Welcome to the forum 👋, Visitor

To access the forum content and all our services, you must register or log in to the forum. Becoming a member of the forum is completely free.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Official Nebraska Cardiac Beaver Slayers Offseason Baseball Thread

I see he’s at $500k now, what was he before? And where does that put him in the conference pecking order for coach pay? Two conference titles in 4 (or 5 whichever way you look at it considering Covid) seasons, he deserves being near the top.
Edit: ponyboy, any intel if they are working on pay increases for assistant coaches?

$400,000 with 2 years left on his contract. This was a must commitment from NU.

I don't have any updates on other topics, yet. Hoping to before the month is over.

I think I just read top 2 in conference and top 20 nationally.

I think $500K puts him just outside the T20, nationally.

To my knowledge, within the B1G...
1) Savage at UCLA - $800,000+
2) Wasikowski at Oregon - $650,000+
3) Bolt at Nebraska - $500,000
4) Smith at Ohio State - $460,000 (initial contract, not sure if he got a raise)
5) Heller at Cockeye - $400,000+
- Haire, new HC at Ohio State (previously Campbell), is unknown to me. Their former HC Bill Mosiello made $460,000+ this past season.
- No idea what Stankiewicz at UCS makes.

Bolt should be okay with his salary, for now, compared to others. He doesn't have the accomplishments of Savage or Waz, but he does have more accomplishments than any other B1G coach at their respective school. The 5-year contract is just as important as the $500K salary (was $400K this past season).

How quickly they forget about the 2 missed tournaments in a row…

How quickly you forgot 2 conference titles in 4 years. Heck, we hadn't won a conference tournament title since 2005, which is also the last time NU won a conference title (reg season or tourney) 2 times in 4 years.

How quickly you forgot a regional championship appearance, first time since circa 2007.

Last edited:
It's wild to me that only one school in this conference pays its coach more than half a million per year.

2, UCLA & Oregon, but ya it's crazy. Don't know about USC & Ohio State's new Head Coach. Washington has a new HC too, but I can't imagine he demanded a big(ger) salary.

How quickly you forgot 2 conference titles in 4 years. Heck, we hadn't won a conference tournament title since 2005, which is also the last time NU won a conference title (reg season or tourney) 2 times in 4 years.

How quickly you forgot a regional championship appearance, first time since circa 2007.
How quickly you forget the missed big 10 tourney. Pretty bad considering the whole conference is dogshit.

Nebraska Baseball Head Coach Will Bolt announced Tuesday the hiring of Derek Roy as Director of Player Development.

“We are excited to welcome Derek to Lincoln,” said Bolt. “Derek brings a variety of experience and is a great asset to our staff. His experience with data and analytics will benefit our student-athletes, and I look forward to him joining our program.”

Along with Roy, Garrett Plumlee and Cole Evans join the NU staff as the team’s strength coach and graduate manager.

“Garrett is a great addition to our program and his experience with the Nashville Sounds, TCU and Accelerate Performance Enhancement Center show his ability and success working with high-level baseball players,” added Bolt. “Cole has been one of our leaders for the last two seasons and knows what it takes to be a part of Husker Baseball. I look forward to him beginning his coaching career in our program.”

Roy joins the Huskers with three years of coaching experience, with stops at Georgia State, Wake Technical Community College and William Peace.

In one season at Georgia State, Roy assisted with all aspects of the pitching staff and player development, heading the data and analytics for the Panthers and helping with scouting reports.

Prior to Georgia State, he spent one season at Wake Technical Community College as the recruiting coordinator and pitching coach in 2023. Roy led a recruiting class that led the Eagles to a six-win improvement and had 13 players move on to a four-year university, including four all-region selections.

Roy began his coaching career as a volunteer assistant coach at William Peace in 2022, working with the pitchers and assisting with player development and scouting reports.

Roy has served the last three summers as the pitching coach for the Holly Springs Salamanders in the Coastal Plains League. Roy’s pitching staff finished third in the division in ERA, K/9, WHIP and saves to help the Salamanders reach their highest win total in the organization’s history in 2022.

Along with his time spent coaching in the college ranks and with the Salamanders, Roy has coached National Team Identification Series events for USA Baseball.

Roy played one season at Coker University before finishing his collegiate career at Wake Technical Community College.

Plumlee comes to Lincoln after one season with the Milwaukee Brewers’ Triple-A affiliate Nashville Sounds.

Before his stop in Nashville, Plumlee was a human performance graduate assistant at TCU, working with the baseball and swim and dive programs in 2022-23.

Prior to TCU, Plumlee earned experience working as an intern with the South Alabama football program, Accelerate Performance Enhancement Center and UT Health East Texas.

Evans transitions into a graduate manager role after playing the last two seasons with the Huskers. In his two years with the Big Red, Evans appeared in 105 games while hitting .275 at the plate with 20 doubles, nine home runs and 68 RBI.

Way too early 2025 lineup:

C: Buettenback
1B: Sanderson
2B: Stokes
3B: Overbeek
SS: Carey
OF: Frost
OF: Silva
OF: Swanson
DH: Stone

SP1: MM
SP2: Brockett
SP3: Christo
SP4: Walsh
C: ???
1B: ???
LF: Swanson
CF: Buettenback
RF: Sanderson
DH: ???

We've got other options at OF with Jesske and Frost. Or maybe Jesske is your starting catcher? Maybe Sanderson plays first base. We've got some options this year.

Sounds like Tucker Timmerman kicked ass as a stater in the Alaska Baseball League. Maybe he will work his way into one of the starting roles

C: ???
1B: ???
LF: Swanson
CF: Buettenback
RF: Sanderson
DH: ???

We've got other options at OF with Jesske and Frost. Or maybe Jesske is your starting catcher? Maybe Sanderson plays first base. We've got some options this year.

Sounds like Tucker Timmerman kicked ass as a stater in the Alaska Baseball League. Maybe he will work his way into one of the starting roles
Robbie Bohlin will start in the outfield.

Robbie Bohlin will start in the outfield.
We have too many outfielders

Swanson, Sanderson, Buettenbeck, Frost, Jesske, Robbie, Silva

Who plays catcher and first base? Buettenback could be catcher but he was playing outfield this summer, per the OWH today. I thought Sanderson would be the first baseman but folks seem to think he's an outfielder. I suppose we still have Stone as well.

We have too many outfielders

Swanson, Sanderson, Buettenbeck, Frost, Jesske, Robbie, Silva

Who plays catcher and first base? Buettenback could be catcher but he was playing outfield this summer, per the OWH today. I thought Sanderson would be the first baseman but folks seem to think he's an outfielder. I suppose we still have Stone as well.
Kid from Pickle Smoochers or Hutch JUCO transfer will catch. https://gocreighton.com/sports/baseball/roster/hogan-helligso/7834
Not sure on first base. Outfield will be loaded.

That's a tough non con. We probably need it though playing in the B1G.
Yes it is and you hit the nail on the head. Our RPI and SOS seems to benefit from playing a little tougher non-con. However I do remember Erstad one year played a VERY tough non-con and we started the season something like 2-8. After that he seemed to tone it down just a touch. I don’t remember what year it was but I do remember him talking about backing off such a tough schedule just a bit.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Picture grid mode

You can control the structure where you can open/close images in the grid forum list.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

Close radius

You can use the radius at the corners of the blocks according to your taste by closing/opening it.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Backgrounds are not available!

Background checks are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Back