Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Haarberg (1 Viewer)

kenyanfeline

Pussy Patrol
Insider
Elite Member
He plays ugly but he has some intangibles we haven’t seen in a Husker QB in a long time.

For some reason I don’t feel an impending sense of doom when he is at the reigns.

I also feel like he doesn’t give a shit what his stats are at the end of the day. He just want to win.

He’s a poor-man’s Tim Tebow and though I know he’s never going to be a top-tier QB, he may very well be the first husker QB to get us to a bowl game since 2016.

And, importantly, although he doesn’t give us a chance to beat (or almost beat) teams like Michigan like Adrian did, for some reason I feel better with him at the helm against teams like Illinois, Northwestern, etc.

Last edited:

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
(Linking for video in second tweet, ignore the first)

Man I miss Leach...

The only thing on that list I think Haarberg has on his side is he elevates the play of others around him.

I was thinking about this when I first saw Haarberg in a spring game. Haarberg just isn't accurate. Maybe I am wrong on him, but still think he needs to be a TE.

The only thing I would add to Leach's list is being a fierce competitor.

Ext. 55

Big Poppa
Elite Member
tPB OG
He plays ugly but he has some intangibles we haven’t seen in a Husker QB in a long time.

For some reason I don’t feel an impending sense of doom when he is at the reigns.

I also feel like he doesn’t give a shit what his stats are at the end of the day. He just want to win.

He’s a poor-man’s Tim Tebow and though I know he’s never going to be a top-tier QB, he may very well be the first husker QB to get us to a bowl game since 2016.

And, importantly, although he doesn’t give us a chance to beat teams like Michigan like Adrian did, for some reason I feel better with him at the helm against teams like Illinois, Northwestern, etc.
He may not be able to single handedly win it for you, but he’s gonna be all in, and he isn’t gonna fuck it up for you either.

Chi7397

Cornerback
Elite Member
I don’t know about that. He had several near interceptions v Illinois. And a few drive-killing high throws to Fidone. That will not cut it against teams with a pulse.

Yeah I gotta agree here - HH is far from a game manager/safe QB - he’s more like high risk - low to medium reward, but he is our best option at the moment.

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev 👻
Elite Member
He may not be able to single handedly win it for you, but he’s gonna be all in, and he isn’t gonna fuck it up for you either.
Kevin James What GIF by TV Land

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG

And, importantly, although he doesn’t give us a chance to beat (or almost beat) teams like Michigan like Adrian did, for some reason I feel better with him at the helm against teams like Illinois, Northwestern, etc.
This.

Also I think if you took a bunch of GT fans and made them watch NU's games 1-6 and asked for their opinions on Sims vs Haarberg they'd probably say the exact same thing you wrote. My guess is GT fans would be like 90% on Haarberg (and they saw Sims for 2.5 seasons).

There's something to having a "gamer" at QB - you need this quality. Going back recently, Armstrong had it. T-Magic had it. Tanner Lee did not have it. Sims does not have it. it. Adrian had it but it left his body every time at but cutting time in games.

It's painful when you get a guy who you know is gonna fuck up at crunch time (and they do it on schedule every time). IMHO you can't wheel these guys out if you have a half decent backup. And I think this is where Rhule is at with Sims. But I could be wrong and he could just be nursing his high ankle sprain still.

Looking back, watching the Armstrong/TMagic/Haarberg games is MUCH less ulcer-inducing than the Tanner Lee/Adrian/Sims games.

Huskers633

Cornerback
Elite Member
I'll just add that I was at the Illinois game. First game I've attended this year. On tv it appeared our WRs were not very good. And they may not be. However, all night down field guys were open and HH didn't see them or missed. Doss, Coleman, and Fidone all had multiple plays they were wide open and the ball wasn't thrown or HH missed them.

skersker

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
I'll just add that I was at the Illinois game. First game I've attended this year. On tv it appeared our WRs were not very good. And they may not be. However, all night down field guys were open and HH didn't see them or missed. Doss, Coleman, and Fidone all had multiple plays they were wide open and the ball wasn't thrown or HH missed them.
For four games that’s been the case. They’re not good, but they get open and don’t even get thrown to

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
For four games that’s been the case. They’re not good, but they get open and don’t even get thrown to
Sims missed these guys too though...so I'm not sure what you're point is. No one is saying Haarberg is a good QB - frankly he should be at FCS level, he's not good enough for a B1G starting job.

Sims couldn't see ANY open WRs in the Minnesota game - in fact he missed a WIDE open Boerkircher in the end zone and chose to throw a backbreaking INT instead. And against CU he couldn't even field snaps correctly.

All that being said, I'm actually not opposed to seeing Sims get another start. And I'm fine if we start him vs NW. I do think there's like a 5-10% chance he gets rid of SOME of the yips he had vs MN/CU and looks more like the QB he developed into in yr 3 at GT. The point @kenyanfeline was making was that, even though Haarberg and Sims suck about equally, Haarberg plays without the yips and that results in a much less-caustic viewing experience (and he's correct). But we all agree that NEITHER Sims nor Haarberg are B1G starting QBs.

YankeesJunkie

Linebacker
HH is a pretty good option as a back up/Wildcat next year, need to find a better QB next year and let Sims try his luck somewhere else.

Overall the Illinois game was by far his worst, but he had a couple plays where he evaded pressure and found the open guy just whiffed on the the throw.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
HH is a pretty good option as a back up/Wildcat next year, need to find a better QB next year and let Sims try his luck somewhere else.

Overall the Illinois game was by far his worst, but he had a couple plays where he evaded pressure and found the open guy just whiffed on the the throw.
Yeah I hope that Rhule is honest with Sims like he was with Casey and tells him he needs to move on to get solid PT. I know Rhule "hand-picked" him etc but he's gotta do it.

One other thing for the Haarberg-haters in the thread - you do have to give him some credit for the 3-1 record. I know we're all assuming that Sims would be the same 3-1 with those opponents but I've been around Nebraska FB long enough to know you never make assumptions like that. There's no guarantee that even a healthy Sims would be 3-1 over those 4 games. There's a chance his yips continued against NIU & the game spiraled out of control (lord knows we've seen that before).

Link-

Link Lyman invented the DLine shift
Elite Member

Respect the hell out of Coach Leach, but Josh Allen was able to fix his motion with the use of lasers. Need HH to do this.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds