  • 9BA28F39-F97E-4F88-B01F-5E7E318FB61A.jpeg
    9BA28F39-F97E-4F88-B01F-5E7E318FB61A.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 9

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Just got back from Otter Tail yesterday. Didn't fish Otter Tail much because their ramps suck and buddy just had a small boat. Found the lake we should have been fishing on the whole time the last day. Lots of cool lakes in that area though. Would like to get there in late May some year.

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
Just got back from Otter Tail yesterday. Didn't fish Otter Tail much because their ramps suck and buddy just had a small boat. Found the lake we should have been fishing on the whole time the last day. Lots of cool lakes in that area though. Would like to get there in late May some year.
Haven't been to Otter Tail since ... 1966. Not kidding. I have fond memories of that family vacation, though.

HuskerPAC

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Have a new hunt to look forward to in October (pending wife’s approval as we will have 2 kids under 2 and I already have a 5 day bow hunt scheduled that month).

After 5 years of putting in, finally drew a rifle antelope buck tag for Nebraska. Harrison here I come! Failed on elk draw again, but one of these years…

TreedHusker

Defensive Lineman
Have a new hunt to look forward to in October (pending wife’s approval as we will have 2 kids under 2 and I already have a 5 day bow hunt scheduled that month).

After 5 years of putting in, finally drew a rifle antelope buck tag for Nebraska. Harrison here I come! Failed on elk draw again, but one of these years…
Failed in the elk draw as well. Colorado OTC, here I come.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds