Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

How would you fix college football? (1 Viewer)

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
I’m talking about the structure of the sport, how the postseason works, how crowning a champion works, how paying players works, how conferences work, how to honor traditions and quirks that made CFB unique for all those years, player movement, coach movement, gimme your best shot at how YOU would structure the sport.

And be real about it! It seems like tons of people agree that CFB is kind of in shambles right now, and yet the money/tv ratings/etc. give the powers-that-be no reason to change anything…

To me it seems like some kind of grand pause button is needed to get everything straightened out for the future of the sport, so if YOU were in charge, how would it all work?

Lfaller23

Defensive Lineman
Elite Member
I’m sure there will be some things I put in here that are dumb and not totally thought through but whatevs. Also, first things first, we need to find a way to separate football from all other sports within athletics. Shouldn’t be making decisions for the softball/baseball/swimming/track teams due to money in football. Go back to regional conferences for all sports not football.

Season structure/schedule:

Split power 5(now 4) and group of 5 into different divisions. Power 4 becomes 4 18 or however many team conferences, 2 divisions in each. Conference championship game becomes de facto playoff play-in game or just first round of playoff. (Or keep 12 team playoff and division winners are in and 4 at large teams, in which case at large teams can’t be top 4 in order to get a bye).

No need to have a month between regular season and championship. Start playoff right after regular season and championship game is played weekend after Christmas.

High school singing day:

No reason signing day should fall during the most important time in the season. Move the first signing day to before the season in august. This should help the athletes that truly want to get their recruitment over before their senior year starts. All others wait to sign in February. (Maybe allow kids to sign anytime from august to February if they want?) This also allows all coaching movement to be done in January and then kids can sign in February.

Transfer portal window:

Move this to directly after the championship is over. Open for 2 weeks. Then the next window opens after spring semester.

NIL:

Remove collectives and make NIL truly based on the free market. Athletes can hire their own agents if they want, but only able to make money on their NIL based on their own marketing/business.

Allow athletic departments to create a country wide (per sport) salary cap for teams to pay their players (pay for play is basically in place now anyways). Example: football has 10 mil, men’s basketball 3 mil, baseball 1 mil and so on. This will be voted on each athletic year for each sport. Spread it throughout your roster as you wish, but this is public knowledge (even for private schools). All athletes know how much everyone is getting paid, transfers know how much each team has to offer, and so on.

This is all I’ve got so far and I understand most likely none of this will ever happen. We need more structure though and I think a lot of this makes a lot of sense. But shit what do I know 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edit: forgot to mention bowl games. I saw someone mention moving bowl games to the beginning of the next year which I like. Just not sure how to implement. Would be a good way to start the next year though with a bunch of bowl matchups to start the year for out of conference play.

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
Transfer portal window:

Move this to directly after the championship is over. Open for 2 weeks. Then the next window opens after spring semester.
I think the sport really needs to re-think the entire transfer portal schedule as it's made an utter shambles out of the bowl games.

I had the same thought as you, then wondered if it would allow the kids time to finish the re-recruiting process (visits, etc.) and THEN enroll in time for the spring semester to allow the transfer players to participate in Spring football. How the powers that be are going to work through this will be interesting to track, but what's in place now isn't working (IMO).

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
I think the sport really needs to re-think the entire transfer portal schedule as it's made an utter shambles out of the bowl games.

I had the same thought as you, then wondered if it would allow the kids time to finish the re-recruiting process (visits, etc.) and THEN enroll in time for the spring semester to allow the transfer players to participate in Spring football. How the powers that be are going to work through this will be interesting to track, but what's in place now isn't working (IMO).
It all went goofy when players didn’t have to sit and lose a year. Unless a coach leaves or there is a very good reason for the kid to leave the team they should lose the year I think

Lfaller23

Defensive Lineman
Elite Member

As the calendar stands now there’s no way to make it work really. I think it’s stupid to have a month between the conference championship and the playoff championship. If they move it up, then there would be at least two weeks after the game before the spring semester starts which would be enough time.

Mr.Bojangles

Offensive Lineman
I’m talking about the structure of the sport, how the postseason works, how crowning a champion works, how paying players works, how conferences work, how to honor traditions and quirks that made CFB unique for all those years, player movement, coach movement, gimme your best shot at how YOU would structure the sport.

And be real about it! It seems like tons of people agree that CFB is kind of in shambles right now, and yet the money/tv ratings/etc. give the powers-that-be no reason to change anything…

To me it seems like some kind of grand pause button is needed to get everything straightened out for the future of the sport, so if YOU were in charge, how would it all work?
Scrap NIL and Go back to normal conferences.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
I’m sure there will be some things I put in here that are dumb and not totally thought through but whatevs. Also, first things first, we need to find a way to separate football from all other sports within athletics. Shouldn’t be making decisions for the softball/baseball/swimming/track teams due to money in football. Go back to regional conferences for all sports not football.

Season structure/schedule:

Split power 5(now 4) and group of 5 into different divisions. Power 4 becomes 4 18 or however many team conferences, 2 divisions in each. Conference championship game becomes de facto playoff play-in game or just first round of playoff. (Or keep 12 team playoff and division winners are in and 4 at large teams, in which case at large teams can’t be top 4 in order to get a bye).

No need to have a month between regular season and championship. Start playoff right after regular season and championship game is played weekend after Christmas.

High school singing day:

No reason signing day should fall during the most important time in the season. Move the first signing day to before the season in august. This should help the athletes that truly want to get their recruitment over before their senior year starts. All others wait to sign in February. (Maybe allow kids to sign anytime from august to February if they want?) This also allows all coaching movement to be done in January and then kids can sign in February.

Transfer portal window:

NIL:

Remove collectives and make NIL truly based on the free market. Athletes can hire their own agents if they want, but only able to make money on their NIL based on their own marketing/business.

Allow athletic departments to create a country wide (per sport) salary cap for teams to pay their players (pay for play is basically in place now anyways). Example: football has 10 mil, men’s basketball 3 mil, baseball 1 mil and so on. This will be voted on each athletic year for each sport. Spread it throughout your roster as you wish, but this is public knowledge (even for private schools). All athletes know how much everyone is getting paid, transfers know how much each team has to offer, and so on.

This is all I’ve got so far and I understand most likely none of this will ever happen. We need more structure though and I think a lot of this makes a lot of sense. But shit what do I know 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edit: forgot to mention bowl games. I saw someone mention moving bowl games to the beginning of the next year which I like. Just not sure how to implement. Would be a good way to start the next year though with a bunch of bowl matchups to start the year for out of conference play.
I’m okay with the early signing date, but I think a player should be able to officially commit any time before it.

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
Im not sure everything is in shambles. I think people who are uncomfortable with conference realignment and the kids making money feel that way. Those are two things people will have to get use to.
I think that’s way too simplistic. My point is mostly that there seems to be a past version of the sport and an inevitable future of the sport, and right now we’re stuck in a middle ground where nothing quite fits right.

Conference realignment is here to stay, but it’s absurd to pretend they’re still “conferences” the way they used to be. Paying players has been a looong time coming, but it’s absurd to do this phony NIL system where everyone pretends it’s not pay for play and there’s no transparency or regulation. People wanted a playoff because polls relied on a group of voters, well now we have a playoff and it’s…also decided by an even smaller group of voters!

That’s the kind of stuff that people roll their eyes at. The sport has become a weird choose-your-own-adventure book where there is no clear plot haha.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
The NCAA is trying to get national legislation to put the genie back in the bottle, but that's probably not going to go great so just buckle up and enjoy whatever ride you're going to be on for the next decade or two

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
The NCAA is trying to get national legislation to put the genie back in the bottle, but that's probably not going to go great so just buckle up and enjoy whatever ride you're going to be on for the next decade or two
I really don’t think it’s going to take that long to shake out, but as a “fan” all I can do is sit back and watch it play out.

Lfaller23

Defensive Lineman
Elite Member
I’m okay with the early signing date, but I think a player should be able to officially commit any time before it.
Yeah I’m fine with having two signing days. I just think it makes more sense to have the first one before the semester begins, then the second can be in February after the first round of transfer portal, coaching carousel is relatively done, etc.

With the first signing day being before the fall though, I’d be okay with them just saying an athlete can sign anytime they want between august and February. That allows early enrollees to do so if they please, and curbs teams from sending out offers to players they have no interest in ever taking (slow-playing).

HuskerDocCo

100 & havin fun GBR !!
tPB OG

Larry, i wood unzip my pants and fvck it in the ass! !!., thanks !!

Ripping Lips

And I ain’t talking about fish
Elite Member
Maybe to alleviate some of the portal issues, do away with spring ball so there’s no incentive to be there early and maybe have fall practice start a few weeks early or something like mini camps. There can still be winter conditioning and workouts, but do away with the spring games all together.

Another way is make a clause in the NIL contracts if they sit out during the bowl games unless declaring for the draft, thier NIL check bounces. But then again, that could be a negative.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds