Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

***Official don’t buy any bullshit they try selling you, offseason thread*** (9 Viewers)

Irv

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
It’s really not an apple to apples comparison to look at how an OC operates within a system of 20+ years of stability that has a winning culture in place and the OC at year one of a massive overhaul of an organization that has failed consistently for most of a decade.

I’m not at all sold on Satterfield yet, but the two guys are not playing with the same hand of cards, no matter how comparable the defenses might be on paper (and, similarly, no matter how great White has done, his defense is not yet the equal of what Cockeye has built, nor should it be).

Irv

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
And the thing is most Husker fans didn’t drool over the hire this time like they usually do. Most of them were like prove it to me. We have been told this guy will turn it around time and time again and it’s the same shit.
This is true but part of the problem. Rhule, like Riley, is walking into a significant portion of a fan base that is looking for reasons to declare him a failure. It’s toxic.

The previous guy walked into a situation where the vast majority of fans were looking for reasons to declare him a success. He faced no headwinds for four years.

Becoming a Rhule hater in year one is not going to help. Skepticism is fine, but we are in a cycle where a bunch of our fans want to destroy the guy who comes in without Nebraska ties. It’s not helping. The program will not get better for it.

Matt Rhule is not getting fired anytime soon, so broadcasting to the world that we have decided he sucks is not going to turn the program around.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
This is true but part of the problem. Rhule, like Riley, is walking into a significant portion of a fan base that is looking for reasons to declare him a failure. It’s toxic.

The previous guy walked into a situation where the vast majority of fans were looking for reasons to declare him a success. He faced no headwinds for four years.

Becoming a Rhule hater in year one is not going to help. Skepticism is fine, but we are in a cycle where a bunch of our fans want to destroy the guy who comes in without Nebraska ties. It’s not helping. The program will not get better for it.

Matt Rhule is not getting fired anytime soon, so broadcasting to the world that we have decided he sucks is not going to turn the program around.
I think Riley walked into a hornets nest since he was following a coach who always won 9 games. Husker fans were split on the Bo firing. Very few Husker fans were sad to see Frost go after 5 years of losing. I think Rhule is different than Riley because we have lost so long. Husker fans are to the point of shut up and show me. I haven’t met any who despise Rhule or anything like that. Their stance is they will believe it when they see it from a winning perspective.

Pepe Silvia

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
just to drive home how historically inept this offense was

- no 1000 yard passer (first time since 1998)
- no QB threw for 200 yards in a game (first time since 2003)
- no 500 yard rusher
- leading receiver had 310 yards
- 3 100 yard rushing games (2 of those were against La Tech)
- no player scored more than 5 TDs (lowest since 1967)

this team basically combined the passing offense of Frank Solich with the run offense of Mike Riley

dom91932

Cornerback
Elite Member
just to drive home how historically inept this offense was

- no 1000 yard passer (first time since 1998)
- no QB threw for 200 yards in a game (first time since 2003)
- no 500 yard rusher
- leading receiver had 310 yards
- 3 100 yard rushing games (2 of those were against La Tech)
- no player scored more than 5 TDs (lowest since 1967)

this team basically combined the passing offense of Frank Solich with the run offense of Mike Riley
1700934881765.gif

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
@Jim14510 this is the justification and I don’t think it’s refutable. Our defense was just as good as Cockeye’s but gave up more points because of the frequency they were having to defend with no breaks (3&O with a bunch of passes or turnovers) and way short fields. We win more games if the defense gives up fewer points, regardless of if our offense scores fewer points, and they do that if we don’t put the defense in bad spots over and over again.
You can think that. It's not a td per game difference though.

You guys are ignoring the alternative in your hypothetical that the more conservative offense puts defense in worse position. It also decreases points scored.

Pepe Silvia

Wide Receiver
Elite Member

You guys are ignoring the alternative in your hypothetical that the more conservative offense puts defense in worse position. It also decreases points scored.
we're all just speculating, and the big X factor with that hypothetical is the turnovers. those put our defense in shitty situations all year and Cockeye's defense didn't have that issue.

here's another hypothetical - what if everything else is the same but we trade punters with Cockeye? is that alone enough to get 1 more win and be bowl eligible?

Chi7397

Cornerback
Elite Member
And the thing is most Husker fans didn’t drool over the hire this time like they usually do. Most of them were like prove it to me. We have been told this guy will turn it around time and time again and it’s the same shit.

If only he was a former player and/or from Nebraska, but alas….

Reactions: Irv

Turn Down for What

Running Back
Elite Member
Not me. I could give a shit where a guy is from. Just win. Rhule had four chances to win one more game. Four! And he went Oer in November. That's on him. Plain and simple. He makes it to a bowl game this year (he should've) Nebraska fans are singing a different tune right now. There's no reason to sugarcoat it. Rhule was a failure in season one.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
we're all just speculating, and the big X factor with that hypothetical is the turnovers. those put our defense in shitty situations all year and Cockeye's defense didn't have that issue.

here's another hypothetical - what if everything else is the same but we trade punters with Cockeye? is that alone enough to get 1 more win and be bowl eligible?
Anything is hypothetically possible when you lose 5 games by a TD or less. Switch punt returners and you could win one more game with one td and zero return yards every other punt.

BorWhiskey

Ziggy Stardust
Insider
Elite Member

It wouldn't put the defense in a worse position. We get to punt vs turning it over on our own side so frequently.

And, we are a running team that never really felt like it wanted to run the ball. We would have with Ferentz calling the game. Which would lead to more first downs before the punts.

DrinkItIn

Running Back
Elite Member
tPB OG
Holy shit, this thread used to be fun; I am not sure what it turned into.

lucille bluth lol GIF

GBR305

Linebacker
Going into the season I had us as a 4-8/5-7 type of team. I said I'd consider the season a success if we saw proof that the 3-3-5 defense worked in the Big Ten & if we got the offense we were promised, a smashmouth run game in conjunction with a vertical passing attack.

Tony White proved that his defense worked. The problem now is Marcus Satterfield is the worst offensive coordinator in Power 5 & being paid like he's Kliff Kingsbury. Adding to that, Matt Rhule's game management was absolutely dogshit all year. The way we lost these last 4 games was absolutely fucking inexcusable.

Anyone on the Fire Rhule train in year one is insane, but I'm the conductor of the "GET SATTERFIELD THE FUCK OUT OF LINCOLN" train.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds