Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

How old were you when you first hit $100k or over in yearly salary/earnings? (1 Viewer)

Frogsker30

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
im 26 haven't hit close to that yet. only about 63K. But only 30k in student loans (including grad school). Plan on going back to grad school to help get to that 100k. but right now I have a great job I love that has an amazing pension plan.

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
29 for me, which as it happens was last year. Although if you looked at my take home pay you'd expect I make $50k.
I remember by first breakout year in IT consulting (year two, in the '90's) and was overjoyed at the gross #. At tax time, I realized that I paid more in Federal income tax that year than I made in gross compensation when I left the LTL trucking industry only two years prior. It was a helluva eye opener. Sheeeeit - I need some more deductions! This W-2 income stream is killing me taxwise!

Mavsker

Big Ten referee
tPB OG
I remember by first breakout year in IT consulting (year two, in the '90's) and was overjoyed at the gross #. At tax time, I realized that I paid more in Federal income tax that year than I made in gross compensation when I left the LTL trucking industry only two years prior. It was a helluva eye opener. Sheeeeit - I need some more deductions! This W-2 income stream is killing me taxwise!
That's crazy. The taxes are pretty unforgiving. I'm also in the rail industry so instead of paying into social security I pay into railroad retirement, which takes an extra 5%. So $100k is the social security equivalent of $95k right off the bat. Then federal and state income taxes, health insurance, etc. Then I take out $450/month to max out a dependent care savings account for a portion of daycare and put about $1000/month into my 401k which as of October* had underperformed my savings account over the last 7 years. I've been tempted give up on that and just start buying real estate.

Last edited:

KidsSeeGhosts

Quarterback
Elite Member
That's crazy. The taxes are pretty unforgiving. I'm also in the rail industry so instead of paying into social security I pay into railroad retirement, which takes an extra 5%. So $100k is the social security equivalent of $95k right off the bat. Then federal and state income taxes, health insurance, etc. Then I take out $450/month to max out a dependent care savings account for a portion of daycare and put about $1000/month into my 401k which has underperformed my savings account over the last 7 years. I've been tempted give up on that and just start buying real estate.
We own two rental properties and my wife tries to talk me into selling at least every 2 months.

RedSavage

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
That's crazy. The taxes are pretty unforgiving. I'm also in the rail industry so instead of paying into social security I pay into railroad retirement, which takes an extra 5%. So $100k is the social security equivalent of $95k right off the bat. Then federal and state income taxes, health insurance, etc. Then I take out $450/month to max out a dependent care savings account for a portion of daycare and put about $1000/month into my 401k which has underperformed my savings account over the last 7 years. I've been tempted give up on that and just start buying real estate.
Aaron Paul What GIF by Breaking Bad

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
It's good retirement income though. Forced savings.

vailhusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
29 for me, which as it happens was last year. Although if you looked at my take home pay you'd expect I make $50k.

That's crazy. The taxes are pretty unforgiving. I'm also in the rail industry so instead of paying into social security I pay into railroad retirement, which takes an extra 5%. So $100k is the social security equivalent of $95k right off the bat. Then federal and state income taxes, health insurance, etc. Then I take out $450/month to max out a dependent care savings account for a portion of daycare and put about $1000/month into my 401k which as of October* had underperformed my savings account over the last 7 years. I've been tempted give up on that and just start buying real estate.
When I saw your first post I was going to ask if you worked for the railroad. 🤣

nja13

2x All-state FG/PAT holder
Elite Member
I was 23 when a friend of my dad’s hired me to move to Nebraska to mentor college age kids. I haven’t actually seen any of the money yet, but well over 100k is coming my way. I’m 24 now, so maybe that’s the actual answer.

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
I was 23 when a friend of my dad’s hired me to move to Nebraska to mentor college age kids. I haven’t actually seen any of the money yet, but well over 100k is coming my way. I’m 24 now, so maybe that’s the actual answer.
The check is in the mail strategy? LOL.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds