Welcome to the forum 👋, Visitor

To access the forum content and all our services, you must register or log in to the forum. Becoming a member of the forum is completely free.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Latest expansion rumor…

While adding cal and Stanford don’t really move the needle big picture, it would be nice having two more cupcakes added. It’s already gonna be a murders row with the current/future big ten teams.
Fuck Cal, those Libtards will try to screw up everything. I've seen where they were trying to pass legislation about limits on what coaches can make. Also talks of taxing NIL $$$ if the games are played in California. I'm good with USC & UCLA and can't argue with adding Stanford as they are a well respected school. But nobody respects Cal, place is a dump and could give 2 shits about sports. Stanford would bring the same TV Market. Let them waste away in the Mtn West Conference with Oregon St & Wash St. It seems that Oregon & Washington are being considered. Once Phil Knight dies I get the feeling Oregon will become quite insignificant without his money being funneled in. I'd rather see us add Utah, ASU or Arizona over Cal.

Fuck Cal, those Libtards will try to screw up everything. I've seen where they were trying to pass legislation about limits on what coaches can make. Also talks of taxing NIL $$$ if the games are played in California. I'm good with USC & UCLA and can't argue with adding Stanford as they are a well respected school. But nobody respects Cal, place is a dump and could give 2 shits about sports. Stanford would bring the same TV Market. Let them waste away in the Mtn West Conference with Oregon St & Wash St. It seems that Oregon & Washington are being considered. Once Phil Knight dies I get the feeling Oregon will become quite insignificant without his money being funneled in. I'd rather see us add Utah, ASU or Arizona over Cal.
I would also prefer Utah over Cal.

Personally, screw Oregon and Washington as well and would rather see them add more schools from the east coast such as VA Tech & North Carolina. It sucks staying up late on the east coast watching late games on the west coast.

In their current BOT meeting, FSU president and ad basically said they are looking to get out of the acc unless something radical with media rights happens.
So nothing new.

I can't help but wonder how continued decline of bundled cable is going to affect all of this long term. Thus far, it seems as though advertisers and in turn tv partners are happy to pay increasingly larger sums of money for a decreasing number of eyeballs. This seems like it can't go on forever so the Big Ten either has to set out to position itself like the NFL where it has such an attractive product that it can continue to deliver large viewership in the 18-49 demo even as that coincides with the increase with needing to deliver a larger rating, i.e. share of tv sets. Or, the Big Ten needs to start being forward looking in guarding against the risk that the floor drops out on the bundled cable networks if they lose their appetite for paying more money for less reach.

That is an overly wordy way of saying the choice of geographic population vs. brands in this next round of expansion seems to be very important

Probably a good thing that the new Big Ten Commissioner came from a TV/Entertainment background. Wouldn't shock me at all in the future if the Big Ten had it's own streaming package like NFL Sunday Ticket along with it's own version of NFL Redzone. If you add the right teams to get to 20 or 24, you'd probably stand to have a whole lot of subscribers.

This groups up nicely. Let the SEC fight the Big XII for the scraps. Hard to see ND biting on the chance to play every team in that division every year. We'd probably need a flexible scheduling system to convince ND to join.

West:
UCLA
USC
Oregon
Washington
Stanford
Cal

Midwest:
Nebraska
Cockeye
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Purdue
Notre Dame

Central:
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Illinois
Indiana
Northwestern

East:
Penn State
Maryland
Rutgers
North Carolina
Florida State
Clemson

Probably a good thing that the new Big Ten Commissioner came from a TV/Entertainment background. Wouldn't shock me at all in the future if the Big Ten had it's own streaming package like NFL Sunday Ticket along with it's own version of NFL Redzone. If you add the right teams to get to 20 or 24, you'd probably stand to have a whole lot of subscribers.
It does seem like conferences will have to start exploring direct to consumer subscription based models or partner with other streaming services who will pay a premium price for TV rights to drive their own subscriptions (although the economics of streaming services are a disaster at the moment)

It just seems crazy me that media rights keep going up as total viewership numbers go down for lots of entities and it feels like something will have to give at some point

This groups up nicely. Let the SEC fight the Big XII for the scraps. Hard to see ND biting on the chance to play every team in that division every year. We'd probably need a flexible scheduling system to convince ND to join.

West:
UCLA
USC
Oregon
Washington
Stanford
Cal

Midwest:
Nebraska
Cockeye
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Purdue
Notre Dame

Central:
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Illinois
Indiana
Northwestern

East:
Penn State
Maryland
Rutgers
North Carolina
Florida State
Clemson
As long as the conferences are going to be gigantic, I at least hope they do something like this where you have a geographic "pod" that you play each year, which ends up feeling more like the old school conferences affiliations anyway.

West:
UCLA
USC
Oregon
Washington
Stanford
Cal

Midwest:
Nebraska
Cockeye
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Purdue
Notre Dame

Central:
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Illinois
Indiana
Northwestern

East:
Penn State
Maryland
Rutgers
North Carolina
Florida State
Clemson
This would be one HELL of a conference with massive tradition & alumni bases in each division
I’m not sure the SEC could top it

This would be one HELL of a conference with massive tradition & alumni bases in each division
I’m not sure the SEC could top it
B1G should move before the SEC gets a chance IMO. Maybe ND could remain independent in football if they really want and work on some type of scheduling partnership with the B1G.

West:
UCLA
USC
Oregon
Washington
Stanford
Cal

Midwest:
Nebraska
Cockeye
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Purdue
Notre Dame

Central:
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Illinois
Indiana
Northwestern

East:
Penn State
Maryland
Rutgers
North Carolina
Florida State
Clemson
Could move teams between Midwest and central too

West:
UCLA
USC
Oregon
Washington
Stanford
Cal

Midwest:
Nebraska
Cockeye
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Purdue
Notre Dame

Central:
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Illinois
Indiana
Northwestern

East:
Penn State
Maryland
Rutgers
North Carolina
Florida State
Clemson
Gotta add Virginia and Georgia Tech too. So we will need to add more schools to get divisions right

Maybe Utah, maybe Miami, maybe Boston College

Could add Kansas or Duke. Duke is tough though cause it’s an academic powerhouse but we don’t need three teams from the Carolinas

I really feel like we get this all backwards when we think like fans. First you figure out what additions from the potential candidates maximize revenues, considering both incremental media revenue and B1G Consortium incremental research (both on a NPV basis - I am not talking just next year), taking into account the cost of their acquisition. Whatever number of additions you get, you look at the total and design the best scheduling model you can.

Media and University presidents, in the end, aren't going to pay to acquire new members to make divisions or pods work.

Right now the Pac 12 members are cheap - no exit fees and no incoming revenues starting a year from now. Easy to get them at a cut rate. Cal and Stanford add boatloads in B1G Consortium research. Someone on RSS who works at UNMC said going to the B1G drove UNMC's research revenue from $77M a year to upwards of $350M a year now, much of it work that Johns Hopkins needed a partner on. That doesn't include any impact on the Lincoln campus; the poster did not know that first-hand. Cal and Stanford's research capabilities are good enough to offset the football (Stanford has a very good athletic program anyway even if their football sucks right now).

Oregon adds television eyes nationally (Oregon has a fairly small population), Washington is also a good research institution and Washingtom is the 13th largest state in population and the average income of the population is high. It is sort of a once in a lifetime opportunity to bargain purchase these schools, probably don't have to even match the Big 12 payouts for the first few years to get them.

It doesn't sound to me like the ACC is going to bust this year. FSU is making noise but doesn't sound like it will do anything.

California will be fine…

West:
UCLA
USC
Oregon
Washington
Stanford
Cal

Midwest:
Nebraska
Cockeye
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Purdue
Notre Dame

Central:
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Illinois
Indiana
Northwestern

East:
Penn State
Maryland
Rutgers
North Carolina
Florida State
Clemson
I think it will end up something like that.

Need 4 teams for the West, Probably Washington and Oregon, Stanford makes sense, really don't want Cal, rather have Arizona, ASU, Utah or Colorado or even BYU. I think a school from Arizona makes a lot of sense.

Just need one in the middle. Notre Dame is the logical choice, but if they don't want to play then possibly Kansas or Colorado., maybe try and steal Missouri, but they might not be interested.

Lots of possibilities for 3 East teams. I would think that UNC and Virginia would be first choices. Florida St, Clemson and Georgia Tech are possibilities. There will be competition from the SEC. Syracuse or Boston College are also possible.

I'd prefer to add Washington, Oregon, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Notre Dame, UNC, UVa,

I think Washington, Oregon, Stanford, Arizona, Notre Dame, UNC, UVa and Syracuse make the most sense.

I really feel like we get this all backwards when we think like fans. First you figure out what additions from the potential candidates maximize revenues, considering both incremental media revenue and B1G Consortium incremental research (both on a NPV basis - I am not talking just next year), taking into account the cost of their acquisition. Whatever number of additions you get, you look at the total and design the best scheduling model you can.

Media and University presidents, in the end, aren't going to pay to acquire new members to make divisions or pods work.

Right now the Pac 12 members are cheap - no exit fees and no incoming revenues starting a year from now. Easy to get them at a cut rate. Cal and Stanford add boatloads in B1G Consortium research. Someone on RSS who works at UNMC said going to the B1G drove UNMC's research revenue from $77M a year to upwards of $350M a year now, much of it work that Johns Hopkins needed a partner on. That doesn't include any impact on the Lincoln campus; the poster did not know that first-hand. Cal and Stanford's research capabilities are good enough to offset the football (Stanford has a very good athletic program anyway even if their football sucks right now).

Oregon adds television eyes nationally (Oregon has a fairly small population), Washington is also a good research institution and Washingtom is the 13th largest state in population and the average income of the population is high. It is sort of a once in a lifetime opportunity to bargain purchase these schools, probably don't have to even match the Big 12 payouts for the first few years to get them.

It doesn't sound to me like the ACC is going to bust this year. FSU is making noise but doesn't sound like it will do anything.
What's interesting about the report is that it specifically said university presidents were discussing those 4 schools. At least 3 of them are very highly regarded academically. And 2 of those have almost no monetary sports value. But university presidents aren't AD's and don't care.

Like your UNMC numbers indicate, the few million dollars a year you might lose by adding less valuable football schools could easily be made up in research money if you continue to expand your control of the big research schools.

I just tuned into the YouTube channel he was on. Dude was talking BS for 5 min straight. But he’s amassed a Twitter following that think he’s a realignment expert
Yeah, I heard him. I honestly think he's a man who loves the cfb stuff, but also a transgender.

I always had a feeling that he was a guy, but some of the stuff always pointed off with the name Jessica.

BINGO.

Cal should drop hetero sports and stick to tranny sports.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Picture grid mode

You can control the structure where you can open/close images in the grid forum list.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

Close radius

You can use the radius at the corners of the blocks according to your taste by closing/opening it.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Backgrounds are not available!

Background checks are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Back