Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

MLPFC Shit Posting

Yeah for a lot of the summer we were but we were getting just enough to get by until it turned on later in the summer. The biggest thing was that it stayed so much cooler last summer. Corn loves 80's and then a cool nights. We had average beans but some of the best corn we've ever grown where we didn't get hail. My parent's place got completely pummeled with softball size hail in the last week of August. Got a lot of his crops.
We just missed the really bad hail storms that wiped out a big swath around Exeter up through York and Seward. Just completely wiped fields out the first two weeks of June. Fields were just completely mowed off, thousands of acres of replant.

So like circa 2005? It was fantastic for a little while there. I was old enough to hunt about 2 or 3 years there before all that CRP got ripped up. There was tons of it back then. There was a decade between then and now where it was pretty terrible but they have made a little bit of a comeback. I'll go 2 or 3 times a year and usually we get a few.

I have a cousin that married well. His wife's dad is a farmer nearing retirement and he put several farms into CRP. He will take me and his friends on that a couple times a year and usually it's pretty good. It's a far cry from what you remember but at least it's worth going again. There was a lot of years there where no one even gave a thought to try hunting any.

Edit: Any idea whose ground you hunted?
Would have actually been late 80s to mid 90s. Think the CRP was just taking off. We would just drive around and if something looked good ask permission. Occasionally shoot one out the window.

We just missed the really bad hail storms that wiped out a big swath around Exeter up through York and Seward. Just completely wiped fields out the first two weeks of June. Fields were just completely mowed off, thousands of acres of replant.
We drove through that traveling out west to see our daughter. It looked brutal, even many weeks later. Mrs. LHR is a farmer’s daughter, and we both wondered how many families got wiped out by that storm. Helluva way to earn a living.

Sounded like there were several shitty hail storms along I80 this year. Not good at all, but at least it was soon enough they could replant.

Just guessing from what we have around in southeast of the state, not nearly as good. Between coyotes getting them and not nearly as much native grass for habitat, they just aren’t around as much

Coyotes are actually beneficial to pheasant habitat believe it or not. They contribute to controlling other species much more detrimental to pheasant and quail, such as Turkeys.

When Turkeys exploded in this area back in the Mid 2000s our P&Q numbers went to shit. We didn't have squat for Coyotes as that was the era where mange took a hit on em.

Good thing you went to Cali. Its gonna suck big time down here in about 48 hrs.

I think you mentioned Charlie a few pages back. I lived in Gainesville at the time. Was that the one that went east to west over south Florida, then reversed course in the gulf by Tampa and hit north Florida?

Coyotes are actually beneficial to pheasant habitat believe it or not. They contribute to controlling other species much more detrimental to pheasant and quail, such as Turkeys.

Is this a real thing? Can you explain why turkeys are worse for pheasants and quail than coyotes are?

I think you mentioned Charlie a few pages back. I lived in Gainesville at the time. Was that the one that went east to west over south Florida, then reversed course in the gulf by Tampa and hit north Florida?

Is this a real thing? Can you explain why turkeys are worse for pheasants and quail than coyotes are?

Turkeys are more or less a scavenger, think of them more like a buzzard especially in most birds nesting seasons that nest on the ground. If a turkey stumbles across a nest of Quail or pheasant eggs they'll bust it up and eat em. I've even heard they'll eat fresh hatchlings.

Quail can fly when they're the size of a large bumble bee. Much more evasive and intelligent than a turkey. Coyotes thrive off rabbits and rodents and especially Turkeys if they're available.

Fucking chicken hawks are harder on Quail and pheasant than anything though. It's illegal but shoot everyone one of those Fucking birds you see

Used to go pheasant hunting in your backyard when I was a youngish. Limit by 9 or 10 and home for the 2nd half of the 11 am game.

How is it these days?
Just guessing from what we have around in southeast of the state, not nearly as good. Between coyotes getting them and not nearly as much native grass for habitat, they just aren’t around as much
Pheasant population around Beebeetown down 90% since I was a kid. Predators, herbicides and much less ground cover along fence lines, creeks and terraces. Sad……

Have a buyer that comes to My Sale every Thursday from Pender. He said 30 miles north of him it's bad bad. Corn didn't get tall enough to chop, and they're baling beans now/were
Yeah that area is really bad. I’m in this “exceptional drought” region as well but those guys east and north of me were in it quite a bit earlier than me.
54CF8A8C-3830-4F9A-9466-80222A189B2B.png

665F722B-E029-4324-B4A9-B7EDF8B6F845.png

Yeah that area is really bad. I’m in this “exceptional drought” region as well but those guys east and north of me were in it quite a bit earlier than me.
View attachment 14263

View attachment 14262

SWNE and NWKS on back to back years in D4

dd9e5d94-19d5-4e37-95ee-2f7574cf6059_text.gif

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back