Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

How long to fix the offense? (1 Viewer)

tman87

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Sims is a slow blinker. Very slow blinker. Gotta simplify the pass game for him unfortunately.

He's big and athletic and seems to be a very good runner, and also seems to make good decisions (so far) on reads on whether to hand off or run it himself. I think he has the chops to run a true option style offense. And TBH, for this year, I think we'd win more games running a true option style offense.

But that isn't likely to happen. We don't seem to have any other QB's that will be better. Haarberg is likely as good a runner, hell, maybe even better running than Sims. But anyone think HH is gonna be even adequate in the passing game? Not likely.

Purdy has not shown anything to believe he would be a competent option at QB for us. Would love to be wrong about that.

I don't think we have a competent real QB on the roster. So make do with what we have - which means adjust play calling to our strengths. Running 3 pass plays with 10 minutes in the 4th up on the road is not calling plays to our strengths. And it is the opposite of what Rhule said he wanted us to be as a team in the 4th qtrs. We pissed the 4th qtr down our legs grasping a loss out of an almost sure win, yet again. I mean, you can't make this stuff up on how many games we have lost in such ways - and doing so with multipleXmultiple bone-headed calls by coaches and plays by players, going on for more than a half decade now. Not coincidental.

Huskerforlife

Head Coach
Elite Member
Still shocked by the loss. It will take time to sink in. Who the fuck scheduled Goophers instead of La. Tech or N. Illinois, or a home game at least. Bullshit scheduling.

Last edited:

Tonkasker

Safety
Elite Member
Cockeye
I don't think we have a competent real QB on the roster.

It’s a Matt Rhule year 1. I will be watching contenders’ QB races pretty closely this year. Next years’ starter is probably coming from a good G5 as a starter or great P5 as a backup.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
Sims is a slow blinker. Very slow blinker. Gotta simplify the pass game for him unfortunately.

He's big and athletic and seems to be a very good runner, and also seems to make good decisions (so far) on reads on whether to hand off or run it himself. I think he has the chops to run a true option style offense. And TBH, for this year, I think we'd win more games running a true option style offense.

But that isn't likely to happen. We don't seem to have any other QB's that will be better. Haarberg is likely as good a runner, hell, maybe even better running than Sims. But anyone think HH is gonna be even adequate in the passing game? Not likely.

Purdy has not shown anything to believe he would be a competent option at QB for us. Would love to be wrong about that.

I don't think we have a competent real QB on the roster. So make do with what we have - which means adjust play calling to our strengths. Running 3 pass plays with 10 minutes in the 4th up on the road is not calling plays to our strengths. And it is the opposite of what Rhule said he wanted us to be as a team in the 4th qtrs. We pissed the 4th qtr down our legs grasping a loss out of an almost sure win, yet again. I mean, you can't make this stuff up on how many games we have lost in such ways - and doing so with multipleXmultiple bone-headed calls by coaches and plays by players, going on for more than a half decade now. Not coincidental.
It scares me this staff thinks Sims could be the answer. We would have been better off giving Sam Hartman a big pay day. If he is our qb last night we roll Minnesota.

Juro

Sarcastic Ass
Elite Member
Bounty Hunter
Sims played pretty badly, but he's not going to have 3 picks every game.

I doubt this is the last game he loses for us, but I suspect he's also gonna look pretty solid in some other games. It was always going to be a mix of great & terrible.
It was Sims' first game in a new offense on a new team in a new conference at their home territory at night.

If by game 4 it's the same issues, then this is it.

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev 👻
Elite Member

I doubt this is the last game he loses for us, but I suspect he's also gonna look pretty solid in some other games. It was always going to be a mix of great & terrible.
He won't have 3 picks every game. Some games he'll have more than that.

Blakejc

Corporate Potato
Elite Member
We’ve been held hostage for way too long by coaches who defend a bad qb with, “well yes, he’s the reason we lost, but he’s also the only reason we were in the game in the first place.” So fucking sick of it. If someone doesn’t value the football they can’t play. If you don’t have the situational awareness to avoid a pick in the red zone find the bench.

Until you fix turnovers this is going to continue. This defense could be special. Don’t waste it on a talented runner who’s a trash qb. Go into a shell, throw as little as possible, hand it off 40 times a game to Ervin and Rhamir, and let your defense win you games.

Huskers4420

Linebacker
We’ve been held hostage for way too long by coaches who defend a bad qb with, “well yes, he’s the reason we lost, but he’s also the only reason we were in the game in the first place.” So fucking sick of it. If someone doesn’t value the football they can’t play. If you don’t have the situational awareness to avoid a pick in the red zone find the bench.

Until you fix turnovers this is going to continue. This defense could be special. Don’t waste it on a talented runner who’s a trash qb. Go into a shell, throw as little as possible, hand it off 40 times a game to Ervin and Rhamir, and let your defense win you games.

How in the world did this staff let Casey walk? All you had to do was look at Sims TD to INT ratio compared to Casey's. You need a QB in year 1 that doesn't turn the ball over more than anything.

RedSavage

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member

Oh great, so like the same thing i've seen out of our qb's for like 10+ years

Doge Wow GIF

jaihawk

Running Back
Elite Member
How in the world did this staff let Casey walk? All you had to do was look at Sims TD to INT ratio compared to Casey's. You need a QB in year 1 that doesn't turn the ball over more than anything.

I keep reading this... There's a whole lot of revisionist history on Casey. There were several stretches last year where he wasn't great, made horrible throws, etc... Take Trey Palmer away from him last year and no one has this take.

Huskers4420

Linebacker
I keep reading this... There's a whole lot of revisionist history on Casey. There were several stretches last year where he wasn't great, made horrible throws, etc... Take Trey Palmer away from him last year and no one has this take.

giphy (12).gif

Huskers4420

Linebacker
This is also a problem for another day, but we're going to need better than Kaelin in the years to come.

whoboppin

Linebacker
RUN the BAWL. Its Simple. Accept who we are this season. Play defense and run the ball.

Just run, run, run. Even Getting 2 yards a carry, Keep running the ball. Whip our OL like sled dogs until we turn them into a good running team. Have Simms throw short passes here and there and just play field position and play off defense.

Nebraska has a good runway to get some practice the next 3 games. Accept the identity and basically run 2003 Nebraska's offense substitute option with zone read.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds