Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Official DONU Baseball Off Season Thread (2 Viewers)

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
Some of our projected starters according to Evan Bland

1B: Tyler Stone - jr
2B: Cayden Brumbaugh - RS soph
3B: Josh Overbeek - jr
OF: Riley Silva - Jr

Carey will be the SS - he's a soph

I'm guessing Evans and Anglim will be the other starters at OF to start the year - a senior and rs junior

Caron or Columbus at C - a junior and a senior

So we will have a pretty experienced team going into the season

PonyBoy

Cornerback
Insider
Some of our projected starters according to Evan Bland

1B: Tyler Stone - jr
2B: Cayden Brumbaugh - RS soph
3B: Josh Overbeek - jr
OF: Riley Silva - Jr

Carey will be the SS - he's a soph

I'm guessing Evans and Anglim will be the other starters at OF to start the year - a senior and rs junior

Caron or Columbus at C - a junior and a senior

So we will have a pretty experienced team going into the season

Solid work by Evan. Any chance you can share the entire article. Couple notes off the above:

3B is expected to be a platoon, pending if opponent starts LHP or RHP.

OF corners it'll be either Anglim, likely the starter if we had a game next weekend, or Evans but I don't see both unless Swanson is a DH. Whomever doesn't start could be a late game defensive replacement as Swanny is our worse OF'er from a defensive standpoint. I assume Sanderson will be a DH, but that's not for certain so he's another option for OF.

Caron so far is healthy and expected to be our weekend game 1 & 3 starter at C with Columbus taking game 2. Columbus also gives us a really good option to rest Caron during the week, if needed.

We're the deepest, options wise offensively/defensively, we've been under Bolt. Same with pitching however, a lot of that is youth. Childress has all kinds of big spin-rate/velo arms to work with.

Christo had another bad outing this week, that's 2 in a row. Frahm has bounced back from TJ surgery and feels the best he's ever felt; dominating in 2 of his 3 live appearances so far (up to 95/96). I'm pretty sure Daiss has some soreness and hopeful it's nothing serious as he's been really good so far minus his last outing he pulled himself from. One of the Canadians is out (not Caleb Clark), not sure of it's an extended period of time or for the entire season.

I wish weekends 1 & 2 are reversed, but it is what it is. Super excited to see this team play someone else.

Kaladin

Elite Member
LINCOLN — The young men in red jerseys and gray pants spread out around the Hawks Center field. They were hard to tell apart.
Sure, 6-foot-7 freshman pitcher Carson Jasa stood a bit taller on the first day of team practice Friday. Junior infielder Aaron Manias milled about with his right arm in a sling fresh off shoulder surgery. Some players wore hats with flat bills, others rounded.
But Nebraska baseball observers from a distance mostly need a roster sheet, and not just because 25 of the 42 Huskers joined the team last fall. Body types are similar. NU could list most of its pitchers at 6-foot-3, 225 pounds and not be too far off. With fewer than three weeks until opening weekend at the high-profile Shriners Children’s College Showdown in Texas, so much interchangeability has lineup combinations and pitching assignments as certain as long-range weather forecasts.

Maybe — just maybe — Nebraska has found big depth.
Will Bolt knows how it sounds. The fifth-year Nebraska coach from suburban Houston is familiar with the old football saying that if you have two quarterbacks, you really have none. He knows how it feels, too, not being able to pencil in an All-America middle infield and Friday-Saturday tandem of starting pitchers that were all highly drafted last July.

“It’s a bit comforting knowing there’s a lot of candidates to start and it’s a little uncomfortable saying, ‘Hey, we don’t know who those guys are just yet,’” Bolt said. “Because there are a lot.”
The Haymarket Park-sized question for Nebraska in 2024 isn’t whether new stars will emerge — they tend to, as a steady stream of MLB picks and all-conference honors can attest. It’s how wide the circle of trust will extend as the Huskers aim to end a two-year NCAA tournament drought.

Lack of depth has undermined NU in recent seasons. The school’s best high-end draft crop in 15 years last spring produced a 33-22-1 record that wasn’t close to an at-large bid. The Huskers didn’t settle on a third starter until April and went 6-6 in midweek games while never knowing who would take the ball first in those contests. When a key bat needed a breather, scoring dipped. What the team calls “Championship Sunday” — those pivotal weekend series finales — led to a frustrating 3-5-1 mark.
Nebraska ran out of pitching in regional losses in 2019 and 2021. It couldn’t absorb injuries and ineffectiveness in the three other full campaigns since its breakthrough Big Ten title in 2017.

Do the Huskers have appreciably more options now? No telling for sure until another team is in the opposite dugout, coaches say. Players see it, though. Junior Drew Christo — one of upwards of 10 pitchers who could realistically start games — only knows he’ll embrace whatever job he earns. Junior outfielder Garrett Anglim is part of an offense that could create a two-deep at most spots without a steep drop-off.

“I don’t think we have set roles right now and that just speaks to the level of competitiveness that we’ve had,” Christo said.
Said Anglim: “Even beyond one through nine, we have guys in the lineup who are ready to step up at any time.”

From where has the perceived depth come? Recruiting, for one. Nebraska brought in what is widely considered among the best junior-college classes in the country. The nine-man haul includes likely positional starters in switch-hitting Joshua Overbeek (third base), Tyler Stone (first base) and speedy Riley Silva (centerfield) as well as projected high-leverage arms in Mason McConnaughey, Evan Borst and potential closer Casey Daiss.

Meanwhile, transfers Bobby Olsen (Brown) and Grant Cleavinger (Tulane) bring experience as starter/reliever options. Rans Sanders (Omaha) and Kyle Froehlich (Northwestern State) are proven back-of-the-bullpen assets. Outfielder Clay Bradford (NCAA Division II St. Mary’s) hit .419 last year and likely won’t crack the opening day lineup.

Nebraska’s name-image-likeness support externally and athletic department investment internally are new difference makers in acquiring additional quality role players, Bolt said. As of last spring, the Huskers were among roughly 50 Division I schools — there are nearly 300 in college baseball — to offer student-athletes financial rewards of $5,980 per year for meeting established academic benchmarks. Perks like training-table meals aren’t available everywhere either.

“It allows us to fill more quality depth with some of those things than maybe feeling like you’re going to get a star transfer to come to Nebraska,” Bolt said. “Not that it can’t happen, but I think you’re going to see the ability for us to build more depth this way.”

Health is also working in the Huskers’ favor — they essentially add four contributors who all were on the team but missed the entirety of last season with injuries in pitchers Trey Frahm and Hayden Lewis, utilityman Cayden Brumbaugh and infielder Bryce Hughes. Brumbaugh, once an Oklahoma State transfer, is likely to start at second base while the former top in-state recruit Frahm is throwing with velocity in the mid-90s as a projected reliever.

The freshman class could produce quickly too. Bolt called the young pitchers probably the best he’s had at Nebraska — “those guys are going to get an opportunity right away,” he said. That’s coveted former prospects like Ryan Harrahill, Tucker Timmerman and Ty Horn, among others. Designated hitter/outfielder Case Sanderson has earned consistent praise for his advanced approach at the plate after an eye-opening summer.
Depth through development is another potential twist after NU brought in two new assistant coaches. Mike Sirianni will coach first base and has integrated new drills and ideas for Husker hitters to consider. Anglim, for example, said trying different hand placements and changing the movement of his back shoulder on swings has netted positive results behind the scenes.

A bigger impact could come from the return of Rob Childress — who served as a Husker support staffer the previous two seasons — as pitching coach, where he once led construction of the program’s best staffs in the early 2000s before taking over at Texas A&M. The 55-year-old emphasizes simple, repeatable deliveries to improve command. Nebraska boasts a slew of pitchers with considerable swing-and-miss ability who are bona fide all-Big Ten candidates should they cut down on walks.

NU’s upgraded 56-game schedule relative to last year will give it ample opportunity to play into June even without winning the Big Ten, where early favorites appear to be Cockeye and Indiana as older and returning NCAA qualifiers. Midweek tests will be tougher as the likes of Wichita State, Kansas and Kansas State appear more often.

More arms make it more manageable, Bolt said. If Nebraska can approach a 3-to-1 strikeout-to-walk ratio on the mound – it was at 2.46 a season ago, 30th nationally — it would signal an elite staff. Can pitchers get three outs, take a seat and come out for three more? Do they work fast? Can they mix in some quick innings?

The Huskers, for the first time under Bolt, may be able to work backward with their pitching. That is, asking a starter to go five frames before letting a relay of bullpen arms finish. Six NU relievers have been closers at some point in their college careers.

Last May the coach sat in the bowels of Charles Schwab Field after a Big Ten tournament ouster and identified five games as the margin between Nebraska ending its season then and continuing on.

Now it’s time to see how much more strength in numbers is worth.

Kaladin

Elite Member
I wish weekends 1 & 2 are reversed, but it is what it is. Super excited to see this team play someone else.
Would be big if we can win 2 out of 3 in week 1. Pry good for team confidence since we've started the year out like crap the last two seasons.

Our non-conference schedule looks kind of tame compared to the last two seasons, hopefully that doesn't bite us in the ass later on.

PonyBoy

Cornerback
Insider
Would be big if we can win 2 out of 3 in week 1. Pry good for team confidence since we've started the year out like crap the last two seasons.

Our non-conference schedule looks kind of tame compared to the last two seasons, hopefully that doesn't bite us in the ass later on.

1 of 3 works for me.

I believe our non-con is much improved.

Last edited:

PonyBoy

Cornerback
Insider
Our non-conference schedule looks kind of tame compared to the last two seasons

This is non-conference only. And I apologize for the length of it.

2024 schedule*
Q1 = 2
Q2 = 10
Q3 = 11
Q4 = 7 (Baylor not expected to be a Q4, but is listed in Q4 for purposes of this discussion)
*Based on opponents finish in 2023

2023 schedule
Q1 games = 1
Q2 games = 3
Q3 games = 13
Q4 games = 11
  • We reduced 6 non-conference Q3/Q4 games, which is huge.
  • We increased Q2 by 7 games.
  • We increased Q1 by 1 game (KSU expected to be Q1, so there's 2 more +/- but they're factored as a Q2 for now based on their 2023 season).
Keep in mind, the Quads are based on a teams 2023 finish as that's how schedules are put together with a few other factors (returning players, portal adds, their expected schedule, 2022 season for Quad finish is less factored, etc).

With assurances from the B1G last year to improve our conference schedule, the 2024 non-conference plays large. And here's why.

B1G only
Q1 2024 = 9
Q1 2023 = 8 (2 were in B1G tournament)
9 v 6 scheduled

Q2 2024 = 9
Q2 2023 = 5 (2 were in B1G tournament)
9 v 3 scheduled

Q3 2024 = 0
Q3 2023 = 6
0 v 6 scheduled

Q4 2024 = 6
Q4 2023 = 9
6 v 9 scheduled

**The B1G tournament assures us, at minimum, 2 more games against Q1 or Q2 (nothing lower).

2024 v 2023 total schedule
Q1 2024 = 11
Q1 2023 = 9
+2 this season

Q2 2024 = 19
Q2 2023 = 8
+11 this season

Q3 2024 = 11
Q3 2023 = 19
-8 this season (which is a good thing)

Q4 2024 = 13
Q4 2023 = 20
-7 this season (which is a good thing)
  • 2024 has 30 total Q1/Q2 games (13 more games against Q1/Q2 compared to 2023)
  • 2023 has 24 total Q3/Q4 games (15 less games against Q3/Q4 compared to 2024)

The 2024 schedule is legit. On paper. Good enough for us to host a Regional.

SlumpBuster

Cornerback
Elite Member
Man I'd kill for another season of baseball. If I could play one sport forever, it'd be baseball.
I'm 44 and still play. Our league is mostly early mid 20s - mid 30s. Wood bats, same rules, everything.

Freaking LOVE it. I still hit pretty well. Don't have near the arm I used to tho.

Goskers07

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
I'm 44 and still play. Our league is mostly early mid 20s - mid 30s. Wood bats, same rules, everything.

Freaking LOVE it. I still hit pretty well. Don't have near the arm I used to tho.
Sounds like a similar league to what I played in about a decade ago. Jealous.

HCFord1

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG

Unfortunately I think I'd need a third shoulder surgery before I attempted anything like that.

Kaladin

Elite Member
Christo was atrocious again yesterday, his third straight pathetic outing. Timmerman continues to impress, as does Worthley.
Well that’s great to hear

I trust Childress to get him figured out

Ironwardog

Linebacker
Elite Member
Christo was atrocious again yesterday, his third straight pathetic outing. Timmerman continues to impress, as does Worthley.
What’s he go going on? Is he struggling to adapt to Childress’ slider vs Christie? Or is he just flat out not locating any breaking balls? Childress was supposed to be known to teach a good slider wasn’t he? I remember chamberlain eating batters for breakfast with that damned pitch under Childress when I was in college.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds