Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

How old were you when you first hit $100k or over in yearly salary/earnings? (1 Viewer)

redzoner

Cornerback
37 for just my salary. Could have been sooner in the software field but I played the longer game and am now a part owner of my company .

RoscoePound

Bench Warmer
Elite Member
I know Pickle Smoochers mafia and all that in Omaha, but objectively Pickle Smoochers is not at all a good law school - UNL is a better bet albeit still not a good one
UNL was pretty good value when I went '08-10. I think it was around $9,000/year (wife was working so didn't need room and board). Crayton was $27,000/year I believe. Allowed me to make partner in the accounting profession much quicker. However, you are absolutely correct, it can be a terrible financial decision.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
UNL was pretty good value when I went '08-10. I think it was around $9,000/year (wife was working so didn't need room and board). Crayton was $27,000/year I believe. Allowed me to make partner in the accounting profession much quicker. However, you are absolutely correct, it can be a terrible financial decision.
For law school?

BluesBucksNHuskers

Running Back
Elite Member
A couple things I noticed in my mid 30s;
1. Money absolutely buys happiness, but there’s a lot of other ways besides being broke to fuck up your happiness.

2. There’s a line at an amount of money you make, that making more adds absolutely no value to your life.

When my wife and I hit the income level that anything we want to buy we can, it was amazing how quickly we stopped giving a shit about being promoted. We focused more on carving out roles for ourselves where we can sustain our income and work less with less pressure. I probably average working between 25-30 hours a week/year and take off 5-6 weeks of vacation a year - would happily drop back below that 100k/year mark in order to keep that.

MrKnightedHusker

Linebacker
Elite Member
The majority of responses ITT will be from high earners or those with careers who clearly aren't in it for the money. I've seen this thread once a year on tMB for years.

It's a trade off. Most who are highly compensated aren't passionate about their career and vice versa. I chose money, but the definition of rich depends on perspective.

Edit: And to Or
Most highly compensated people I’ve met are very passionate - it’s a component of their success.

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG
I tell people now it’s not worth it unless you’re going to an elite school and willing to ride out big law for 3-4 years or you get a massive scholarship - Lincoln and Pickle Smoochers both carry a ton of risk unless you’re going for nearly free.

1. I absolutely agree on the full ride. Full ride at average law schools ranked in the 60-100 range >>> paying full price for an above average law school in the 30-60 range. Only going to a top 30 law school is worth taking out student loans for a JD. (In my opinion)

2. Caveat: if you’re going to practice in a “rural” (meaning not in a metro) part of any Midwestern, Southern or Great Plains state than that State’s flag ship school is actually a better choice than fancy pants school. Example: in rural Kansas a law degree from KU/Washburn > Univ of Chicago Law.
Of course this is a fairly rare example and if someone planned on going to a rural part of one of these states they would likely just go to the state school anyways.

3. Pickle Smoochers sucks. Every stupid kid I knew in undergrad that was trying to go to law skewl ended up at Pickle Smoochers, UMKC, Tulsa, OKC law or any of the other bottom tier law schools.

herbsinator

Running Back
Elite Member
I know Pickle Smoochers mafia and all that in Omaha, but objectively Pickle Smoochers is not at all a good law school - UNL is a better bet albeit still not a good one
UNL is fine. Just have to get good grades.

Goskers07

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
Do I get to count the wife's salary? She introduces herself as doctor, so that helps.

Me alone, I'll probably never hit it for base salary unless I make a career change.

Adolph Coors

Fat
Elite Member
32. i havent really come close. 70 a couple times. ill haveva chance to get there in 5 years or so. Wife makes up for it.

Frogsker30

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Do I get to count the wife's salary? She introduces herself as doctor, so that helps.

Me alone, I'll probably never hit it for base salary unless I make a career change.
Ditto!! I may hit 100K but not as soon as my wife will (She's finishing up her MD/Phd Fellowship)

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds