Welcome to the forum 👋, Visitor

To access the forum content and all our services, you must register or log in to the forum. Becoming a member of the forum is completely free.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Official Nebraska Cardiac Beaver Slayers Offseason Baseball Thread

Yes it is and you hit the nail on the head. Our RPI and SOS seems to benefit from playing a little tougher non-con. However I do remember Erstad one year played a VERY tough non-con and we started the season something like 2-8. After that he seemed to tone it down just a touch. I don’t remember what year it was but I do remember him talking about backing off such a tough schedule just a bit.
The thing is if you play a brutal schedule and go 4-8, it helps so much more than playing an easy one and going 9-3. The easy schedule gives us such a tiny margin of error that it just doesn't seem worth it.

Now, I think the approach this past year was perfect. We played tough teams in the non-conference schedule but not 3 top 10 teams.

However I do remember Erstad one year played a VERY tough non-con and we started the season something like 2-8. After that he seemed to tone it down just a touch. I don’t remember what year it was but I do remember him talking about backing off such a tough schedule just a bit.
We also had an RPI of like 23 that year and would have been a 2 seed somewhere except we were disqualified because we were 1 game under .500 (we lost to eventual CWS team Indiana in the B1G championship with Schwarber.) I think we even ended up ranked in a few polls despite not going to the postseason. That was a good team.

But that was an extreme. We played one of the toughest schedules the nation that year. I think you have to schedule tough but not that tough.

Last edited:
I wonder how much of this is true in the new Big ten with some better teams but they're probably some need for some difficult scheduling still.
The four pac 12 schools that came in all had a better name for baseball than the rest of the Big 10 combined IMO especially since UCLA has actually won a title this century (2015 I think w/o looking it up?) Only way we wouldn’t have to continue to schedule a tough non-con is if we moved to the SEC like some people have rumored we are talking to them because of the whole AAU situation (that discussion is better left on one of the other threads).

The four pac 12 schools that came in all had a better name for baseball than the rest of the Big 10 combined IMO especially since UCLA has actually won a title this century (2015 I think w/o looking it up?) Only way we wouldn’t have to continue to schedule a tough non-con is if we moved to the SEC like some people have rumored we are talking to them because of the whole AAU situation (that discussion is better left on one of the other threads).
I think if you look at the RPI of those teams of the past 10 years Nebraska has a better RPI average than both USC and Washington. Maryland and Indiana both have a better average RPI than all 4 incoming teams. In fact the B1G schedule last year really didn't hurt us at all last year for RPI.

But what this is basically doing is doubling the number of teams that are competitive. So instead of having 5-6 teams with Quad 1 or 2 RPI we will have 9 or 10.

Still not the SEC or ACC of course. Those two conferences are in their own world and that's not changing anytime soon.

BUT, this change is making the B1G SOLIDLY #3 or 4 in the country. We will battle it out with the B12 for #3 for the foreseeable future.

Considering before we joined the B1G they were ranked easily in the double digits as a conference, this is huge.

My question is who will affect who? Will the 4 new teams help us move forward as a conference and challenge the other teams to do more or will they gravitate to us?

One thing that is very interesting is those 4 teams will be in the top 5 in baseball budgets day 1 of joining the conference. Will others increase their budget as a response?

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Picture grid mode

You can control the structure where you can open/close images in the grid forum list.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

Close radius

You can use the radius at the corners of the blocks according to your taste by closing/opening it.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Backgrounds are not available!

Background checks are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Back