Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

MLPFC Shit Posting

I can't stand miller lite which is probably why I have no recollection of the Vortex bottle?

oh buddy, it was a scientific breakthrough

f1ce210d.gif

my Dad is almost always a super dark beer guy (I hate them) like Guinness, Buffalo Sweat. all these fancy boy micro brew beers, etc as long as it looks like coffee he loves it

that being said.... nobody has ever accused a baby boomer with lots of disposable income of turning down a marketing stunt

Miller Lite did so well at convincing him he was drinking beer wrong that for a brief time he was pounding GTLFs (great tasting, less filling)

If I think about it I could probably come up with a list of various things like this that he was all over, the "as seen on TV" section at Walmart was made for him

oh buddy, it was a scientific breakthrough

f1ce210d.gif

my Dad is almost always a super dark beer guy (I hate them) like Guinness, Buffalo Sweat. all these fancy boy micro brew beers, etc as long as it looks like coffee he loves it

that being said.... nobody has ever accused a baby boomer with lots of disposable income of turning down a marketing stunt

Miller Lite did so well at convincing him he was drinking beer wrong that for a brief time he was pounding GTLFs (great tasting, less filling)

If I think about it I could probably come up with a list of various things like this that he was all over, the "as seen on TV" section at Walmart was made for him
OK, a rare Vietnam story from me as it's related to beer. The most popular beer in Vietnam was none other than Hamm's. The reason was it was the first beer we got that was in aluminum cans. Every beer before was in steel cans that had an overlapping seam along the side. If they sat in a Conex container for a few months which was pretty much a certainty since we were at the end of the supply chain down in the Mekong Delta, the seam would begin to rust which dramatically affected the taste. Price out the door at the PX for Hamm's was $3.00 a case which was a $.60 cent premium over Bud, Schlitz etc. which was $2.40 a case in the dreaded steel cans.

Mix for cocktails was the hardest thing to get. I'm not ashamed to admit that I had one or three screwdrivers made with Tang. War is hell and all.

Since everything in Vietnam was warm to hot except the showers, beer on the rocks was the rule. Not drinking 90 degree beer even in a war zone.

I wear mine when required, am vaccinated, and quite frankly, I don't want to wear them anymore because I've done my part.
Can’t really blame you or anyone here, but alas, those who haven’t done their part and can’t be troubled to take some pretty easy steps to make things better for their neighbors are a big reason why we’ll be dealing with variants and waves longer than we needed to.

I broke my rule of not engaging on COVID anymore. My bad fellas. Hope everyone is having a good week and not having to deal with it directly with any close family and friends.

It really does evolve into hygiene theater to mask vaccinated people since asymptomatic transmission is exceedingly rare. I learned early on in my public health career that public health messaging is as much public relations as it is the science. It has to make sense and be consistent or you'll get very poor compliance. The messaging from day one has been dreadful and that's why there's push back.
This, on the other hand, all spot on, though Delta has changed the game in early infection among vaccinated (studies are certainly still limited and early).

I’ve said it many times all along that scientific-lay communication is and always has been dreadful and that becomes all too relevant in situations like the present day. There’s only so much leading horses that can be done.

The consistency part is quite literally impossible, but I’m preaching to the choir here. It needed to be better, and could have been better, but a moving target is a moving target. I do find it interesting how masks are the thing but no one talks about washing hands. Guess it’s the regulation piece...can’t really regulate washing hands and a lot of people probably never effectively changed their hand washing habits (though that could have been part of the equation with the drastic drop in flu cases).

Last edited:
This, on the other hand, all spot on, though Delta has changed the game in early infection among vaccinated (studies are certainly still limited and early).

I’ve said it many times all along that scientific-lay communication is and always has been dreadful and that becomes all too relevant in situations like the present day. There’s only so much leading horses that can be done.

The consistency part is quite literally impossible, but I’m preaching to the choir here. It needed to be better, and could have been better, but a moving target is a moving target. I do find it interesting how masks are the thing but no one talks about washing hands. Guess it’s the regulation piece...can’t really regulate washing hands and a lot of people probably never effectively changed their hand washing habits (though that could have been part of the equation with the drastic drop in flu cases).

Hand washing and the excessive use of hand sanitizer products. I keep a pump bottle in the door of my truck and it’s the 1st thing I do after opening the door: lather up. I hate the smell and it’s hard on skin, but it beats the heck out of the alternative.

Overall cleanliness, not having your nose stuck straight up somebody's ass in checkout lines, or any public place, staying the fuck at home when sick, etc. I notice way more handwashing now when people leave public restrooms here in "dumbass" kansas than I ever did pre China virus.

Why does the fact that the overwhelming majority of those hospitalized with covid, happen to be deficient in Vitamin D also go unrecognized by all of the talking heads?

Odd place to bring your mask argument btw. I think 90% of the regulars in this thread are vaxxed up. Maybe try the Hyvee board with posters like Big Tone.

Last edited:
Just as a point of clarity, there’s very little evidence (to date) that washing hands has an impact on preventing the spread of COVID. I think my point was missed there, which is my fault.

Helps quite a bit with a lot of the other nasty bugs though (masks as well!), so keep on washing.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back