Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

In Year 4 does Frost get a winning season? (2 Viewers)

In year 4 does Frost get a winning season this year ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
While I will agree to an extent, I would be extremely more invested in another rebuild rather than keeping Frost if he cannot get it done this year. This is has been an undisciplined, sloppy, mistake-prone team for 3 years now. If the same happens this year, then I think we all know that this trend will continue.
Sure, can't really argue there. But then it's the normal "oh, give it 2-3 years so (insert name) can get his recruits and get his philosophy installed and things will be okay". Okay, I myself have said that for the last 2 years, atleast, to be honest. Let's assume the hypothetical that we have another lack luster year and Turd pulls the plug. Hire someone new. What changes other than the unknown of waiting another 2 years at minimum to see for improvement? Just don't have the patience for another rebuild and wait and see.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Spot on for me. If I’m honest, it really should be 8-4.

The pieces are there and in place. Really no excuses.
7-5 is just the minimum to keep me engaged is all. I don't have expectations anymore. But if I were to gamble on Husker Football with friends again, 8-4 is my gamble.

David Webb

JCTJB
Elite Member
Sure, can't really argue there. But then it's the normal "oh, give it 2-3 years so (insert name) can get his recruits and get his philosophy installed and things will be okay". Okay, I myself have said that for the last 2 years, atleast, to be honest. Let's assume the hypothetical that we have another lack luster year and Turd pulls the plug. Hire someone new. What changes other than the unknown of waiting another 2 years at minimum to see for improvement? Just don't have the patience for another rebuild and wait and see.
Maybe he hires a coach that can actually coach and it doesn’t have to be a rebuild.

DrinkItIn

Running Back
Elite Member
tPB OG

Fear of the unknown sucks...I totally agree with that. I guess I would rather keep trying to be great again than just settle for okay. I am not ready to pull the yet....but I need to see substantial progress this year.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Fear of the unknown sucks...I totally agree with that. I guess I would rather keep trying to be great again than just settle for okay. I am not ready to pull the yet....but I need to see substantial progress this year.
Not that I'll stop being a fan or anything or won't care, it'll just be that I care a lot less and won't pay attention to the offseason, or atleast won't care during the offseason. I'll read shit and just be like sweet show it on the field. I hate "that guy" right now but if Frost then I just know I'll become "that guy". Not that I'm settling for future okay status, just not going to get juiced up for a positive practice report or care to know that the HC is bangin a hot waitress at Gate 25 on the side. Cool, show me in September.

Ext. 55

Big Poppa
Elite Member
tPB OG
Not that I'll stop being a fan or anything or won't care, it'll just be that I care a lot less and won't pay attention to the offseason, or atleast won't care during the offseason. I'll read shit and just be like sweet show it on the field. I hate "that guy" right now but if Frost then I just know I'll become "that guy". Not that I'm settling for future okay status, just not going to get juiced up for a positive practice report or care to know that the HC is bangin a hot waitress at Gate 25 on the side. Cool, show me in September.
All of this.

DrinkItIn

Running Back
Elite Member
tPB OG

Why do you care more if Frost is the coach than if someone else was?

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Why do you care more if Frost is the coach than if someone else was?
Honestly? It's a really soft reason lol but I've never been shy about it. To me it's a feel good story of a program that once was. I'm a little too young to fully remember the 90s even though I was definitely alive. Tom retired when I was 5. My first real memory is Crouch's Heisman year. With all the struggles we've had since I've grown up and the complete and utter downfall of a once great program, it would be an incredible story if Frost could bring it back given his connection to the program and how long we've been down for. Plus, with everything he preaches about life in general and wanting to take care of his players, I've just always been hoping that he was going to be my generation's Tom Osborne.

Still holding out hope for that part but I'm perfectly willing to acknowledge that what he's been doing isn't working so far.

Just with all the investment that I've put in during his tenure, if it fails, after just the shit program we've been since I've been a young man and now adult since Tom retired, I'm just not going to put that same investment into it anymore and will cheer on Saturdays and really not care what the weight room videos of signing day press conferences say anymore.

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
Honestly? It's a really soft reason lol but I've never been shy about it. To me it's a feel good story of a program that once was. I'm a little too young to fully remember the 90s even though I was definitely alive. Tom retired when I was 5. My first real memory is Crouch's Heisman year. With all the struggles we've had since I've grown up and the complete and utter downfall of a once great program, it would be an incredible story if Frost could bring it back given his connection to the program and how long we've been down for. Plus, with everything he preaches about life in general and wanting to take care of his players, I've just always been hoping that he was going to be my generation's Tom Osborne.

Still holding out hope for that part but I'm perfectly willing to acknowledge that what he's been doing isn't working so far.

Just with all the investment that I've put in during his tenure, if it fails, after just the shit program we've been since I've been a young man and now adult since Tom retired, I'm just not going to put that same investment into it anymore and will cheer on Saturdays and really not care what the weight room videos of signing day press conferences say anymore.
I'll always support Frost because he's a Nebraska boy like me and I have no problem admitting that. Also because he's clearly trying to replicate Osborne's program and I want that

DrinkItIn

Running Back
Elite Member
tPB OG

That is a very well-thought-out and great response. I have zero issues with that. I am in my early forties I have many great memories of the dominance the Huskers once had.

I can honestly say, while I enjoyed Frost as a player, he was never one of my favorites. He won NU a NC but will still never be one of my favorite QBs for NU.

I am still holding out hope as well. It would be an amazing storybook ending if a former player under the legendary coach Osborne gets NU back to where they belong.

I guess in the end, I just want NU to be great again...I don't care who the coach is. I do not buy that it needs to be someone with NU ties. That is ridiculous. Programs come and go and rarely is it a former player or anyone with ties to the program that makes them a great program again. Oklahoma and Alabama both tried the former player route with little success....it was an outsider that got them going again.

Black Dean

Dean but also Black
Insider
tPB OG

Like you I have vivid memories of the 90s run as I was only 8 when Osborne retired and was more occupied riding my bike with the neighborhood kids at that age.

I really didn’t start paying attention greatly till 2001, when Eric Crouch was QB (family friend) and it all clicked. Half my family are Sooner fans so it’s definitely been tough.

I never got to experience a freaking conference championship (let alone a Natty) and I been watching Nebraska football and following the ins and outs religiously the past 20 years.

I wasn’t a huge fan of Solich as I believed his offense was behind the times in 2002-2003, but loved the defense for sure in 2003. I remember Williams coming off the edge and sacking every damn QB that year…I remember Bo screaming at Snyder after we got our buttskicked and was embarrassed by it.

I really got into recruiting when Callahan was hired, wasn’t a fan of the hire (8th choice?) but supported him till his last season. Was in favor of TO letting him revamp his staff to keep him on, but Cally was too stubborn to fire Cosgrove so he was shown the door as well.

Although I was embarrassed by Bo’s actions with Snyder in 2003 I was extremely happy when he was named HC. Especially after the NC run LSU made. Glad he was named over Turner Gill.

Loved watching Ganz and especially Taylor Martinez, felt husker fans always give him the most flack that he doesn’t deserve. Outside of Zach Taylor he has been the best QB Nebraska has had since Crouch in 2001.

Although I wasn’t happy with Bo’s antics, him winning 9-10 games a year and challenging for the division titles and making conference championship games were honestly enough for me. I did not want to see Nebraska fire another 9-win coach and be stuck hiring a coach nobody wanted….and yet we did.

When Riley was named HC I actually remember I was at work and said “Who the fuck is that?” Had to Google him and thought he retired long ago. I was skeptical of all the talks of how he would finally breakout as a coach at 95 years old with all the resources we offered him that Oregon State couldn’t.

We really can’t thank Barry enough (should have been named HC after Osborne) for giving us Eichorst and Riley. Tremendous suggestions by him and truly him looking out for the greater good of husker football……..🙄

Frost goes undefeated and spanks Auburn with UCF and comes home. I was a little skeptical of him bringing his entire staff with him to Nebraska, but wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I was really against him turning down Joe Borrow (Nebraska’s second time doing so) as a transfer as I thought it would be perfect to let our young new 4-star QB Redshirt and learn the system while Borrow QB’d the Huskers for a couple years. Obviously he wasn’t better then what we had per Frost and as we all know the rest is history with Burrow and his marginal play in Louisiana 😭

I stated when Frost was hired I didn’t care honestly what he did in year 1, I just wanted the culture flipped. So I wasn’t upset at all at the results. Year 2 I wanted us to make a bowl game, when I saw the same mistakes and same excuses in year 2 I just 🤦🏼‍♂️. I agreed with Urban Meyer 💯 when he stated when you take over a new team those aren’t the previous staff players, those are your new players and treat them as such. I really think the transition could have been smoother in that regard.

Year 3 I was hoping for 9 wins, obviously with COVID that was impossible with an 8-game schedule, so I was just hoping for a winning record, didn’t happen.

You could say I am hoping for 9-wins this year, when really I’m just still hoping to have a winning record, go to a bowl game and win. I just want the excuses to stop with this coach (he was making them when Moos “retired” saying he can now 💯 focus on football…derp)

The next 2-seasons are time to put up or shut up Frost. That simple. Stop trying to cancel the Oklahoma game, crying about playing Ohio State or whatever the previous AD was having you do….time to produce.

sorry for the ranting novel. I just poured myself a drink after that one…

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Like you I have vivid memories of the 90s run as I was only 8 when Osborne retired and was more occupied riding my bike with the neighborhood kids at that age.

I really didn’t start paying attention greatly till 2001, when Eric Crouch was QB (family friend) and it all clicked. Half my family are Sooner fans so it’s definitely been tough.

I never got to experience a freaking conference championship (let alone a Natty) and I been watching Nebraska football and following the ins and outs religiously the past 20 years.

I wasn’t a huge fan of Solich as I believed his offense was behind the times in 2002-2003, but loved the defense for sure in 2003. I remember Williams coming off the edge and sacking every damn QB that year…I remember Bo screaming at Snyder after we got our buttskicked and was embarrassed by it.

I really got into recruiting when Callahan was hired, wasn’t a fan of the hire (8th choice?) but supported him till his last season. Was in favor of TO letting him revamp his staff to keep him on, but Cally was too stubborn to fire Cosgrove so he was shown the door as well.

Although I was embarrassed by Bo’s actions with Snyder in 2003 I was extremely happy when he was named HC. Especially after the NC run LSU made. Glad he was named over Turner Gill.

Loved watching Ganz and especially Taylor Martinez, felt husker fans always give him the most flack that he doesn’t deserve. Outside of Zach Taylor he has been the best QB Nebraska has had since Crouch in 2001.

Although I wasn’t happy with Bo’s antics, him winning 9-10 games a year and challenging for the division titles and making conference championship games were honestly enough for me. I did not want to see Nebraska fire another 9-win coach and be stuck hiring a coach nobody wanted….and yet we did.

When Riley was named HC I actually remember I was at work and said “Who the fuck is that?” Had to Google him and thought he retired long ago. I was skeptical of all the talks of how he would finally breakout as a coach at 95 years old with all the resources we offered him that Oregon State couldn’t.

We really can’t thank Barry enough (should have been named HC after Osborne) for giving us Eichorst and Riley. Tremendous suggestions by him and truly him looking out for the greater good of husker football……..🙄

Frost goes undefeated and spanks Auburn with UCF and comes home. I was a little skeptical of him bringing his entire staff with him to Nebraska, but wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I was really against him turning down Joe Borrow (Nebraska’s second time doing so) as a transfer as I thought it would be perfect to let our young new 4-star QB Redshirt and learn the system while Borrow QB’d the Huskers for a couple years. Obviously he wasn’t better then what we had per Frost and as we all know the rest is history with Burrow and his marginal play in Louisiana 😭

I stated when Frost was hired I didn’t care honestly what he did in year 1, I just wanted the culture flipped. So I wasn’t upset at all at the results. Year 2 I wanted us to make a bowl game, when I saw the same mistakes and same excuses in year 2 I just 🤦🏼‍♂️. I agreed with Urban Meyer 💯 when he stated when you take over a new team those aren’t the previous staff players, those are your new players and treat them as such. I really think the transition could have been smoother in that regard.

Year 3 I was hoping for 9 wins, obviously with COVID that was impossible with an 8-game schedule, so I was just hoping for a winning record, didn’t happen.

You could say I am hoping for 9-wins this year, when really I’m just still hoping to have a winning record, go to a bowl game and win. I just want the excuses to stop with this coach (he was making them when Moos “retired” saying he can now 💯 focus on football…derp)

The next 2-seasons are time to put up or shut up Frost. That simple. Stop trying to cancel the Oklahoma game, crying about playing Ohio State or whatever the previous AD was having you do….time to produce.

sorry for the ranting novel. I just poured myself a drink after that one…
No need to apologize. I guess I’m just sick and tired of the constant coaching carousel and all that comes with it. Ya know looking back, shit I’d take Frank Solich’s 8-9 win seasons for the last 20 years if it meant consistency. I’d be absolutely fine if Bo never got fired and we were winning 9 a year and just never got over the hump. Sure, those losses hurt like hell when they happen but it’s still 9 wins and a bowl game a year. For sure I’ll take over the last 3 years. But strictly due to who Frost is, I want him to be the one to do it instead of anyone else at this point. Would be an incredible story. I got fully invested day 1 of his hire. I remember Sean unofficially announced the hire in a TT that was sent to me at work and I signed up for HOL around that same time. I won’t care as much anymore if this fails.

It’s not really Frost’s speeches or reasoning for why we’ve lost games, it’s just the continued dick punches after giving up big leads that we’ve had, or Frost’s stubbornness to go away from his play calling if it isn’t working. Frost’s stubbornness frustrates me.

I haven’t been shy about this point either but I do think the TO/Solich offense would still work today, I just think a better play caller would make it work better than Frank did. The plays and execution are there, the right buttons at the right time just need to be pressed.

We’ve done so many different things that some would call “not the Nebraska way” since Tom retired. We’ve coached from outside the program, ran different offenses, changed the roster, havent paid attention to in state recruits, missed on guys that have gone on to the NFL because they were good enough. And for what? Because the “Nebraska way” is out dated? Bullshit. It’s bullshit because it’s the only thing that has worked atleast better than average the last 30 years. That’s one of the reasons I want so bad for Frost to succeed and to continue building for a long time, because he’s 90% of the Nebraska Way there, and there seems to be an offensive shift to go the rest of the 10%. Run the Damn Ball. Those other attempts simply haven’t worked.

Frost needs 7-5 at minimum to keep my attention going forward. 6-6 probably earns him a reply of 2017 as dead man walking.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
I'll always support Frost because he's a Nebraska boy like me and I have no problem admitting that. Also because he's clearly trying to replicate Osborne's program and I want that
Another reason it would be good if Frost does well is because he won’t look for the next big job. We don’t have to worry about that bullshit.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
That is a very well-thought-out and great response. I have zero issues with that. I am in my early forties I have many great memories of the dominance the Huskers once had.

I can honestly say, while I enjoyed Frost as a player, he was never one of my favorites. He won NU a NC but will still never be one of my favorite QBs for NU.

I am still holding out hope as well. It would be an amazing storybook ending if a former player under the legendary coach Osborne gets NU back to where they belong.

I guess in the end, I just want NU to be great again...I don't care who the coach is. I do not buy that it needs to be someone with NU ties. That is ridiculous. Programs come and go and rarely is it a former player or anyone with ties to the program that makes them a great program again. Oklahoma and Alabama both tried the former player route with little success....it was an outsider that got them going again.
I’ll say this, and this isn’t directed directly at you, but more the fan base. I think we can all probably agree that if Frost fails, they’ll go to an outsider to try that again. I don’t think Kiffin takes on the rebuild after going through what Frost has gone through. If that happens, then Nebraska’s past needs to be let go completely and the “Run the Damn Ball” guy needs to retire it, because Frost is the last disciple of Tom.

If Frost fails, and people let the past go, and RTDB guy retires his hat, then yeah I won’t care whose hired next. But as long as we continue to talk about the past, even if Frost is gone, then I’m just going to watch quietly because those things don’t line up anymore

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I want every part of that. But I don’t want the spread anymore. Never thought I’d say it but I’m a Run the Damn Ball guy

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
I have zero faith in Held right now to pick the correct back, look at year 1. Ozigbo starts off 3rd or 4th, even under Riley you could see he was clearly talented, I was a huge fan of him then and was disappointed when the first depth chart came out and seeing where he was placed, but assumed the JUCO back and what was in front of him must have been heads better. So I was fine…till the season actually started and saw the product on the field.
That's why I think having Ron Brown back is huge. Like him or not his run of RBs was very good. Hopefully we can get some of that back.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
I know it’s hard to say as we have seen Smothers in limited action, but do you think he is better than LM?
From everything I've been told I would say yes.

I still have reservations of him not being able to push the ball downfield. I think they would be fine in the short term with him.

I never felt like that with Luke. I wanted him at slot and use him as a wildcat QB.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds